How to increase RT attendance

  • jndunnmn
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
      So far this year we have had attendance at RT from 28 of 55 packs. How does this compare with your experience in your district?

      We're working hard to increase the usefulness/relevance of RT and make it a good experience for attendees, but how do you encourage attendance by those who've never come or may have come in the past and been bored/turned off?

      I'd like to get us up to 75/80 % of the packs, rather than the 50% we've achieved so far.

      Pack Trainer
      Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District

    • Mike Marks
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
        Jamie,

        Congratulation on your success so far! Please share with us how you
        accomplished the nearly two-fold increase.

        There are a number of fun methods to increase attendance-like offering
        different food (not just coffee & cookies), prizes, recognition,
        reduce/eliminate (boring) announcements, have greeters, provide a variety of
        activities in the same evening, make sure training is "hands-on" (not
        lecture), etc. One great idea to improve attendance is presenting a
        "special" program that's timely and has a wider appeal -- like a panel of
        experts on bullying. Reach out and invite the larger audience of parents,
        teacher and leaders to attend. Not only will that one night be a huge
        success, you are likely to see the attendance improve in the months that
        follow.

        But before you do all that, you have to ask the basic question of value. Is
        the theme and all the presentations for the month relevant? Can it be USED
        immediately? Is it interesting? When the participants leave will they feel
        like it was worth their time?

        There's also a number of methods of communication. I suggest you use them
        ALL! Send e-mail two weeks before Roundtable and two days before. Mailings
        (directly to leaders other than the Cubmaster). Announcements & posters at
        District events. Postcards targeted to units leaders who aren't attending
        saying they were "missed" (everyone WANTS to be missed!).

        I believe the two most effective methods are "word of mouth" and
        "one-on-one" communication. You can easily create a "buzz" about the
        roundtable that will snowball. Get the key leaders in the district excited
        about Roundtable -- and they will get others excited. It will become a
        monthly event they won't want to miss!

        If you have a team of volunteers who really care, they will make time to
        call. If you've made sure what they are "selling" is fun and valuable, the
        person they are calling is likely to attend. If they like what they
        experience, they will keep coming.

        To be sure -- if you create the buzz, or convince someone to attend with a
        personal invitation and you present a poor program, then you've lost them--
        probably for good or a long time. Goes back to my original comment about
        value...

        mm

        So far this year we have had attendance at RT from 28 of 55 packs. How does
        this compare with your experience in your district?

        We're working hard to increase the usefulness/relevance of RT and make it a
        good experience for attendees, but how do you encourage attendance by those
        who've never come or may have come in the past and been bored/turned off?

        I'd like to get us up to 75/80 % of the packs, rather than the 50% we've
        achieved so far.
      • Ann Puckett
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
          Incentives! Reasons to go! Marketing! We currently hold our New Essentials trainings in conjunction with our Roundtables. I think for some leaders it just one more thing to add on to a plate of thousands of other things that are required. I think having an incentive tied to them, holding them in conjunction with other things and heavy marketing may help you out. Some packs "just dont' know"...........

          jndunnmn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:So far this year we have had attendance at RT from 28 of 55 packs. How does this compare with your experience in your district?

          We're working hard to increase the usefulness/relevance of RT and make it a good experience for attendees, but how do you encourage attendance by those who've never come or may have come in the past and been bored/turned off?

          I'd like to get us up to 75/80 % of the packs, rather than the 50% we've achieved so far.

          Pack Trainer
          Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District

          Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
            This is a timely question. Make sure the UCs are encouraging their packs to come as well. I personally call each unit and make sure they remember and are planning on attending.......

            Here is another twist on the question. I recently joined the Boy Scout side and that attendance is even lower. I had a talk with one of the other newbies and he suggested we target the SPLs instead of the adult leaders. Different audience. What do you think?

            The other two answers were good but not specific enough. What do you offer as far as incentives?? How do you market?? We just started sending out postcards but to be honest the folks that do not come now, will not pay attention to them......personal opinion.......

            How do you hold NLE in conjunction with RT? Where do you fit it in? Start earlier?

            Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            connie

          • Steve & Polly
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
              At our last Cub Scout Roundtable meeting we had about 50 leaders
              representing 26 of the 36 packs in the district (72%). Getting
              leaders who have never been is a tough nut to crack. I agree with
              others that word of mouth is your best bet. Get a good program that
              distributes good information and the rest will follow (eventually).

              We have some small far-flung packs that would have to travel 30+
              miles to get to the meeting so we do what we can for them with email
              and online resources. A couple of packs have just said that they
              don't have anyone who wants to go. You do what you can.

              Our attendance went up when we "went local." We used to collect all
              the games, cheers, crafts, etc. and put them into our roundtable
              handout but it's the same type of information you can get by
              downloading Baloo's Bugle. Instead, we have printed copies of
              Baloo's Bugle available to pick up at the meeting but the roundtable
              handout we produce ourselves tries to offer information that you
              can't get anywhere else.

              For instance, we have a "Field Trip of the Month" that pertains to
              the monthly theme but the person who does it goes the extra step to
              contact the place and see what "specials" she can get for our units.
              In September we covered October's theme of "To the Rescue" and our
              field trip of the month was the Virginia Department of Emergency
              Management. They normally don't have public tours but our coordinator
              contacted them and got four time slots scheduled and units could
              simply email her to get setup. In the past we have had personalized
              tours setup at TV stations, a living history museum (included
              overnight campout), area state parks, and even a showing of The
              Pirates of Penzance!

              We also include each month a district/council calendar that lists
              local BSA events and training opportunities but we also have a
              section called "Other Neat Things Happening in <Month>." This covers
              area events at parks, museums, clubs, etc. These are things like the
              local astronomy club meetings with open telescope time, free history
              walks, holiday celebrations, special tours, fairs, etc. Most of them
              are events that leaders would not have otherwise known about. Last
              November, our local Science Museum offered free "pumpkin launchings"
              where you could bring in your Halloween pumpkins and they flung them
              about 100 yards with a trebuchet setup in fornt of the museum. Very
              popular for the Cubs!

              Then we post the handouts on the web a day or two after the meeting
              at http://cardinaldistrict.net (Click on 'CS RT Handouts' on
              the 'Quick Links' menu). At first we thought posting the information
              would dissuade people from attending the meetings but the opposite is
              true. People quickly realized that while there was good information
              in the handout, more and better information was given out verbally at
              the meeting. Indeed, the handouts best function has been to
              stimulate conversations amongst leaders.

              So, put yourself in the leaders' shoes and try to think of something
              unique or some information you can offer that will benefit the
              leaders, aid their program, and make them glad to spend about 90
              minutes with you each month. Good luck ... it sounds like you have a
              great start and good motivation!

              YIS,
              Steve

              - Steve Hutchinson, Commissioner
              - Cardinal District Cub Scout Roundtable
              - Heart of Virginia Council
              - Proud member of the Antelope Patrol of SR-501

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, jndunnmn <JNDunnMN@a...> wrote:

              > So far this year we have had attendance at RT from 28 of 55 packs.
              How does this compare with your experience in your district?

              > We're working hard to increase the usefulness/relevance of RT and
              make it a good experience for attendees, but how do you encourage
              attendance by those who've never come or may have come in the past
              and been bored/turned off?

              > I'd like to get us up to 75/80 % of the packs, rather than the 50%
              we've achieved so far.

              > YiS,
              > Jamie Niss Dunn
              > Pack Trainer
              > Pack 512
              > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              > Cub Scout Training Chair
              > 3 Rivers District

            • Mike Marks
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                UC's encouraging packs to attend & sending postcards is simply not enough!
                The leaders must see an immediate value to them in order to take time out of
                their busy lives for ANOTHER meeting.

                Personally, I ignore postcards about meetings that I feel are a waste of my
                time. When you address that basic question, you'll see attendance improve.

                I like the idea of having SPL's attend a roundtable. It could make for a
                lively evening if you were to ask them to present a program on what kids
                want out of Scouting or their leaders (without fear of retribution from
                their unit leader). I think it would be too much to ask them to attend
                every month.

                mm

                This is a timely question. Make sure the UCs are encouraging their packs to
                come as well. I personally call each unit and make sure they remember and
                are planning on attending.......

