Re: [Scouter_T] Training for Leave No Trace

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      You may do better sending these suggestions to National through your
      district your council training chairs, to national. It is my
      understanding that national welcomes suggestions like this one, even
      though coordinating these changes requires staffing it through many
      different committees.

      Dave

      --
      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
        does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
        I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

        Pete Mullaney

      • ed5870@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
          In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          peter.mullaney@... writes:

          Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
          does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
          I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

          It can damage the bark of the tree.

          Ed Harvey
          Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
          Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
          I used to be an Antelope
          Hudson Valley Council

        • Ann Puckett
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
            I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

            I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

            http://www.lnt.org/

            peter.mullaney@... writes:

            Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
            does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
            I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

            It can damage the bark of the tree.

            Ed Harvey
            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
            Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
            I used to be an Antelope
            Hudson Valley Council

            Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

          • Fred Goodwin, CMA
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
              Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.

              Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
                > Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.
                >
                > Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
                We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
                Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
                HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
                wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
                trees. For instance, check out the following page:

                http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm
              • JimK
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                  (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.

                  - Jim

                  We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
                  <snip>
                • Wendell Brown
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                    JimK wrote:
                    > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                    > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
                    Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
                    to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
                    LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
                    what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

                        Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

                        peter.mullaney@... writes:

                        Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
                        does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
                        I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

                        It can damage the bark of the tree.

                        Ed Harvey
                        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                        Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                        I used to be an Antelope
                        Hudson Valley Council

                        Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                        Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                        ---------------------------------

                      • Miss Raye
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                          i'd love that info too!

                          raye

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
                            hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
                            bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
                            removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
                            any rope could.

                            Pete M.