Re: [Scouter_T] Training for Leave No Trace

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
      In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      peter.mullaney@... writes:

      Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
      does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
      I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

      It can damage the bark of the tree.

      Ed Harvey
      Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
      Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
      I used to be an Antelope
      Hudson Valley Council

    • Ann Puckett
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
        I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

        I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

        http://www.lnt.org/

        peter.mullaney@... writes:

        Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
        does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
        I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

        It can damage the bark of the tree.

        Ed Harvey
        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
        Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
        I used to be an Antelope
        Hudson Valley Council

        Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
          Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.

          Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
        • Wendell Brown
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
            Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
            > Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.
            >
            > Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
            We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
            Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
            HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
            wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
            trees. For instance, check out the following page:

            http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm
          • JimK
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
              Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
              (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.

              - Jim

              We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
              <snip>
            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                JimK wrote:
                > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
                Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
                to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
                LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
                what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                  I love these hammocks!! I used one at summer camp and they are so comfortable. I just borrowed it and am saving to get one of my very own....

                  Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:
                  Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
                  HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
                  wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
                  trees. For instance, check out the following page:

                  http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  connie

                • Ann Puckett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

                    Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

                    peter.mullaney@... writes:

                    Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
                    does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
                    I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

                    It can damage the bark of the tree.

                    Ed Harvey
                    Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                    Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                    I used to be an Antelope
                    Hudson Valley Council

                    Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                    Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Miss Raye
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                      i'd love that info too!

                      raye
                      --- Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:

                      > JimK wrote:
                      > > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                      > > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
                      > Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
                      > to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
                      > LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
                      > what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
                        hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
                        bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
                        removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
                        any rope could.

                        Pete M.