                Here is another twist on the question. I recently joined the Boy Scout side
                and that attendance is even lower. I had a talk with one of the other
                newbies and he suggested we target the SPLs instead of the adult leaders.
                Different audience. What do you think?

                The other two answers were good but not specific enough. What do you offer
                as far as incentives?? How do you market?? We just started sending out
                postcards but to be honest the folks that do not come now, will not pay
                attention to them......personal opinion.......
              • Thomas Burke
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                  regarding SPL attendance at roundtables. What about asking them what
                  program information they would like to see presented, and then put that on
                  the schedule a few months out. They now have some ownership in attending
                  the meeting.

                  re: NLE - my district will have the business part of the meeting with all
                  the announcements - about 30 minutes then break out into the various
                  smaller groups, cubs, scouts, venturers, OA (quarterly), and training. The
                  NLE goes a bit longer than the other sessions, but you do get trained. We
                  also do Youth Protection regularly. This month, I am doing a session for
                  both cubs and Scouts on the Religious Emblems Program. This supports the
                  Dec Cub theme, and if they get started now or in Dec. the cubs can finish
                  their religious emblem in time for Scout Sunday.

                  yours in Scouting.

                  Tom Burke

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                        > How do you hold NLE in conjunction with RT? Where do you fit it in? Start earlier?

                        <SoapBox>Actually this is a pet peeve of mine. When I was on Round
                        Table staff we would work our butts off putting a RT together. We
                        printed and mailed post cards to every leader every month (the staff
                        paid for this). We put together a big RT packet (the staff put this
                        together and paid for it). We twisted Cub Masters arms to get them to
                        send people from each split area (at least). We made sure that we had
                        facilities and refreshments (that the staff paid for). We put on a
                        pretty good show and we spent a bunch of time and money setting up for
                        it. We built up a good following of regular attendees. And before
                        anyone comments, we didn't mind paying for it - but we did it to get RT
                        attendance up.

                        Now, in comes the Training folk (of which I was one - but not on RT
                        night) and they would schedule a NLE or YPT over top of RT. They
                        "borrowed" one of our rooms, they used RT to promote their training and
                        then they pulled our attendees away. As RT staff, this was a bit
                        irritating. The work and the cost was the same for us (we still sent
                        out the cards, made packets that the folk going to training wanted and
                        we still had snacks that the folks from training ate).

                        Our DE said "RT is the most important meeting of the month"! Yet we had
                        to fight off being scheduled over. Only after quite a bit of discussion
                        did we get it worked out.

                        Now as trainers, I think that we need to be aware that when we double
                        book we are hurting BOTH programs even though it might be easier for us
                        (we don't have to get rooms or snacks or whatever the RT folks already
                        provide). Some people who MIGHT want to take both will pick one over
                        the other. Some of the RT staff might want to attend (or staff)
                        training and vice versa. And yes, there are probably going to be
                        people that choose RT over Training even if they need the training more.

                        Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that trainers are the only people who
                        double book but we need to remember that no operating committee lives in
                        a vacuum! </SoapBox>
                      • Teresa P Hall
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                          I can certainly see that point of view, Wendell. However, we have a
                          different one. As Cub training coordinator, I decided to hold a
                          different Cub Leader Specific training every month during RT. I
                          discussed the plan with the District Commissioner and the Cub RT
                          Commissioner before I implemented.

                          And before anyone asks, the trainees just stay later than RT, we don't
                          cut short the training.

                          We were trying to grow our RT attendance at the time.

                          Our rationale was, new leaders would come for training who would never
                          venture out for RT. We would gather in the RT room, enjoy the
                          fellowship and the snack supper, participate in the opening, hear the
                          agenda for the evening, then dismiss the training group - usually 10 or
                          less out of a Cub group of 40.

                          What we hoped was, the trainees would be exposed to RT and come back.
                          They would no longer see it as someplace "not for them," where they
                          "don't know anybody," or "just for unit leaders." It helps that we have
                          a great Cub RT commissioner and every meeting is informative and fun.

