NLE bridges

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
      Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? I am the new Cub Scout Training Chair for my district. The previous chair said that she used the bridges the first time they did NLE and have not used them since. I am curious as to what others do. If you don't use them, why?

      Thanks for helping out a newbie!

      Yours in Scouting,

      ~Elaine Boyd
      Scouter in NH

    • farrj@stb.dot.gov
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
        Elaine,

        I tell the folks in NLE that we're going to build a virtual bridge. I use
        the powerpoint for NLE and it has photo clips adding pieces to the bridge
        along the way.

        Yours in scouting,
        Julia Farr
        Sully District (VA)
        NCAC

        "Elaine D. Boyd"
        <edboyd@cri-mms.c
        om> To
        Sent by: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
        scouter_t@yahoogr cc
        oups.com
        Subject
        [Scouter_T] NLE bridges
        11/04/2005 12:30
        PM

        Please respond to
        scouter_t@yahoogr
        oups.com

        Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? I
        am the new Cub Scout Training Chair for my district. The previous chair
        said that she used the bridges the first time they did NLE and have not
        used them since. I am curious as to what others do. If you don't use
        them, why?

        Thanks for helping out a newbie!

        Yours in Scouting,

        ~Elaine Boyd
        Scouter in NH

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "scouter_t" on the web.

      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
          <<Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? I am the
          new Cub Scout Training Chair for my district. The previous chair said that she
          used the bridges the first time they did NLE and have not used them since. I am
          curious as to what others do. If you don't use them, why?>>

          Yes we do. Sometimes I distribute them (when we use tables). If we're using desks, it doesn't work as well, so we build one up front. We have even built a full size, walk across replica from plywood that we use when we have very large sessions (sometimes our NLE will have 50-60 participants). I like the metaphor of the bridge, and the poem always makes me cry, even after teaching the course 4 times a year.

          I can see why some people would leave them out. The time schedule on the course is so tight, that any time saved can appeal to a course administrator.

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          P. 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District

        • Larry D. Ohs
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
            Elaine Boyd asked:
            Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? ... If you don't use them, why?

            I have used the bridges a few times, but most of the time I have not used them. The approach seems to me to be a bit sophomoric. I understand that people learn better by using several approaches. However, I feel that having them build the bridge while explaining the analogy of bases, structure, support, etc. that BSA provides is more appropriate for a Cub Scout-aged group, not adults. When I don't build the bridges, I still use the analogy and explain the concept though.

            Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience for which they are intended.

            Larry Ohs
            Salt Valley District Training Committee
            2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
            Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
            "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

          • RedhedMary@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
              I usually use the bridges during NLE. However, sometimes I've not had
              access to them and have done just fine without them. I did an NLE last night with
              a group of Boy Scout leaders, and opted out of the bridges as we had
              somewhat of a time constraint. (And it's the first time I've come in at 90 minutes
              as the syllabus says it should be...)

              YiS,

              Mary Cooper, C-39-02
              Bobwhites "Contributori Fieri al Ciclo Alimentare Delle Nature"
              (Proud contributors to nature's food chain)

            • Frank Maynard
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Elaine D. Boyd wrote:

                > Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials?

                Yes, we use them, 'cause the syllabus says to, but I agree that it takes
                time out of the program while people change their train of thought and
                fumble around getting the little cardboard pieces to fit.

                Jamie, I agree on the poem, and now that I'm the one that has to read it,
                try to get through it all in one piece. But the one that I use to close
                Cub leader specific is the one that starts "I took a piece of plastic
                clay, and idly fashioned it one day...". Try getting through that one.

                Frank Maynard, NF8M
                CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
                ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council (10 Year Quality District)
                Novi, Michigan
              • Elaine D. Boyd
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Frank,

                  Could you share this poem? Please?

                  ~Elaine Boyd
                  Scouter in NH

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Elaine D. Boyd wrote:

                    > Could you share this poem? Please?

                    Sure. This is from a posting by Judy Yeager, a regular on this list, but
                    I saw it posted on the cub-scout-talk mailing list: (Thanks again Judy!)

