Leadership games compilation

  • Primr0z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2001
      As promised, below is the Leadership games compilation (see below my
      signature line). I want to thank all of the people who shared their ideas
      and thoughts. This only reinforces what I have thought for a long time - our
      best resources are other leaders and volunteers. My troop will be doing the
      "Juniors bridging to Cadettes" workshop next week. Will let you know how it
      turned out.

      Yours in Scouts,
      Theresa Rose
      Girl Scouts of Utah
      Cadette advisor

      ***************************
      From: "Wanda" daphni@...
      Subject: RE: Looking for Leadership games

      The Boy Scouts have some great leadership games in their patrol leaders
      training handbook. I highly suggest them!

      You've got me thinking - that would be great for program aide training and
      the leadership badge for Cadettes.

      -Wanda-
      daphni@...
      http://www.voicenet.com/~daphni/index.html
      Contributing Editor:
      http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/affectionate_hearth
      Content Manager:
      http://www.intimateprayer.com
      **********************************
      From: Seashel290
      To: Primr0z

      Dear Theresa,

      My Cadette troop also ran a Bridge to Cadettes Workshop for 55 6th graders in
      our SU. Most of the activities were run in 20 minute stations.

      Not a game ... but this is what they did for the leadership activity station.
      They used an "Are You A Leader?" questionnaire which I had taken from a book
      called Psychology for Kids (which we used a couple of years back when we were
      discussing leadership). This is one of those multiple choice, what would you
      do is such-a-such-a-situation type things like the ones which girls seem to
      enjoy taking in the teen magazines they buy. Each girl took the quiz and then
      scored it on their own. Results were not shared with the group. Then the
      girls were each asked to think of someone they considered a good leader and
      give the reasons why. Each group they made a colorful posterboard about
      "qualities of a good leader." The 6th graders seemed to enjoy this activity
      and the Cadette running it helped them make some pretty neat posters. I could
      snail mail you a copy of the Psychology for Kids sheet if you like.

      Good luck with your bridging workshop,

      Pat Broe
      Troop 290
      Massachusetts
      ***********************
      From: Beth_Katcher@... (Beth Katcher)
      To: Primr0z@...

      Hi. In our service unit we have a bridging day where the Cadettes run a
      series of activities to bridge Juniors into Cadettes. For the leadership
      segment, we usually do a talky activity. As long as all the girls are
      participating rather than having one or two Cadettes talk *at* them, it works
      well. It also works because most of the other activities are very hands-on so
      it's okay to have one or two that are less so. Also, when we are done with
      the leadership segment, we have ice cream :-). I laugh about it, but part of
      the bridging is to share what you've learned with younger scouts. So we
      invite the 5th graders for some other activity in the same
      building, including an ice cream social. Everyone has ice cream together and
      after that the girls who are bridging lead an activity. It works really well.

      For the leadership piece, the exercise is straight out of one of the
      handbooks. The girls are given a few minutes to think of 4 people who they
      think are good leaders. They list the attributes of these people. Then we go
      around the circle and put all the attributes on a flip chart. We look for
      common themes. Then we talk about why and when certain attributes are
      important. We may throw out certain scenarios where different skills are
      needed -- e.g., consensus building vs. a take-charge attitude. As I said, the
      key to making this work is to move along at a fairly quick pace and to keep
      all the girls talking.

      -- Beth
      **************************************
      From: lmcgraw@... (Lorie McGraw)
      To: Primr0z@...

      DELTA leadership games
      http://www.netwoods.com/d-leadership.html
      Scouting Games
      http://www.netwoods.com/d-games.html
      More Scouting games for all levels *Scout and Venture will have harder
      games with more leadership style)
      http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/activity/games/index.htm

      Also Woods Wisdom

      Project Adventure (has terrific games for leadership)
      http://www.pa.org/publications.asp?pubcat=1

      Any book by Karl Rohnke (started Project Adventure and COPE courses)

      Cheers
      Lorie
      ************************
      From: cwilkins@...
      To: Primr0z@...