                          Has it worked? We think so. RT numbers keep on growing, and many
                          trainees do return again. So we are very proud of what we've
                          accomplished. And by "we," I mean both the training team and the Cub RT
                          staff. We're a team in every sense of the word.

                          Regarding the cost issue, the district provides the general
                          "for-everyone" handouts, and the trainees aren't there for RT
                          program-specific ones. We don't do mailings, and the RT Commish and I
                          both do emails for each other, and coordinate a mailing list that I
                          originally built from training records.

                          The only issue is the trainers having to miss RT. If they are a team,
                          sometimes they float in and out. Last month, one leader put on a program
                          segment in RT then did another segment of Den Leader LST 30 minutes
                          later.
                          But since every training has a different team, no team misses more than
                          two RT in a year.

                          So I guess, in short, sometimes it works and sometimes is doesn't!

                          Teresa Hall

                          > How do you hold NLE in conjunction with RT? Where do you fit it in?
                          Start earlier?

                          <SoapBox>Actually this is a pet peeve of mine. When I was on Round
                          Table staff we would work our butts off putting a RT together. We
                          printed and mailed post cards to every leader every month (the staff
                          paid for this). We put together a big RT packet (the staff put this
                          together and paid for it). We twisted Cub Masters arms to get them to
                          send people from each split area (at least). We made sure that we had
                          facilities and refreshments (that the staff paid for). We put on a
                          pretty good show and we spent a bunch of time and money setting up for
                          it. We built up a good following of regular attendees. And before
                          anyone comments, we didn't mind paying for it - but we did it to get RT
                          attendance up.

                          Now, in comes the Training folk (of which I was one - but not on RT
                          night) and they would schedule a NLE or YPT over top of RT. They
                          "borrowed" one of our rooms, they used RT to promote their training and
                          then they pulled our attendees away. As RT staff, this was a bit
                          irritating. The work and the cost was the same for us (we still sent
                          out the cards, made packets that the folk going to training wanted and
                          we still had snacks that the folks from training ate).

                          Our DE said "RT is the most important meeting of the month"! Yet we had
                          to fight off being scheduled over. Only after quite a bit of discussion
                          did we get it worked out.

                          Now as trainers, I think that we need to be aware that when we double
                          book we are hurting BOTH programs even though it might be easier for us
                          (we don't have to get rooms or snacks or whatever the RT folks already
                          provide). Some people who MIGHT want to take both will pick one over
                          the other. Some of the RT staff might want to attend (or staff)
                          training and vice versa. And yes, there are probably going to be
                          people that choose RT over Training even if they need the training more.

                          Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that trainers are the only people who
                          double book but we need to remember that no operating committee lives in
                          a vacuum! </SoapBox>

                          Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
                          page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/y6TolB/TM

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                              Greetings Wendell,

                              With all due respect, and I have been on both sides of this issue, I
                              think holding a training session at Roundtable is not that bad an idea.
                              1) It is a one-time shot. If you've been to NLE, then you don't ever
                              have to go again; if you've been to Youth Protection, you're good to go
                              for as long as your Council says the card is valid. So the distraction
                              is for one month at best 2) It gets folks trained who might not
                              otherwise get trained if the session was held on another night or a
                              weekend. They might be coming with their unit leader who is attending
                              Roundtable anyway. 3) It might get people who wouldn't otherwise come
                              to Roundtable interested enough in what all that noise down the hall is
                              all about to come back next month (See also #1 above). 4) Although
                              Roundtable is a Commissioner Service function, it is also about
                              Training, so it does fit - sort of.

                              Maybe you can get the Training folks to get the goodies every other
                              month. ;>)

                              YiS

                              Roy Fisher
                            • Thomas Burke
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                                The training varies, NLE is not offered each month. Last month was Youth
                                Protection. This Month is NLE. January we have our training with our
                                district Merit Badge College (both Cub and Scout Specific Training.) Often
                                we only have 1 adult present, but that is one more individual trained.

                                I guess we are running about 50% of the units participating on a good night.
                                Usually a lot fewer.

