List of Trainings

  • Barbara Karweik
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2005
      I put this list together earlier this year for a TDC. It may need to updated
      with new item numbers.
      Barb Karweik
      Simon Kenton Council
      Training Chair

      TRAINING COURSES SUPPORTED BY NATIONAL

      Fast Start Training: All programs & positions - Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting,
      Venturing

      Video tape training with syllabus and on-line: A V-01 V022A

      Fast Start training provides information to aid new Leaders in planning and
      conducting their first meeting and to motivate them to attend New Leader
      Essentials and Specific Training.

      New Leader Essentials: All programs & positions - Cub Scouting, Boy
      Scouting, Venturing

      Video tape training with syllabus: AV-02V016 & 34870

      Introductory session that highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and
      methods of Scouting. It addresses how these aims and methods are reached in
      an age-appropriate style within Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity
      Scouting, and Venturing. Videos, discussions, and hands-on reinforcement are
      presented during the 90-minute training session. Ideally, all unit-based
      volunteers-Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and Venturing leaders-take
      this session at the same time, so they understand that they are all striving
      for the same results with the youth they serve. Each leader completes New
      Leader Essentials training only once.

      Cub Scout Specific Training: All Cub Scouting positions

      Video tape training with syllabus: A V-01 V013 & 34875

      Tiger Cub den leaders, Cub Scout den leaders, Webelos den leaders,
      Cubmasters, and pack committee members can complete this training in one day
      or two or three evenings. The leader is considered trained upon completion
      of New Leader Essentials and the Leader Specific training for that position.

      BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation): Cub Scout leaders

      Syllabus: 34162

      This course is required for Pack leaders in order for the Pack to conduct
      Family Camp outings.

      Webelos Leader Outdoor Training: Bear & Webelos Leaders

      Syllabus: 13-33640

      This course prepares Webelos leaders to transition youth into the Boy
      Scouting program, take boys camping, and gives help with presenting the
      outdoor skill pins.

      Leadership Updates: All Cub Scout leaders

      Syllabus: 13-4703

      A series of six supplemental training opportunities for both new and more
      experienced Leaders, which expands on subjects that were only covered
      briefly in basic training and also provides in-depth information on new
      topics. These two-hour sessions are conducted by district training teams at
      approximately three-month intervals. Can also be presented at Roundtables

      Unit Leadership Enhancements: All Cub Scout leaders

      Syllabus: 13-534

      Discussion sessions that provide ongoing training to all Cub Scout Leaders
      through their monthly Pack Leaders' meeting. Each enhancement session is
      aimed at improving a Leader's understanding of the methods and purposes of
      Cub Scouting, and how these can be fulfilled in their regular meetings.
      Packs conduct their own Leadership enhancements, selecting from the fifteen
      topics based on their own interests and needs.

      Den Chief Training: Den Leaders, Cubmasters & Scouts - First Class and above

      Syllabus: 34450C

      Experienced Den Leaders appreciate the importance of a trained Den Chief to
      the operation of an effective Den program.

      Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills: Any Scout leader

      Syllabus: 33640

      Outdoor skills are critical to the success of the Scouting program, and
      Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills will provide leaders with the basic
      outdoor skills information needed to start a program right. Introduction to
      Outdoor Leader Skills is the required outdoor training for all Scoutmasters,
      assistant Scoutmasters, and Varsity Scout coaches. The skills taught are
      based on the outdoor skills found in The Boy Scout Handbook. The course is
      also ideal for Venturing leaders because it focuses on skills that build
      confidence and competence in leaders conducting outdoor camping experiences.
      The course is a day and a half long, but a leader can move at an accelerated

      Boy Scout Leader Specific Training: Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters
      and any other interested Scout leaders

      Video tape training with syllabus: AV-02V015, 348798 & 33640

      For Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters, this training is divided into
      four parts. The first three parts concentrate on troop operation and can be
      completed in one full day or three evenings. The fourth part, which focuses
      on outdoor skills, lasts approximately a day and a half, depending on the
      skill level of the new leader.

      Troop Committee Challenge: All Troop Committee members

      Syllabus: 33643

      For troop committee members, Leader Specific training includes the. By
      following the Troop Committee Training Syllabus, participants can complete
      the challenge in three hours, after which they are considered trained.

