Re: [Scouter_T] Training for Leave No Trace

  • Ann Puckett
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
      Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

      Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

      I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

      http://www.lnt.org/

      ed5870@... wrote:

      In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      peter.mullaney@... writes:

      Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
      does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
      I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

      It can damage the bark of the tree.

      Ed Harvey
      Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
      Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
      I used to be an Antelope
      Hudson Valley Council

      Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

      Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

      ---------------------------------

    • Miss Raye
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
        i'd love that info too!

        raye
        --- Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:

        > JimK wrote:
        > > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
        > > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
        > Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
        > to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
        > LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
        > what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
          Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
          hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
          bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
          removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
          any rope could.

          Pete M.