RE: [Scouter_T] University of Scouting

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
      Robert,
      I believe Frank M is going to be sending you this packet. Frank, is this who you were talking about yesterday........???

      "Robert L. DeWitt" <rdewitt10@...> wrote:
      The Uos is on the 12th of November, this year. If you think you can get it
      here I would be grateful. the address is as follows

      Robert L. Dewitt
      2323 Travis Road
      Augusta, Ga 30906

      Thanks, Robert

      _____

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 31, 2006
        Heart of America Council's 2006 University of Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006. This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders.

        We are offering our usual Pow Wow Book which we have renamed the Cub Scout Resource Book plus a resource book for Boy Scout/Venturing Leaders.

        If you are in the vicinity of Kansas City the first Saturday in November, come join us. If you can't attend, you can order books (which are available in paper or CD format) if you would like.

        You can access complete information at

        www.hoac-bsa.org

        On the main page click on University of Scouting.

        Hope we can see all of you in November.

        Judy Yeager
        HOAC

      • Dan Hammond, Sr.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2006
          "Judy Yeager" kcjscout@... posted in part:

          "Heart of America Council's 2006 University of
          Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006.
          This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include
          all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and
          activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders."<snip>

          Continued; "Hope we can see all of you in November."
          Judy Yeager
          HOAC

          Judy, et al, I hope to be there!

          Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
          Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
          Kaw District Training Chairman,
          CM P3001, SA T366, NRA Life Member
          |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
          I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
          And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

          Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 24 , May 17 1:53 PM
            I am curious about a couple of things:

            * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
            Scouting and can you share an example?
            * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
            Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?

            Thanks for your input.

            Judy Yeager

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 24 , May 17 2:06 PM
              This is my 12th year. We've never had a UoS, and I think the last Council Pow Wow was at least 3 years ago. = (

              Lisa
              Sent from my iPod

              On May 17, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

              > I am curious about a couple of things:
              >
              > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
              > Scouting and can you share an example?
              > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
              > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
              >
              > Thanks for your input.
              >
              > Judy Yeager

            • Sandra Martens
              Message 6 of 24 , May 17 2:11 PM
                we held our first UofS this year.  it had no theme, and was a very low budget event.  We offered 20 cub scout courses over 4 hours in the morning, and 20 boy scout courses over 4 hours in the afternoon.
                no patch, cost $5.

                we have not been able to have a successful Pow Wow in many years, stopped doing them in 2002.  this was an option we felt was viable.

                Sandy OWL

                Message 7 of 24 , May 17 2:23 PM
                  Our University of Scouting uses the theme for the following years Cub Scout
                  Summer Camps theme.

                  This past year we had a Western theme because that is what we are using for
                  a theme this summer with our Cub camps.

                  We haven't had Pow Wow in many years.

                  Cheryl Ostrander

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 17 2:43 PM
                    Sam Houston Area holds a University of Scouting and Cub Leader Pow Wow
                    annually.  Each has a theme with is used mostly for promotion, including a
                    patch.  The course offering for the most part aren't theme centric.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 17 3:32 PM
                      <<* How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                      Scouting and can you share an example?
                      * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                      Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?>>

                      We hold two semesters of the University of Scouting in fall and spring. There is a General College, a Cub Scout College, a Boy Scout College, a Venturing/Sea Scouting College. Sometimes the College of Commissioner Science is included. This year for the first time there was a Varsity College There is also the Doctoral Studies section. We had over 700 people attend 120 different courses at our spring semester.

                      The Cub Scout College is also known as Pow Wow.

                      The packet is still online: http://training.nsbsa.org/uploadedFiles/file/UofS/UofS%20full%20catalog%203_14_11.pdf

                      This spring's theme was "Scouting Safari" - pith helmets and vests were the order of the day. Last spring was Scouting Science - lab coats, test tubes, etc.

                      Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Troop Committee, Troop 509
                      Ham Lake, MN
                      Secretary, Crew 849
                      Coon Rapids, MN
                      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      Three Rivers District

                    • pjolds
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 17 3:43 PM
                        We held our last Pow Wow in 2005 and were lucky to have 81 people attend. Registration had been even lower the year before. In an attempt to boost attendance, we switched over to University of Scouting in 2006. The strategy worked and with last year's U of S, we had an attendance of about 300.

                        We do choose a theme, usually matching it to something that is happening either with our local council or with National's annual brand identity (i.e "Prepared. For Life"). The event patch, opening ceremony, etc are all designed to fit in with that theme.