                    Early on in my Scouting "career," I came across a poem that has shored me up
                    many times and kept my head on straight about what this program is all
                    about. If I may, I would like to share it with you. Please note the
                    opening line of the last stanza!

                    A Scouter's Golden Opportunity

                    I took a piece of plastic clay
                    And idly fashioned it one day.
                    And as I pressed it, still
                    It bent and yielded to my will.

                    I came again when day was past
                    That bit of clay was hard at last;
                    My early impress still it bore
                    And I could change its form no more.

                    You take a piece of living clay
                    And gently form it day by day;
                    Molding with your power and art
                    A young boy's soft and yielding heart.

                    You come again when days are gone,
                    It is a man you look upon;
                    Your early impress still he bore,
                    And you could change him never more.

                    You are dealing with a boy
                    That must be guided unaware;
                    Must be shown, but oh so gently,
                    How to live both true and square.

                    Pins and badges aren't our aim,
                    Character building is our goal;
                    Do not lose your courage now,
                    For you are piloting a soul.

                    Judy Yeager
                    NT District Training Chair, HOAC

                    Frank Maynard, NF8M
                    CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
                    ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                    Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council (10 Year Quality District)
                    Novi, Michigan
                  • Dawn Walters
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                      I just finished over three years as a District Training Chair and basically used up every bridge that the council had available including all of the ones that the other districts were not using. Scouting is about passing on those values we believe important wrapped up in fun, not just for the youth but the adults also. The bridges are no more sophmoric than having the adults get up and join in singing repeatedly faster rounds of "I'm Alive, Awake, Alert, Enthusiastic" which I also did quite regularly. We shouldn't take our adult status so seriously that we forget the fun. Besides, fun has been shown to improve learning and retention which are goals of teaching.

                      Dawn Walters
                      Pioneer District
                      Capitol Area Council

                    • J L D
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Larry - I'm a corporate trainer in a conservative, white-collar, Fortune 100
                        company.
                        We use games frequently as part of teaching skillls to new hires and
                        existing staff. Not only is it refreshing but it promotes team-building and
                        friendly competitiveness, gets people up and moving and makes the class
                        memorable. Games help us reinforce the points we are trying to teach in a
                        fun way. Our staff loves to come to training - they never know what to
                        expect.
                        Also for male learners - and this is not a sexist remark but is documented
                        in *The Minds of Boys* by Michael Gurian,* *(which I was pleased to see
                        featured in the recent issue of Scouting) - male learners learn better and
                        faster and retain more information if movement is involved rather than the
                        traditional stand-up/lecture classes. Personally, I dislike teaching classes
                        where I'm just a "talking head".
                        So relax and enjoy yourself! Be a kid again! Isn't it supposed to be FUN?
                        YIS,
                        Jeanne
                        SM T249 Budd Lake NJ

                        On 11/4/05, Larry D. Ohs <lohs@...> wrote:
                        Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and
                        games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest
                        common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business
                        trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they
                        should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience
                        for which they are intended.

                        Larry Ohs
                        Salt Valley District Training Committee
                        2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
                        Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
                        "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                        Scouting The Net -
                        http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/<http://www.scoutingthenet.com/>

                        Training
                        program development<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Training+program+development&w1=Training+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Fitness+training+program&w4=Scouting+camera&w5=Outdoors&w6=Training+program+evaluation&c=6&s=155&.sig=GrCd-bdoBH2DvywTJpe0sA>
                        Fitness
                        training program<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fitness+training+program&w1=Training+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Fitness+training+program&w4=Scouting+camera&w5=Outdoors&w6=Training+program+evaluation&c=6&s=155&.sig=XigDBcRDn4VF4Kal-elvnA>
                        Scouting
                        camera<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouting+camera&w1=Training+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Fitness+training+program&w4=Scouting+camera&w5=Outdoors&w6=Training+program+evaluation&c=6&s=155&.sig=-7fIHS-WICV9owYApb7VLg>
                        Training
                        program evaluation<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Training+program+evaluation&w1=Training+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Fitness+training+program&w4=Scouting+camera&w5=Outdoors&w6=Training+program+evaluation&c=6&s=155&.sig=XhvgP1yspIxPVF8Va_150w>

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                          I could not agree more. I am going through all kinds of resources now and there are ideas like play games and sing songs but I feel that my CM class participants tomorrow do not want to do that. I know the CM position especially needs to be more fun and care free but it does not necessarily have a place in training.........