      Units of Training: Any Troop leaders

      Syllabus Boy Scout Leader Roundtable Planning Guide: 34253

      Units of training have been developed on a number of subjects and leadership
      skills to fortify learning for Scoutmasters and other adult leaders as they
      feel the need. The units of training are designed to be "plugged in" by
      trainers as needs become apparent. Subjects covered are as follows : Boy
      Scout Advancement Training, Working with the Troop Committee, Merit Badge
      Counselor Orientation, Youth Protection, Boy Scout and Cub Scout Leader
      Training Module with Youth Protection Handout, Troop Program Planning Kit,
      Selecting Quality Leaders.

      Merit Badge Counselor Orientation: All Merit Badge Counselors

      Syllabus: 34542

      Merit Badge Counselor Orientation helps a merit badge counselor understand
      his job as a coach and counselor, who provides realistic learning
      experiences to a boy in his study of a merit badge subject.

      Advanced Training (Wood Badge) All programs & positions - Cub Scouting, Boy
      Scouting, Venturing This course can cover a couple of weekends or be a week
      long group training course designed to provide Scouters with advanced
      training skills and a more dedicated involvement in the Scouting program.

      Trainer Development Conference: Any interested Scouter

      Syllabus on CD: 13-044

      This course is designed to train those who conduct training for leaders in
      Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, Venturing, commissioner
      service, and district/council operations. It can be conducted as a daylong
      or two-day overnight training experience, depending on the needs of the
      local council.

      Commissioner Basic Training: All Commissioners and any interested Scouter

      Syllabus: 33613F

      A detailed outline for a three-session training program for unit
      commissioners. This program involves actual visits to Scouting units as a
      part of the training experience.

      Continuing Education for Commissioners: All Commissioners and any interested
      Scouter

      Syllabus: 33615E

      Shows how to incorporate training into many commissioner functions. These
      functions include monthly district and council commissioner staff meetings,
      annual commissioner conferences, college of commissioner science, and
      personal coaching.

      District Committee Training Workshop: All members of the District Committee

      Syllabus: 34160D

      A training program for councils to train district committee members to
      support the standard district operation plan. Includes breakout sessions for
      all positions including district Key 3.

      Training the Chartered Organization Representative: All Chartered
      Organization Reps

      Syllabus: 4-113

      A unit of training to help chartered organization representatives understand
      the important role they play in the organization of Boy Scouts of America as
      representatives of the chartered organization to the district committee and
      the local council.

      Health and Safety Training: Any interested Scouter

      Syllabus and Video 19-100 & AV-09V025

      Leave No Trace Training: Any interested Scouter

      Syllabus: 21-117

      A training program on the skills and techniques of camping with a minimum
      impact on the environment.

      Trek Safely: Any interested Scouter

      Syllabus: 20-129

      Youth Protection Training: All Scout leaders who meet with youth

      Video: AV-09VOO1A and available on-line at www.skcbsa.org

      Safe Swim Defense: Any interested Scouter

      Video: AV 09 V025 and available on-line at www.skcbsa.org

      Safety Afloat: Any interested Scouter

      Video: AV 9V002 and available on-line at www.skcbsa.org

      Climb on Safely: Any interested Scouter

      Syllabus: 20-099

      Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training: All Venturing leaders

      Syllabus: 33491

      Venturing Leadership Skills Course: All Venturing leaders

      Syllabus: 34340

      Powder Horn: Any interested Scouter

      BOY SCOUT JUNIOR LEADER TRAINING

      Introduction to Leadership: All youth leaders

      Syllabus is in the Scoutmaster Handbook and the Scoutmaster's Junior Leader
      Training Kit, No. 33643

      Initial briefing of the newly selected troop junior leader. Conducted by the
      Scoutmaster and senior patrol leader.

      Troop Junior Leader Training: All youth leaders

      Syllabus: 33643

      A one-day workshop conducted by the Scoutmaster for the troop's junior
      leaders. The workshop is devoted to building the troop's leadership team.

      National Youth Leadership Training: Any interested youth leader with
      permission of Scoutmaster Syllabus: 34490

      A week long experience conducted by the council featuring Scoutcraft and
      leadership skills. Scoutmaster: are involved before and after the
      conference.

      Message: 1