Training for Leave No Trace

  • joedet@Hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
      The Boy Scouts of America is telling us to teach Leave No Trace and even
      gives out awards for this. My question is if we are trying to do this
      then why is national putting out Webelo Books showing how to tie tents
      to trees? How many other books does BSA publish showing and telling us
      things to do against the Leave No Trace Policy?

      Joedet
      Bip

      11/2/2005
    • Miss Raye
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hey Joedet..

        I've had some similar questions.. and you should send those questions to
        national through your DE.

        they may not 'see' the problem.. it's up to us to point it out..
        raye

        --- joedet@... wrote:

        > The Boy Scouts of America is telling us to teach Leave No Trace and even
        > gives out awards for this. My question is if we are trying to do this
        > then why is national putting out Webelo Books showing how to tie tents
        > to trees? How many other books does BSA publish showing and telling us
        > things to do against the Leave No Trace Policy?
        >

        > Joedet
        > Bip
        >
        > --
        > 11/2/2005

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          You may do better sending these suggestions to National through your
          district your council training chairs, to national. It is my
          understanding that national welcomes suggestions like this one, even
          though coordinating these changes requires staffing it through many
          different committees.

          Dave

          --
          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
            does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
            I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

            Pete Mullaney

          • ed5870@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
              In a message dated 11/3/2005 4:24:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              peter.mullaney@... writes:

              Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
              does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
              I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

              It can damage the bark of the tree.

              Ed Harvey
              Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
              Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
              I used to be an Antelope
              Hudson Valley Council

            • Ann Puckett
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

                I'm attaching a link to the official Leave No Trace website:

                http://www.lnt.org/

                peter.mullaney@... writes:

                Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
                does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
                I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

                It can damage the bark of the tree.

                Ed Harvey
                Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                I used to be an Antelope
                Hudson Valley Council

                Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

              • Fred Goodwin, CMA
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.

                  Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
                • Wendell Brown
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
                    > Page 237 of the Boy Scout HB shows a dining fly secured to two trees.
                    >
                    > Page 225 of the Fieldbook shows a hammock secured to two trees.
                    We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
                    Apparently, it depends on the type of tree (specifically the bark) and
                    HOW the hammock (or fly) is attached. Many of the new hammock's have
                    wide bands (nylon belts) that make them pretty LNT friendly to the
                    trees. For instance, check out the following page:

                    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/LNT.htm
                  • JimK
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                      (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.

                      - Jim

                      We have talked about this quite a bit on the LNT Trainer list.
                      <snip>
                    • Wendell Brown
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                        JimK wrote:
                        > Could you tell us where to find the LNT Trainer list? I searched Yahoo
                        > (eGroups) and only found one that was very quiet.
                        Actually, it's running on a university server and I don't have a clue as
                        to how to subscribe (we were automatically subscribed when we took our
                        LNT Instructor class). I'll send a message and see if I can figure out
                        what the prerequisites are and how to subscribe.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Aahh...bark - makes sense....I definetly am going to save to get one of those hammocks - they look great! Thanks for the link.

                            Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:I was wondering the same thing, in fact Boy Scouts create rope structures all the time that are tied to trees, and as long as they are taken down it follows the Leave No Trace concept, in fact I'm training it to boys this weekend.

                            peter.mullaney@... writes:

                            Just a question - do not have the WEBELOS book, but how
                            does tying a tent to a tree violate leave no trace?
                            I'm sure it doesn't girdle or otherwise destroy the tree.

                            It can damage the bark of the tree.

                            Ed Harvey
                            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                            Tri-Valley Cub Training Chair
                            I used to be an Antelope
                            Hudson Valley Council

                            Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                            Training programs Training program development Fitness training program Scouting camera Outdoors Training program evaluation

                            ---------------------------------

                          • Miss Raye
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                              i'd love that info too!

                              raye

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                                Even with a smooth barked tree like a birch, I would find this very
                                hard to believe. If we follow this line then we'd have to ban using
                                bear bags for the same reason. Deer (and other like animals)
                                removing velvet from their antlers probably cause more damage than
                                any rope could.

                                Pete M.