                          "Larry D. Ohs" <lohs@...> wrote: Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience for which they are intended.

                          Larry Ohs
                          Salt Valley District Training Committee
                          2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
                          Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
                          "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          connie

                        • brant@lippincott.us
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Elaine Boyd asked:
                            Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? ... If you don't use them, why?

                            No, we stopped using them. We feel that it takes a little too much time and does not add any real value to the presentation. The time is already a little tight. Also, Most of the time, the tables would build them ahead rather than wen "told."

                            Larry Ohs commented:
                            Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)?

                            Larry, I take a little bit of offense at your comment. CUB scouting is NOT the "lowest common denominator". Now, it is the most "common" form of leaders. In fact in a room of brand new NLE attendees, 80-90 percent are new CUB leaders. As a BOY scout leader, think about where all your boys come from. MOST come from Cub Scouting. So it stands to reason that the better trained leaders you have as CUB leaders, the more likely it is for the boys to stay in scouting and eventually become BOY scouts.

                            So, that's why we might sing a silly song or do a cheer or something a little FUN. It's boring to sit there for 90 minutes and just listen. Now I'm not advocating running NLE like a pack meeting, but it could be a bit more fun. If you want a bit of insight into things, perhaps you should attend the Trainer Development Conference. The biggest thing I took from that is that different adults have different learning styles. Some learn best by reading, some by hearing and some by seeing. MOST do better when taking notes.

                            For the Boys,
                            Brant

                          • Larry D. Ohs
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Re: fun at trainings.

                              Thanks for your comments. Yes, we should have fun at training. I've been known to come to training in a safari jacket just to tell the joke about shooting a tiger in my pajamas (how he got in pajamas I'll never know.....). I do rope tricks (take three pieces of rope colored to represent the three levels of Scouting, tie them together with square knots and turn them into one continuous piece of colored rope--ties NLE together quite well!!) I've done group action songs. It takes me a bit to break out of my introverted shell and cut loose, but I do it for Scout trainings. [Judges frown on it in court when I'm working.] Somehow, the bridge doesn't do it for me. I'll have to work on it.

                              Jeanne: we need to get you at our boring continuing legal education meetings where fellow lawyers drone on for hours about some topic we don't really have an interest in but need the credit hours. Those lawyer/presenters that break out of that mould are few but enjoyed by most.

                              Larry Ohs
                              Salt Valley District Training Committee
                              Larry - I'm a corporate trainer in a conservative, white-collar, Fortune 100
                              company.
                              We use games frequently as part of teaching skillls to new hires and
                              existing staff. Not only is it refreshing but it promotes team-building and
                              friendly competitiveness, gets people up and moving and makes the class
                              memorable. Games help us reinforce the points we are trying to teach in a
                              fun way. Our staff loves to come to training - they never know what to
                              expect.... So relax and enjoy yourself! Be a kid again! Isn't it supposed to be FUN?
                              YIS,
                              Jeanne

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                Ok I already gave my opinion on games but you have given me food for thought. So let me revise (or clarify) my opinion a bit. I wouldn't mind games if they had a bit of a point or made the class more memorable ( this is hard to explain) but I guess I am looking for are exercises that make the class wake up a bit and make an impression but not make the participants that don't like that sort of thing uncomfortable. Adult geared games.........any ideas????

                                J L D <512jellybeans@...> wrote:Larry - I'm a corporate trainer in a conservative, white-collar, Fortune 100

                                On 11/4/05, Larry D. Ohs wrote:
                                Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and
                                games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest
                                common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business
                                trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they
                                should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience
                                for which they are intended.