      hi,
      have you found any resources? can you borrow a copy of the explorer
      manual, venturing leaders manual, venturing leadership skill course, or
      a copy of troop program resources?
      i think i can attach a couple of files for you, but in those manuals are
      leadership initiative games and great activities that will get the
      ladies thinking as a group.
      let me know and i'll see what i can provide for you.
      thank you for doing your work as a girl scout leader! it makes a giant
      difference in the lives of young women!
      cristi wilkins
      portland, oregon
      (i earned my gold award eons ago!)
      ***************************
      Leadership Training and Development Outline
      http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadtrn.html
      ***************************
      Irene Guijt
      iguijt@...
      Crossing the Border (an energiser)
      Activity Description:
      Learnt this from my husband, Jim Woodhill First find a straight log or other
      raised straight and fairly narrow ridge (e.g. around a raised border of
      flowers or along a footpath), up to 30 cms off the ground. It has to be long
      enough for all participants to stand on, shoulder to shoulder. Explain to the
      group that the log represents a bridge between two countries across a very
      deep gorge, with a crocodile-infested river. So falling off the log has
      disastrous consequences! Ask the group to stand on the log. With the group on
      the log, explain that the immigration gate from the country they have just
      left has been closed and they cannot return. The immigration official at the
      other end has all of their passports but they are in the opposite order to
      that in which they are lined up on the log. The official is in a bad mood and
      is refusing to let them into the country until they get themselves into the
      correct, i.e. the opposite, order. This they must do without placing any part
      of their body on the ground. Anybody who does so, has fallen into the
      crocodile-infested river.
      *************************
      Primr0z@...
      Theresa Rose

      When I was taking an American Sign Language class, we had an exercise that
      could be adapted for practicing verbal leadership skills. We had tables set
      up with the same tinker toys on opposite sides with a barrier in between
      them. One person explained to the other person how to build something with
      the tinker toy pieces. The goal was when it was finished the 2 structures
      were to be mirror copies of each other.
      ************************
      Subj:Leadership Games
      From: jlyon@... (Jean Lyon)
      To: Primr0z@...

      Theresa

      The basic Leadership training in our council uses a variety of games to teach
      or illustrate leadership skills.

      It starts off with Follow the Leader, a reminder that when in a leadership
      role everything you do and every move you make is watched and possibly
      copied, both good and bad..

      Another activity is to divide the group into smaller groups of 5 to 8 people.
      give each group a set of building toys, tinker toys, legos, or straws and
      masking tape. Tell the group that there is only one rule: To build the
      tallest structure possible. Put a time limit on the activity. Let the
      groups go at it, notice behavior that you'll want to point out later. When
      time is called ask the groups to tell you if someone became the leader of the
      group and ask them to describe their leadership style. What other roles did
      people take on, were there negotiators, abitrators,? There are good lists
      of leadership skills /traits in the Cadette and Senior handbooks to refer to.

      Another activity is the build a giant machine from the junior Creative
      Solutions Badge. Each group is asked to use their bodies to create a machine
      that a giant would have in their house. All members of the group have to
      take part in the decision and all have to be part of the machine. Following
      the group presentation of their machines which the other groups try to guess
      is a discussion of groups vs. teams. Active participation, inclusion, etc.
      Again leadership skills and traits can be looked at.

      These games have made the training fun and I've used them a couple of times
      with older girls in leadership activities and bridging activities.

      Jean Lyon
      jlyon@...
      **************************
      From: johnsl@...

      I would try a type of charades. Come up with some ideas like building
      something like a house out of blocks or have them participate in a skills
      course at someones direction. Have one of the girls describe to another or
      the group how to do it. Afterwards skills like listening, taking direction,
      interpretation, trust, delivery of information, etc. could be discussed and
      then compare the qualities to those of good leaders.

      Thank you,
      lyn
      ***********************
      From: cbrouillet@...

      One of the games that my Cadettes play with our Juniors is "Never have you
      ever". A circle is formed with chairs minus one. There is one girl in the
      circle and she comes up with something that she has never done. Then she says
      this and any girl that has ever done this must jump up and try to beat
      everyone to a vacant chair. The one that is left out must come up with
      "never have I ever". They always enjoy this because it is very active.

      Another game is that you form your cirlce with chairs for every girl. You
      will need a starting place and the girls will slap their legs twice and clap
      twice and say their name and then someone elses name that is in the cirlce.
      Then it starts all over again with the girls name that was said last to say
      her name and someone else. In between names you slap your legs and clap your
      hands. Everyone must be alert and try to remember to say their name plus
      someone elses name. If they get mixed up and forget they must move to the
      starting chair and everyone moves around to the vacant chair.

