Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training for Leave No Trace

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
      I love these hammocks!! I used one at summer camp and they are so comfortable. I just borrowed it and am saving to get one of my very own....

      Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:
      Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
      HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
      wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
      trees. For instance, check out the following page:

      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      connie

    • Ann Puckett
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
        Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

        Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

        I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

        http://www.lnt.org/

        ed5870@... wrote:

        In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        peter.mullaney@... writes:

        Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
        does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
        I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

        It can damage the bark of the tree.

        Ed Harvey
        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
        Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
        I used to be an Antelope
        Hudson Valley Council

        Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

        Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

        ---------------------------------

      • Miss Raye
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
          i'd love that info too!

          raye
          --- Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:

          > JimK wrote:
          > > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
          > > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
          > Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
          > to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
          > LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
          > what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
            Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
            hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
            bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
            removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
            any rope could.

            Pete M.