                                Larry Ohs
                                Salt Valley District Training Committee
                                2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
                                Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
                                "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                                Scouting The Net -
                                http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/

                                Training programs
                                Training
                                program development
                                Fitness
                                training program
                                Scouting
                                camera
                                Outdoors
                                Training
                                program evaluation

                                > Service .

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                connie

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005

                                  On 11/4/05, Larry D. Ohs wrote:
                                  Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and
                                  games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest
                                  common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business
                                  trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they
                                  should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience
                                  for which they are intended.

                                  Larry Ohs
                                  Salt Valley District Training Committee
                                  2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
                                  Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
                                  "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                                  Scouting The Net -
                                  http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/

                                  Training programs
                                  Training
                                  program development
                                  Fitness
                                  training program
                                  Scouting
                                  camera
                                  Outdoors
                                  Training
                                  program evaluation

                                  > Service .

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  connie

                                • brant@lippincott.us
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                    I could not DISAGREE more. The CMs especially need to learn how to have fun. Pack meetings are supposed to be fun, full of energy. Not like those boring meetings we sit in at work. Boring meetings are the fastest way to drop your attenndence. The kids don't want to sit through another hour of school!!

                                    For the Boys,
                                    Brant

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005

                                      On 11/4/05, Larry D. Ohs wrote:
                                      Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs, videos and
                                      games coming out of the national office often are on the level of the lowest
                                      common denominator of Scouting (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business
                                      trainings, our trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they
                                      should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the adult audience
                                      for which they are intended.

                                      Larry Ohs
                                      Salt Valley District Training Committee
                                      2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
                                      Powder Horn, HOAC 2002
                                      "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                                      Scouting The Net -
                                      http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/

                                      Training programs
                                      Training
                                      program development
                                      Fitness
                                      training program
                                      Scouting
                                      camera
                                      Outdoors
                                      Training
                                      program evaluation

                                      > Service .

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      connie

                                    • NeilLup@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                        In a message dated 11/4/05 4:50:34 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

                                        > I am looking for are exercises that make the class wake up a bit and make
                                        > an impression but not make the participants that don't like that sort of thing
                                        > uncomfortable. Adult geared games.........any ideas????

                                        Hello,

                                        What I write now may be flameworthy words, but I seriously wonder whether
                                        an adult leader who doesn't like games and whom games make uncomfortable is
                                        someone who can be a successful Scout leader. We then start doing things by
                                        grim sense of duty rather than the jolly game which BP envisioned. And if we
                                        don't have youth having fun and learning skills, etc. as a part of having
                                        fun, I seriously wonder if it is Scouting.

                                        Best wishes,

                                        Neil Lupton

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                            Brant: I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm a strong believer in training and have conducted district and council trainings for seven of the last nine years. I have taken TDC and understand we need to present information in different forms for different kinds of people. I have gone to five other Councils to take Scout training that was not being offered by my small home Council, then brought some of those courses back to do here. Training Cub Scout leaders to let go is part of the process and I do that. I just think that attitude is exhibited unnecessarily in some of the training for leaders of older Scouts. A good demonstration of what a leader could do with 8- to 10-year old boys is not going to be effective with 15- to 18-year youths. Leader Specific training is a good idea. You're right, most NLE trainees are Cub Scout leaders and it seems to me to be written for that level. I guess I wish there was version for leaders of older Scouts to use when the trainees aren't Cub Scout leaders. Our NLE classes are small so it's possible we have no CS leaders in a particular session.

                                            Anyway, I guess I livened-up what is usually a quiet Friday afternoon on the list. Everyone have a good weekend. I'm off to have fun doing a troop campout.

                                            Larry Ohs
                                            Salt Valley District Training Committee
                                            Troop 12, Assistant Scoutmaster

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                              Lots of good discussion here.

                                              Brant wrote

                                              Connie wrote:
                                              So let me revise (or clarify) my opinion a bit. I wouldn't mind games
                                              if they had a bit of a point or made the class more memorable ( this
                                              is hard to explain) but I guess I am looking for are exercises that
                                              make the class wake up a bit and make an impression but not make the
                                              participants that don't like that sort of thing uncomfortable. Adult
                                              geared games.........any ideas????