      These games are lots of fun and everyone gets to know each other better.

      Hope this helps.

      YIGS,
      Carolyn

      <there was a ?? from another leader after this posting wanting to know if
      inappropriate topics come up during this game>
      ***********************
      From: Jeannie Craddock <GSLFrog@...>

      I use a lot of role playing and "teach backs" during my program aide classes
      and I see no reason why it would not work for Cadettes teaching Juniors. For
      role playing, I divide them into groups of two or three and hand each group a
      situation card -something that they might run into in a position of
      leadership and allow them to show the rest of the group how they might
      resolve it. Then the group is polled as to whether they have alternative ways
      that might also
      work. This is done as each group plays their role.

      For 'teach backs", I give each group of two or three a book of games and
      allow them to pick a game that they would like to teach the group. They can
      usually guage the effectiveness of their teaching method by how quickly the
      group is picking up on how the game is played. Sometimes they might need a
      prompt during the process of teaching (ie: "use your best playground
      voice-they can't all hear you!") but generally I try to stay in the
      background with my hands in my pockets.

      With songs, I have a ton of Daisy age level songs with familiar tunes but
      words that need to be taught. Only the group of songleaders (2-3 because very
      few girls at that age want to lead a song by themselves) :) have a song
      sheet. The rest of the group must learn the words to the song from the
      songleaders. This is always a neat learning experience because almost always
      goes up to the front and sings the song all through and then expects the
      group to sing with them
      the next time which usually falls flat. Suggestions are then made about
      breaking the song into manageable parts-"I'll sing a line and you sing it
      back", etc.

      These are just some of the tools that I use because I don't like the "Blah,
      blah, blah" either.

      YIS
      =====
      Jeannie
      Girl Scouts of San Gorgonio Council

      "If I had two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they
      will feed my soul."

      The Koran
      **************************
      From: "Esther A. Heller" esther@...

      Theresa,

      I don't have any game suggestions, just a suggestion on something to watch
      out, for based on experience. There is a rule of thumb regarding one age
      level teaching another, namely skip one (or close to one.) So for example: at
      our local Day Camp, Cadette Aides work with Brownie or
      Daisy units; Seniors would work with the Junior units and only Adults work
      with the Aides and other Cadette units. If the age difference isn't enough,
      there is a tendency among either set of girls to think of the other as
      themselves. So the older girls may not step up to the leadership role or the
      younger ones may not take them seriously at it. Either case will require more
      leadership on the part of the adults. It's still a good experience and
      bringing the neighboring age groups together is a great for many reasons.

      Leadership is really a hard thing to teach. Role modeling goes a long way
      (just watch them "being" you when they lead, especially younger girls) and
      debriefing after experiences aka evaluation comes next. And these
      discussions, at least in my troop, are far from passive. This is the kind of
      thing that does require talking. Maybe you need to get your girls into an
      active (you ask questions, they answer) session on what they think leadership
      is. The section in
      the Cadette handbook is a great place to start. Then let them try to develop
      or choose their own game.

      Esther A. Heller esther@...
      Independent Consultant & Trainer http://www.galarc.com/

      "A girl is watching.....what is she learning about being a woman?"
      E.Debold, M.Wilson, I.Malave from "Mother Daughter Revolution"
      ******************************
      From: "Michael Brown" <emb021@...>

      Check out Project Adventure (www.pa.org). They are a great source of
      adventure/team building/iniatitive games etc. Some of the best books are by
      Karl Rohnke. Here are some from my own library:

      Silver Bullets, Karl Rohnke, Project Adventure 1984
      Quicksilver, Karl Rohnke & Steve Butler, Kendall-Hunt, 19xx
      Cowstails & Cobras II, Karl Rohnke, Kendall-Hunt, 1989
      Bottomless Bag Again, 2nd, Karl Rohnke, Kendall-Hunt, 1994
      Funn Stuff, v1, Karl Rohnke, Kendall-Hunt, 1995 (3 volumes so far)
      Backpocket Adventure, Karl Rohnke
      Youth Leadership in Action, Project Adventure

      Another series of books, now long out of print is:
      The New Games Book, New Games Foundation, 1976
      More New Games

      Altho there is a new one from people associated with this group:
      New Games for the Whole Family

      The stuff from PA is the basis of the BSA's Project COPE, and they reprint a
      lot of their games in the Project COPE book, as well as the Venturing Leader
      Manual.