                        Paula Ball
                        University of Scouting Chairman
                        Erie Shores Council

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                        > I am curious about a couple of things:
                        >
                        > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                        > Scouting and can you share an example?
                        > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                        > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                        >
                        > Thanks for your input.
                        >
                        > Judy Yeager

                      • Corinna Jones
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17 4:46 PM
                          We have an annual UoS without a separate Powwow. It is well received, but
                          still, there are many familiar faces. It has been around as long as I have
                          become active, so for at least 8 years.
                          The Commissioner College is a completely separate event.
                          There is no special theme.

                          This year it has been moved from the first Scouting for Food weekend (bag
                          pass-out) in November to January, to see if that timing allows for more
                          participants and a smoother Scouting for Food process.

                          Corinna
                          Great Lakes Council

                          > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                          > Scouting and can you share an example?
                          > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                          > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                          >
                          > Thanks for your input.
                          >
                          > Judy Yeager

                        • A. Dukovic
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17 5:54 PM
                            All, Central Region has Lord Baden-Powell University of Scouting has theirs yearly on the Illinois Wisconsin state line in Camp Lake Wisconsin; go to www.lbpuniv.org for more info.

                            Our Council does a "training day" which we're in the process of moving to each district for a better turn out.  We also sponsor a day-long computer based on-line training day as well.

                            - Art

                          • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17 6:43 PM
                              Golden Empire Council had been doing Pow Wow only up until 5 years ago. I think we were averaging around 150 attendance. We switched to UoS that included Pow Wow and have been bringing in around 600 including staff. No theme. Price is around $20 and includes a patch and catered lunch (sandwich, chips, water and flavor packets for water if you want one.) The first two years we tried farming out the lunch to units as fundraisers with almost disastrous results. This year there was no late registration at the door. I'm not sure how that worked out. Pre-registration on line is required and the classes are closed when they reach capacity. I didn't attend this year, but in previous years they have had vendors and various scout groups with displays at lunch. (Camp promotions, NYLT, WB, retail vendors and scout shop, outdoor groups, etc). It's been held the 3rd Saturday in January at a centrally located high school.

                              Bruce Johnson

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 18 5:49 AM
                                Judy,
                                The Cherokee Area Council in Chattanooga doesn't have themes for University
                                of Scouting. The last time we had a Pow Wow was when I was first getting
                                involved in Scouting as an adult ten or so years ago and was too green to
                                know what it was. :-)

                                Robert

                                On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                >
                                > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                >
                                > Thanks for your input.
                                >
                                > Judy Yeager

                              • jomarshall57
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 18 10:01 AM
                                  For those of you who are interested in learning more about staging a
                                  successful University of Scouting, Philmont is offering a course this
                                  summer. It covers everthing from logistics to themes to marketing to
                                  record-keeping to classes to recruiting and managing staff and faculty.
                                  Participants will return home with a completely customized plan of
                                  action and timeline.

                                  The course is in workshop format, which means you'll learn from each
                                  other as well as from the instructors. The ideas just explode.

                                  The session was offered for the first time last summer, and, as far as I
                                  know, is the only course teaching event preparation for UOS in the
                                  country. If you'd like to learn how to put on a successful event, come
                                  see us. If you'd like to help others develop their own event, come see
                                  us. If you know someone who could benefit from such a course, please
                                  pass the word on.

                                  Of course, any Philmont session also offers a terrific family vacation
                                  in the heart of the New Mexico mountains. Life doesn't get much better.

                                  Course Title: Planning and Conducting a University of Scouting
                                  Offered: Week 10, August 7-13, 2011
                                  Sign up at www.myscouting.org <http://www.myscouting.org/> , and
                                  register under the Event Registration tab.

                                  For more information, and for more classes, go to
                                  www.philmonttrainingcenter.org <http://www.philmonttrainingcenter.org/>
                                  .

                                  We'd love to see you there!
                                  Jo Marshall,
                                  Instructor

                                • Judy Yeager
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 10, 2011
                                    If any of you are planning to be in the heart of the USA on Saturday,
                                    November 5, 2011, you might consider dropping by the Heart of America
                                    Council University of Scouting. Complete information can be found at

                                    http://www.hoac-bsa.org/Programs/Training/AdultLeaders/SupplementalTraining/UniversityofScouting.aspx

                                    Would love to see you there. You might even win a door prize - we give
                                    away stuff all day long.

                                    Judy Yeager
                                    HOAC Training Chair