                                              Let me preface what I say with the expectation of a new leader, from
                                              my own experience. Most don't want to be there, are expecting a
                                              boring session, and are there out of obligation. Their expectations
                                              are low. Conducting a dull, lecture heavy session would not surprise
                                              anyone. I think that we can all agree that most of our training
                                              should be "better" than that, that we can make it enjoyable and fun.
                                              (I might argue that something like YPT deserves a more serious
                                              approach, so there is always an exception...)

                                              So, what is an appropriate game or level of fun for a training?

                                              I would suggest that a game can serve more than one purpose and have
                                              more than one value at training. For example, an icebreaker such as
                                              finding people that have been to Alaska, are carrying a pocketknife,
                                              or were Scouts as youth helps participants to meet one another and
                                              loosen the mood. The human knot game can teach cooperation.

                                              One skit we used to do in training was "The New Cubmaster." One
                                              staffer would enter wearing a Smokey and tell another staffer,
                                              sitting at a desk, "I have my hat, I've got my smile, and I'm ready
                                              to be a leader!" The second staffer would say, "Oh, you need a leader
                                              book. Here." It would bounce between them:
                                              "OK, I've got my hat and my smile and my leader book, I'm ready to be
                                              a leader."
                                              "Oh, you should have the Guide to Safe Scouting, too."
                                              ...and so on, until the new leader was holding a stack of 15-20
                                              books, trying to remember them all.

                                              Perhaps the thing we forget about these games and songs we sing is
                                              the *other*, less obvious purpose they have. They set an example.
                                              They demonstrate that it's OK for leaders to be silly, have fun, play
                                              games, cut loose, and be kids again.

                                              I think back to my first training. It was awful. I didn't want to go
                                              to any more. Then someone said I needed Safe Swim defense, and I
                                              reluctantly went to Roundtable. The guy that did it came out in swim
                                              trunks, with a surfboard and SCUBA mask and snorkel and fins. It was
                                              funny to see an adult be goofy, and instead of having the, "This is
                                              going to be boring but I have to be here" attitude I paid attention.
                                              It was fun. I was engaged. Most importantly, I learned.

                                              Later I went to camp school, and the course director did "Ya Momma
                                              Dear." I'd seen the words and directions, but never "got it" until I
                                              saw it. How many other action songs look stupid on paper, but are fun
                                              to sing and participate in when you actually do them? And you can't
                                              convince me that just because a boy is a Boy Scout that Pink Pajamas
                                              or the Quartermaster's Store suddenly aren't fun to sing.

                                              So if, in a training, we tell people that they can sing songs and do
                                              skits and play games, and don't give them context, are we being good
                                              trainers? Yes, we can provide words and music to songs and
                                              instructions to games, but if the participants can't read music or
                                              don't understand the rules, will they take our advice, or bypass it
                                              and stick with what they're comfortable with? Why would they risk
                                              looking bad in front of someone who might point out they're doing it
                                              wrong?

                                              So a song may not apply to the specific thing being taught, like "Who
                                              pays for Scouting," but it demonstrates things that leaders can do to
                                              liven their meetings. A game may not illustrate a concept, but it
                                              does show people that the game is fun and easy enough for their boys
                                              to play. It offers people a chance to practice the skill in a safe
                                              environment before taking it back to their unit. Most of all, it
                                              shows leaders that you can be an adult and still act like a kid.

                                              YiS,
                                              Sean
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                                Once again Sean you are a font of wisdom and have given me more to think on. As I was driving back from dropping my son off to go camping, I will be joining him after UoS tomorrow, I was thinking of ways to liven up the CM training and run ons came to mind. I could pass them out and just tell participants to randomly come up if they see a moment. Being CMs hopefully they will be up to the challenge..........

                                                I was thinking of the Human knot as well.......

                                                My concern is making sure they get the questions answered they came for as well........