      Hope this helps

      Michael Brown
      Venturing Crew #1838
      ************************
      From: gscindy@... (cinna)

      How about . . .Divide girls into groups. Give an equal amount of supplies
      (wrapping paper tubes, paper towel tubes, tape, string, etc. and a marble)
      and a time limit. They have to build a marble run starting at the top of the
      back of a chair (or something else you have enough of - we did it with
      ladders). It has to go all the way around the chair (at least 3 turns) before
      it gets to the floor. Then you can time each one if you want, and see who's
      goes the fastest.

      This can be adapted to 'build' other things too. It teaches teamwork and
      leadership.

      Hope this helps,
      Cindy Wilmoth
      Cadette/Senior Troop #738
      Western Reserve Girl Scout Council
      Akron, Ohio
      ***********************
      From: Kinnia@...

      This reminds me of something we did in college-- in a class on design, the
      teacher gave us all a pile of old newpapers, some scissors and tape, and we
      were to create a structure that was able to support a pile of heavy books. It
      had to be the height of a small stool, so it wouldn't work to just stack the
      papers. The best designs were created out of paper tubes rolled up and
      bundled together, and the very best involved stacking 4 levels of shorter
      tubes with several flat pieces between them rather than one level of tall
      tubes.

      Deb Koslowsky
      Apprenticing Trainer; Daisys & Brownies
      Sunland-Tujunga SU, California, GSC of San Fernando Valley

      " 'Procedure' is what separates us from the wicked forces of chaos." --Buzz
      Lightyear
      ****************************
      From: Wgs3155@...

      Another activity: divide the girls into groups of 3 or 4 and give them equal
      sets of legos. Tell them to build the largest structure they can and give
      them a time limit....then observe. If the legos are given to them in a
      can/box, some may use that piece as a base for their structure. Some may
      build the tallest most stable structure they can. Some may simply go for
      height at any cost-----stability aside, maybe not even working as a group,
      just one girl may take over.
      At the end you can have the girls look at all the structures and
      evaluate......depending what you want them to get out of this. Talk about
      those who worked as a team, or even just use this as a tool for you to see
      which girls emerge as leaders.

      Hope this helps.
      --Aida Gennis, in Patriots' Trail GS Council-Boston
      **********************
      From: Kim GSLead
      To: Primr0z

      Have you thought of Trust Games -- My Caddette/Senior troop have really
      enjoyed them over the years...

      Examples include:
      1. Trust fall....

      2. Lead your blindfolded partner on a path.

      3. Knots: get in tight circle...everyone grabs two different people's
      hands...get untangled

      4. Hug a tree: 2 person trust walk...leader takes blindfolded person on a
      trust walk to a tree...blindfolded person feels all around the tree to try
      and find interesting details to help identify it later...that person is then
      led back the same (or different...more challenging) way...blindfolded person
      takes off blindfold and tries to find their tree.

      2. Put girls into teams of six. Five of these girls form a circle around the
      sixth team member. The girl in the center of the circle then puts her arms
      flat down by her sides, relaxes, and falls gently to one side. It is up to
      the girls standing in the circle around her to prevent her from falling over
      by gently pushing them away. As you begin to trust each other more, let the
      person in the center fall slightly future each time. Bear in mind, that if
      you make just one mistake, the person in the center will not trust you for a
      long, long time.

      3. Ask the whole group to stand in a circle around a circular piece of rope.
      The rope should be just the right size so that there is no gap of more than a
      foot between people round the rope. The people in the circle should pick the
      rope up, and hold it steady. One at a time, a volunteer leaves the circle,
      stands on the rope and attempts to walk round it as it is being held up by
      the others. It's harder than it sounds!

      Kim Mitchell
      ************************
      Leadership Roles Quiz
      http://jfg.girlscouts.org/How/Leadership/roles.htm

      Which one is for you?

      A leader is someone who helps others reach a goal or inspires change.
      Leadership is not just a matter of "follow me girls." It requires different
      skills, talents, and traits for different situations. Many times, when
      working in a group, people assume different leadership roles in the process
      of reaching a goal.

