Re: [Scouter_T] Training for Leave No Trace

  • Ann Puckett
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
      I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

      I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

      http://www.lnt.org/

      ed5870@... wrote:

      In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      peter.mullaney@... writes:

      Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
      does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
      I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

      It can damage the bark of the tree.

      Ed Harvey
      Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
      Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
      I used to be an Antelope
      Hudson Valley Council

      Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
        JimK wrote:
        > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
        > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
        Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
        to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
        LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
        what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
          I love these hammocks!! I used one at summer camp and they are so comfortable. I just borrowed it and am saving to get one of my very own....

          Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:
          Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
          HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
          wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
          trees. For instance, check out the following page:

          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          connie

        • Ann Puckett
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
            Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

            Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

            peter.mullaney@... writes:

            Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
            does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
            I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

            It can damage the bark of the tree.

            Ed Harvey
            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
            Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
            I used to be an Antelope
            Hudson Valley Council

            Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

            Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

            ---------------------------------

          • Miss Raye
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
              i'd love that info too!

              raye
              --- Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:

              > JimK wrote:
              > > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
              > > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
              > Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
              > to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
              > LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
              > what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
                hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
                bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
                removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
                any rope could.

                Pete M.