                                                I got the equiment together and will be using the PP that Sean and (one other person whose name escapes me) sent. I have not done this before and was anxious but have decided that the presentation is really just a way to organize my thoughts and give us a jumping off point for discussions.........

                                                Connie wrote:
[...]

                                              • R Fisher
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                                  > Is it just me, or do others think that the training programs,
                                                  > videos and games coming out of the national office often are
                                                  > on the level of the lowest common denominator of Scouting
                                                  > (Cub Scouting)? When I attend business trainings, our
                                                  > trainers don't have us play games to learn (maybe they
                                                  > should?). I think the trainings should be geared towards the
                                                  > adult audience for which they are intended.

                                                  Greetings Larry (and others)

                                                  If you think about it, under the "take it once and you're done" concept
                                                  for NLE, Cub Scouting is exactly the group its targeted to. The other
                                                  program leaders should have already received it when they were in Cub
                                                  Scouting. Of course you and I know that not all leaders start as Cub
                                                  leaders. So you kind of have to make the NLE program fit the audience.
                                                  BTW, I have been to business training sessions where the facilitators
                                                  did have us playing games. So I guess it depends.

                                                  I have done NLE in conjunction with the complete training program for
                                                  Venturing leaders (brand new to BSA) but since some of the material is
                                                  aimed at Cub Scouts and a lot of it is covered in much more detail in
                                                  the Venturing Leader Specific Training I've whittled the NLE section
                                                  down to about 45 minutes. I really don't think that anything was
                                                  omitted or glossed over, it was covered later. I do show all the videos
                                                  and we do have some time for brief discussion (where I usually end up
                                                  putting the question in the Parking Lot for later).

                                                  But we don't build the bridge.

                                                  YiS

                                                  Roy Fisher
                                                • Sandra Martens
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 4, 2005
                                                    We used them the first couple times then stopped. First, it took too long. 90 minutes is cutting it very tight already, and I'd rather answer questions than put together a bridge.

                                                    Secondly, if they have the parts ahead of time they put the whole thing together as they watch the videos and the idea of the bridge is completely gone.

                                                    Sandy OWL

                                                    ne D. Boyd" <edboyd@...> wrote:
                                                    Does anyone use the bridges supplied as part of New Leader Essentials? I am the new Cub Scout Training Chair for my district. The previous chair said that she used the bridges the first time they did NLE and have not used them since. I am curious as to what others do. If you don't use them, why?

                                                    Thanks for helping out a newbie!

                                                    Yours in Scouting,

                                                    ~Elaine Boyd
                                                    Scouter in NH

                                                    Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                                                  • Drama/Dee
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 5, 2005
                                                      Connie,

                                                      There is a "problem-solving" game we did at RT this past Thursday that may
                                                      be what you are looking for.

                                                      Take as many legal size pieces of paper as there are participants plus 1.
                                                      Set them on the floor in a straight line. Have participants line up, facing
                                                      the middle, on the papers so 1 paper is in the middle with no one on it. Now
                                                      they have to move from one side of the line to the other kind of like in
                                                      checkers (only they don't REALLY jump over each other! LOL). They can walk
                                                      round each other but only to get to another piece of paper. Or straight
                                                      ahead to the next available paper. They can not stand back and look at each
                                                      other to figure it out.

                                                      There is a certain trick to doing this but we didn't figure it out. We did
                                                      find out more about each other by the ways in which we tried to solve the
                                                      game.

                                                      This is not a "silly-get-on-the-floor-and-get-dirty" kind of game. You could
                                                      use it for a den or pack meeting, if you wished. We did discuss the idea
                                                      that if we had given this to a den of boys, they would probably have it
                                                      figured out in no time! LOL!

                                                      Mrs. Dee
                                                      Pack 418

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 6, 2005
                                                        I haven't used the bridges since the first year the package came out.
                                                        Nearly everyone has them put together in the first 5 minutes, but
                                                        aren't paying attention to the presentation. I use the slides in the
                                                        ppt to show the progression of the bridge as a concept. I too love
                                                        the poem at the end.