      Here is a list of leadership roles. Can you match the role with its function?
      We gave you the first answer.
      Role
      1. Delegator 12
      2. Facilitator
      3. Manager
      4. Clarifier
      5. Problem-solver
      6. Mediator
      7. Timekeeper
      8. Nurturer
      9. Coach
      10. Networker
      11. Dreamer
      12. Initiator

      Function
      1. Listens, summarizes, makes things clearer
      2. Suggests solutions and ways to get things done
      3. Helps resolve differences, disagreements, conflicts
      4. Helps the groups set goals, make decisions, choose directions, evaluate
      progress
      5. Helps group keep an eye on progress
      6. Helps others develop their skills as a leader
      7. Gets things moving
      8. Supports and encourages
      9. Helps each group member use her talents and interests to be a part of the
      group's action
      10. Helps coordinate the parts of a project
      11. Connects people with people and people with ideas to move the project
      forward
      12. Visualizes directions and possibilities
      ******************************
      From: "Nancy Tomlin" ntomlin@...
      Subject: Motivation and Coaching

      POWER POINTS OF HUMAN BEHAVIOR

      1) You cannot motivate another person; you can only create an opportunity for
      others to become self-motivated.

      2) All people are motivated by and do things for their reasons and not yours.
      These reasons usually fall into three categories: Pain - Fear - Pleasure.

      Note: Other key motivators based on personality types in include:
      Acheivement, Power, Affiliation, Autonomy, Esteem, Security, Equity.

      Our job as leaders, coaches, mentors, parents, managers, trainers etc, is to
      determine what each individual is motivated by and work with the individual
      on that basis.

      Anything else if futile.

      Nancy Tomlin
      Innovative Training Solutions, Inc
      GM/Director of Sales and Training
      ntomlin@...

      Best wishes,

      Lela C. Arnes
      Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council, Houston, Texas -- Master Trainer,
      District 4 Delegate, past Board Member, Thanks Badge recipient

      mailto:earnes@...
      *****************************
      Leadership - Working With Others
      http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/behavior.html

      Objectives
      To gain a personal insight on how I relate to others.
      What behaviors I need to improve upon to become a better leader.
      To see how others view and perceive my personal behaviors.

      Behaviors That Are Essential To High Level Human Relating
      Listed below are a number of behaviors that are essential to relating to
      others. Rate yourself on these behaviors, using the following scale:

      1 Very Weak
      2
      3 Moderately Weak
      4
      5 Adequate
      6
      7 Moderately Strong
      8
      9 Very Strong

      Note: a rating of 5 means that you would considered yourself a resource
      person (if only minimally so). That is, in a relationship or group, you would
      be a giver rather than just a receiver.

      1. ______ Feelings : I am not afraid to deal directly with emotion rather
      it is my own or others. I allow myself to feel and give expression to
      what I feel.

      2. ______ Initiative : In my relationships I act rather than react by going
      out and contacting others without waiting to be contacted.

      3. ______ Respect : I express that I am for others even if I do not
      necessarily approve of what they do.

      4. ______ Genuineness : I do not hide behind roles or facades. I let
      others know where I stand.

      5. ______ Concreteness : I am not vague when I speak to others. I do not
      beat around the bush in that I deal with concrete experience and
      behavior.

      6. ______ Immediacy : I deal openly and directly with others. I know where
      I stand with others and they know where they stand with me.

      7. ______ Empathy : I see the world through the eyes of others by listening
      to cues, both verbal and nonverbal, and I respond to these cues.

      8. ______ Confrontation : I challenge others with responsibly and with
      care. I do not use confrontation to punish.

      9. ______ Self-disclosure : I let others know the person inside, but I am
      not exhibitionistic. I am open without being a secret-reveler or
      secret-searcher.

      10.______ Self-exploration : I examine my life style and behaviors and want
      others to help me to do so. I am open to change.

      Scoring
      There are no correct or incorrect scores. This assessment simply shows you
      where you stand in your relations with others. Your goal should be to work on
      the lowest scorings of the 10 behaviors. Also, have one or two others rate
      you so that you can get an outside view of yourself as to whether you are
      projecting yourself to others as you believe you are.

      Notes
      Created January 1, 1998. Last update - April 23, 2000.
      donclark@...
      http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/behavior.html