                                Tom Burke

                                > Do you get enough participation to merit an NLE every month? It seems it
                                > would be difficult to be ready to teach NLE each month and not know if
                                > anyone will need it or not..........
                                >
                                > Thomas Burke <tburke57@...> wrote:regarding SPL attendance at
                                > roundtables. What about asking them what
                                > program information they would like to see presented, and then put that on
                                > the schedule a few months out. They now have some ownership in attending
                                > the meeting.
                                >
                                > re: NLE - my district will have the business part of the meeting with all
                                > the announcements - about 30 minutes then break out into the various
                                > smaller groups, cubs, scouts, venturers, OA (quarterly), and training. The
                                > NLE goes a bit longer than the other sessions, but you do get trained. We
                                > also do Youth Protection regularly. This month, I am doing a session for
                                > both cubs and Scouts on the Religious Emblems Program. This supports the
                                > Dec Cub theme, and if they get started now or in Dec. the cubs can finish
                                > their religious emblem in time for Scout Sunday.
                                >
                                > yours in Scouting.
                                >
                                > Tom Burke

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >

                                > connie
                                >
                                > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Miss Raye
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 8, 2005
                                  Aloha, Jamie!!!

                                  I'm not sure of our numbers, but I know they are VERY LOW!

                                  our problem right now is that the 'breakout' sessions are very one-sided.. i
                                  didn't even know until recently that it's supposed to be a 'leader' breakout
                                  instead of just CUB leader and BOY leader... wow! I wish i'd known earlier!

                                  the faces I saw that the last roundtable went from dis-interested to bored and
                                  I think we need to change it big time...

                                  I think that it will be a big effort to bring back the 'once bored'...
                                  especially if they think they're doing JUST FINE without RT!

                                  What are some of the 'high points' of your RT? What information is given out
                                  that you know folks can't live without?

                                  What about doing a focus group?

                                  SEnding out invitations to CCs and CMs .. and the 'same' positions in Boy
                                  Scouting... and have them come to a Focus Group to discuss district issues...

                                  Are the events helping the boys?
                                  Are the events fun?
                                  Do we need more?
                                  What kind of training is needed the most?
                                  How can we improve communication?
                                  How can we energize the district?
                                  What can we offer at RT to keep everyone coming back?

                                  Folks love to think that those in 'power' want to know what's going on...

                                  Raye

                                  --- jndunnmn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                                  > So far this year we have had attendance at RT from 28 of 55 packs. How does
                                  > this compare with your experience in your district?
                                  >
                                  > We're working hard to increase the usefulness/relevance of RT and make it a
                                  > good experience for attendees, but how do you encourage attendance by those
                                  > who've never come or may have come in the past and been bored/turned off?
                                  >
                                  > I'd like to get us up to 75/80 % of the packs, rather than the 50% we've
                                  > achieved so far.
                                  >
                                  > YiS,
                                  > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                  > Pack Trainer
                                  > Pack 512
                                  > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                  > Cub Scout Training Chair
                                  > 3 Rivers District

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • C. P. Walker
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    Miss Raye <sweetteasutlery@...> wrote:Aloha, Jamie!!!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      What our council does is hold Roundtables as "den" meetings.....and we use the current theme of the month in "program helps". Packs take turns holding the meetings and they usually involve most of the things you would do in a den meeting. The great thing of our roundtables is you can take back a craft/game/activity/organizational skills/song to your pack that you can do that month.

                                      Each attendee receives a totem that they keep on a board and they receive a bead every month that they attend. They also have leader training sessions going on in other rooms that leaders can attend if they need to. The Boy Scout Troops and Cub Scout Packs meet seperatly.

                                      Once again, COPE would be an excellent source to use. http://www.okawbsa.org/copegames.php

                                      Make it fun and they will come!
                                    • Wendell Brown
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        R Fisher wrote:
                                        > think holding a training session at Roundtable is not that bad an idea.