                                                        Regarding songs and games during training: Adults are so used to
                                                        being all business all the time that it's good to remind them that
                                                        we're in Scouting for fun. As others have said, lots of the folks we
                                                        train are apprehensive to begin with about this big unknown they've
                                                        given their Saturday morning up for. If we can show them that it's ok
                                                        to be goofy and smile and sing and play games, it eases the anxiety
                                                        they may be experiencing. Life's too short to be so serious. If
                                                        you're having fun, the kids see that and they too will have fun.
                                                        Scouting is after all, a "Game with a purpose"

                                                        Chris Finnegan
                                                        Bucks County Council, PA
                                                        I used to be a Bobwhite
                                                        NE-CS-59
                                                        And a good old staffer too...
                                                        NE-II-123, NE-II-150
                                                      • Ann Puckett
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 7, 2005
                                                          I like this email - many very good points!

                                                          I am the first one to get up and act goofy and not mind what others think but many adults are uncomfortable with that, the funny thing is.........they LOVE when I get up and act goofy, they said it made the meeting/outing that much more fun and sometimes it becomes catching......I also tell adults this is your one and only chance to act like a kid again, act silly and no one will judge you for it, so take the risk and have fun.

                                                          Here is the COPE website that is full of icebreakers, team building games, etc. to help break up the monotony and make things more fun. When I take kids on a hike, I often take breaks in between and play a game - it makes that 5 mile hike not seem so long and more fun!

                                                          http://www.okawbsa.org/copegames.php

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 8, 2005
                                                            Great website thanks!!

                                                            http://www.okawbsa.org/copegames.php

                                                            Well after much careful planning, taking all that was said here into consideration and weighing the ideas, I took a couple of songs and run ons to the CM class I was teaching last Sat at UoS......

                                                            I got all set up (first time using a PP) and was waitng for the class to come in, and it just kept coming!!!!!

                                                            I could not believe how huge the class got. It was standing room only!! I kept telling myself I wasn't intimidated....LOL

                                                            So the class begins and I am using the PP. I decided to use it more as a reminder of things to talk about and was doing pretty good but not really lovin it. So after a bit I decided to shut it off and do what I feel I do best and just talk, answer questions after I find out why they have come let them all answer questions as to what has and has not worked for them. Well we ran out of time the first class. Actually I am gonna lobby for the CM class to be longer next year..........

                                                            No one really wanted to know how to run a pack meeting, we shared a few ideas but there were classes geared more towards games, sparklers and stuff like that. But I did tout the message it has to be fun or that is the kiss of death!! No meetings.......they must be parties! There was no time (or room) for games, run ons or even songs. They were all there to talk and I never saw a chance.

                                                            The Pack committee work shop was roughly the same.

                                                            I took the two hour opportunity to completely redo both my presentations. Left out the PPs completely. I discovered I am a much more effective trainer if I am not tied to the presentation. I was much more off the cuff, relaxed and better the second time I taught both sessions.

                                                            This discussion did give me food for thought and I will be more open to playing games at trainings than in the past. Thanks everyone!

                                                            connie

                                                          • brant@lippincott.us
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 9, 2005
                                                              Having a song or skit or run ons or something else fun during a training event does not necessarily teach someone how to have fun... BUT, it does teach them that it is OK to have fun during something that might otherwise be percieved as "serious". It provides an EXAMPLE.

                                                              Cubmasters - especially - need to know HOW to have fun and that having FUN is an ESSENTIAL part of EVERY pack meeting. There are CMs out there who try and run a pack meeting like a board meeting. Then they wonder why the boys don't come to the pack meeting.

                                                              One of the most serious guys I know was a fabulous CM, because he knew how to have fun and make it fun for the boys.

                                                              For the Boys,
                                                              Brant

                                                              Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:Ok we can agree to disagree because I don't feel that a song or a game will "teach" someone how to have fun..........just because your training did not involve a song with hand motions or a game with balloons does not mean your pack meeting will be boring.