                                        I hope no one takes the following (or the previous) message as a
                                        personal shot - because it's really not intended that way and I
                                        understand that there can be benefits from scheduling things this way,
                                        BUT, I truly love playing devil's advocate. ;) Here are some questions
                                        you should ask yourself:

                                        1) What message are you you sending? Are the old timers going to hear
                                        "you can go to Roundtable if you don't have a "more important" training
                                        to attend". Do the first timers hear "roundtable must not be that
                                        important, they had me go to that boring training and if roundtable is
                                        like that I don't want to waste my time"? I mean come on, RT should be
                                        WAY more fun than training - well maybe it shouldn't be it but tends to
                                        be if you follow the syllabus.

                                        2) Is the training more important than next month's program? I'm sorry
                                        but RT is unit service and it's there to help leaders plan next months
                                        program.

                                        3) How would you feel if you had publicized and planned an all day
                                        training and then your DE says, "hey, the activities committee has
                                        decided to do the district pinewood derby in the room down the hall from
                                        you. They mentioned that you already had the community center and it
                                        probably won't take that many folks away from your program...".

                                        4) What is your DE's opinion on this? You ask, "is there a problem
                                        with double booking" - he hears "do you want to work late 1 Thursday
                                        night or 2"? ;)

                                        5) Is there a reason that the RT staff couldn't attend NLE (or other
                                        training) and do a fun, up beat 30 second promo about what happens at
                                        RT, hand out a sample RT packet (btw, the attendees seemed to think the
                                        "Roundtable is fun - it's not training" line was pretty funny about
                                        midway through NLE...)? Would this get more or less recruitment than
                                        "hearing them down the hall"?
                                      • Ida Lively
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@y...> wrote:

                                          > What our council does is hold Roundtables as "den" meetings.....and we use the current
                                          theme of the month in "program helps". Packs take turns holding the meetings and they
                                          usually involve most of the things you would do in a den meeting. The great thing of our
                                          roundtables is you can take back a craft/game/activity/organizational skills/song to your
                                          pack that you can do that month.

                                          This is very similar to what we do here in Nittany Mountain District.

                                          The RT Staff planned out their year in August, and accepted responsibility for each of
                                          several items:

                                          1) Neckerchief slide -- available every month ... make a theme-related slide

                                          2) Training -- NLE is offered nearly every month with YP available on request. Months NLE
                                          is not offered, another training is offered -- i.e. March is 'Spring Recruitment'

                                          3) Game -- normally one station, often two based on the theme of the month

                                          4) Craft -- in addition to Neckerchief slides at least one station, sometimes two, again,
                                          theme related

                                          5) Specialty Training -- Normally one, often two special sessions. Last month we did
                                          'disABILITY AWARENESS/Special needs', next month we'll do more on CS Advancement

                                          6) Guest Speakers -- In December we have a special guest from Gilwell. The Ranger (I
                                          think that's his duty) and his wife are coming to visit one of our local scouters, to tour
                                          NYC, and to spend Thanksgiving. His "payment" for visiting is to meet w/ our Scouters.
                                          (Our local scouter's payment was to lead a Sunday church service at Gilwell when she
                                          visited.) In March our local Wildlife Sanctuary is bringing some wild birds to visit. How
                                          cool is that?!

                                          Additionally, phone calls, post cards, face-to-face visits and so on boost our RT
                                          attendance numbers.

                                          Ida
                                        • Dave Loomis
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                            Our Roundtable folks really go all out to provide a valuable program
                                            for all of the district. Our Cub RT folks provide the entire program
                                            helps for the following month, having the attendees make or do all of
                                            the things that their Cubs will be taught over the next month. Our
                                            Scout RT people polled their attendees as to whether they would rather
                                            learn more from the Boy Scout program helps, or do a more localized
                                            program. The Scouters decided to go with the topics that more closely
                                            track our local program. Our district Net Wizard, also our Scouting RT
                                            Commissioner, insures that our topic schedule for the next year is
                                            posted on our website. When the weather is nice, our Boy Scout RT folks
                                            do training in camp cooking and other outside training out in the
                                            parking lot.

                                            I've also run an ongoing Commissioner training class at Roundtable,
                                            one place where we had space, and the new Commissioners there already.

                                            We hold the OA monthly meetings at the Roundtable, they attend the
                                            merged first part of the meeting where announcements applicable to all,
                                            recognitions, and other material is passed out once so everyone gets the
                                            word at least once, and then we break up into breakout sessions for the
                                            Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, and OA. Others with specific problems may
                                            remain behind to discuss their problems with the individual most apt to
                                            have an answer for them.

                                            We have two or three "milk crate" hanging folder file boxes, so every
                                            unit, committee, and specific district people and Commissioners have
                                            folders, to distribute paperwork between units and the various movers
                                            and shakers in the district. I have promised any troop who brings Merit
                                            Badge Counselor registrations to Roundtable that I will approve these
                                            applications on the spot, and our DE will bring them in to council to
                                            get them added to the counselor "list" in ScoutNet. We did hands-on
                                            Internet Rechartering work, using the networked computers of the school
                                            in which we meet. We also use it as a good place to distribute Scouting
                                            for Food bags and training.

                                            In short, we try to make this meeting valuable to the unit folks, so
                                            that they will make special efforts to be there, rather than miss
                                            something of value. I've also run an ongoing Commissioner training
                                            class at Roundtable, one place where we had space, and the new
                                            Commissioners there already. About the only thing we don't currently do
                                            is to have refreshments after the Roundtable. We tried it for a while,
                                            but generally the CS RT was meeting in the cafetorium, as they were the
                                            largest group, and the cafetorium the biggest room, and the other groups
                                            would disturb the very end of the CS RT.

                                            Dave

                                            To reply, click on the address below.

                                            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                                            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                                          • R Fisher
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 9, 2005
                                              Greetings All,

                                              I take no offense at Wendell's reply, and he asks some good questions.

                                              In our case, the target audiences are usually quite different.

                                              Case in point: At our just passed November Roundtable we had a
                                              concurrent session of Health & Safety training (aka Risk Zone in some
                                              areas). There were five participants at the training. The person doing
                                              the session (me) was there prepared to train everyone who showed up. My
                                              normal involvement at Roundtable is usually that of "consultant" i.e.
                                              discussing other issues with RT attendees or District Staff or that of
                                              participative observer in the RT sessions.

                                              Of the five participants, none had ever attended Roundtable before. Of
                                              the five participants, all five had other people from their units (or in
                                              a couple of cases several people from their units) attending the
                                              "regularly scheduled" Roundtable sessions. As a result of this training
                                              session, five more people in our District have received this training.
                                              The next scheduled session for that course (not counting RT) is several
                                              months away and at the Council Service Center on a weekend. Would these
                                              five participants drive to the Service Center to attend a course they
                                              know nothing about given by someone they don't know? I have no idea;
                                              they did attend the course at RT that is 1/2 the distance to the Council
                                              Service Center and several of the participants I had met before.

                                              Will these five participants attend RT in the future? I don't know. As
                                              indicated, there are other people from their units that regularly
                                              attend, but perhaps they will "join the crowd". If they should choose
                                              to, they know where RT is and have been exposed to some of what we do,
                                              so it won't be totally unknown territory. Time will tell.

                                              I believe in our case we are trying to be "user friendly" for the units.
                                              We are constantly promoting training for adults leaders; by presenting
                                              training at a convenient time and location, I hope we are showing that
                                              we are serious about our commitment to getting leaders trained. By
                                              offering the training frequently, unit leaders can "tag team" RT and
                                              Training and as a result deliver a "quality" program to the youth
                                              members.

                                              Our DE and DD support the concept of training at RT - they want to get
                                              as many leaders trained as possible. As far as having a Pinewood Derby
                                              at RT, it might be a great idea. Maybe even invite the RT participants
                                              to build and race cars. What a hoot! At our July RT we had a
                                              Raingutter Regata for the adult leaders along with other activities.

                                              I think having RT folks do a promo at NLE (or any other training for
                                              that matter) would be an excellent idea. I will bring that suggestion
                                              to the Training Committee. The more folks that know about RT the more
                                              folks that might attend.

                                              YiS

                                              Roy Fisher