Re: [Scouter_T] University of Scouting

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi,
      We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

      I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
      and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
      there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

      connie

    • Robert L. DeWitt
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
        The Uos is on the 12th of November, this year. If you think you can get it
        here I would be grateful. the address is as follows

        Robert L. Dewitt
        2323 Travis Road
        Augusta, Ga 30906

        Thanks, Robert

        _____

        We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
        of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
        believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

        I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
        and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
        there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

        connie

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "scouter_t
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

          We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
          of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
          believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

          I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
          and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
          there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

          connie

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "scouter_t
          " on the web.

          .

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          connie

        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 31 11:18 PM
            Heart of America Council's 2006 University of Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006. This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders.

            We are offering our usual Pow Wow Book which we have renamed the Cub Scout Resource Book plus a resource book for Boy Scout/Venturing Leaders.

            If you are in the vicinity of Kansas City the first Saturday in November, come join us. If you can't attend, you can order books (which are available in paper or CD format) if you would like.

            You can access complete information at

            www.hoac-bsa.org

            On the main page click on University of Scouting.

            Hope we can see all of you in November.

            Judy Yeager
            HOAC

          • Dan Hammond, Sr.
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2006
              "Judy Yeager" kcjscout@... posted in part:

              "Heart of America Council's 2006 University of
              Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006.
              This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include
              all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and
              activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders."<snip>

              Continued; "Hope we can see all of you in November."
              Judy Yeager
              HOAC

              Judy, et al, I hope to be there!

              Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
              Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
              Kaw District Training Chairman,
              CM P3001, SA T366, NRA Life Member
              |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
              I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
              And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

              Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Judy Yeager
              Message 6 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                I am curious about a couple of things:

                * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                Scouting and can you share an example?
                * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?

                Thanks for your input.

                Judy Yeager

              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                  This is my 12th year. We've never had a UoS, and I think the last Council Pow Wow was at least 3 years ago. = (

                  Lisa
                  Sent from my iPod

                  On May 17, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                  > I am curious about a couple of things:
                  >
                  > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                  > Scouting and can you share an example?
                  > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                  > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                  >
                  > Thanks for your input.
                  >
                  > Judy Yeager

                • Sandra Martens
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                    we held our first UofS this year.  it had no theme, and was a very low budget event.  We offered 20 cub scout courses over 4 hours in the morning, and 20 boy scout courses over 4 hours in the afternoon.
                    no patch, cost $5.

                    we have not been able to have a successful Pow Wow in many years, stopped doing them in 2002.  this was an option we felt was viable.

                    Sandy OWL

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                      Our University of Scouting uses the theme for the following years Cub Scout
                      Summer Camps theme.

                      This past year we had a Western theme because that is what we are using for
                      a theme this summer with our Cub camps.

                      We haven't had Pow Wow in many years.

                      Cheryl Ostrander

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                        Sam Houston Area holds a University of Scouting and Cub Leader Pow Wow
                        annually.  Each has a theme with is used mostly for promotion, including a
                        patch.  The course offering for the most part aren't theme centric.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                          <<* How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                          Scouting and can you share an example?
                          * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                          Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?>>

                          We hold two semesters of the University of Scouting in fall and spring. There is a General College, a Cub Scout College, a Boy Scout College, a Venturing/Sea Scouting College. Sometimes the College of Commissioner Science is included. This year for the first time there was a Varsity College There is also the Doctoral Studies section. We had over 700 people attend 120 different courses at our spring semester.

                          The Cub Scout College is also known as Pow Wow.

                          The packet is still online: http://training.nsbsa.org/uploadedFiles/file/UofS/UofS%20full%20catalog%203_14_11.pdf

                          This spring's theme was "Scouting Safari" - pith helmets and vests were the order of the day. Last spring was Scouting Science - lab coats, test tubes, etc.

                          Jamie Niss Dunn
                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          Troop Committee, Troop 509
                          Ham Lake, MN
                          Secretary, Crew 849
                          Coon Rapids, MN
                          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                          Three Rivers District

                        • pjolds
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                            We held our last Pow Wow in 2005 and were lucky to have 81 people attend. Registration had been even lower the year before. In an attempt to boost attendance, we switched over to University of Scouting in 2006. The strategy worked and with last year's U of S, we had an attendance of about 300.

                            We do choose a theme, usually matching it to something that is happening either with our local council or with National's annual brand identity (i.e "Prepared. For Life"). The event patch, opening ceremony, etc are all designed to fit in with that theme.

                            Paula Ball
                            University of Scouting Chairman
                            Erie Shores Council

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                            > I am curious about a couple of things:
                            >
                            > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                            > Scouting and can you share an example?
                            > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                            > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                            >
                            > Thanks for your input.
                            >
                            > Judy Yeager

                          • Corinna Jones
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                              We have an annual UoS without a separate Powwow. It is well received, but
                              still, there are many familiar faces. It has been around as long as I have
                              become active, so for at least 8 years.
                              The Commissioner College is a completely separate event.
                              There is no special theme.

                              This year it has been moved from the first Scouting for Food weekend (bag
                              pass-out) in November to January, to see if that timing allows for more
                              participants and a smoother Scouting for Food process.

                              Corinna
                              Great Lakes Council

                              > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                              > Scouting and can you share an example?
                              > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                              > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                              >
                              > Thanks for your input.
                              >
                              > Judy Yeager

                            • A. Dukovic
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                All, Central Region has Lord Baden-Powell University of Scouting has theirs yearly on the Illinois Wisconsin state line in Camp Lake Wisconsin; go to www.lbpuniv.org for more info.

                                Our Council does a "training day" which we're in the process of moving to each district for a better turn out.  We also sponsor a day-long computer based on-line training day as well.

                                - Art

                              • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                  Golden Empire Council had been doing Pow Wow only up until 5 years ago. I think we were averaging around 150 attendance. We switched to UoS that included Pow Wow and have been bringing in around 600 including staff. No theme. Price is around $20 and includes a patch and catered lunch (sandwich, chips, water and flavor packets for water if you want one.) The first two years we tried farming out the lunch to units as fundraisers with almost disastrous results. This year there was no late registration at the door. I'm not sure how that worked out. Pre-registration on line is required and the classes are closed when they reach capacity. I didn't attend this year, but in previous years they have had vendors and various scout groups with displays at lunch. (Camp promotions, NYLT, WB, retail vendors and scout shop, outdoor groups, etc). It's been held the 3rd Saturday in January at a centrally located high school.

                                  Bruce Johnson

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                    Judy,
                                    The Cherokee Area Council in Chattanooga doesn't have themes for University
                                    of Scouting. The last time we had a Pow Wow was when I was first getting
                                    involved in Scouting as an adult ten or so years ago and was too green to
                                    know what it was. :-)

                                    Robert

                                    On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                    > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                    >
                                    > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                    > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                    > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                    > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your input.
                                    >
                                    > Judy Yeager

                                  • jomarshall57
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                      For those of you who are interested in learning more about staging a
                                      successful University of Scouting, Philmont is offering a course this
                                      summer. It covers everthing from logistics to themes to marketing to
                                      record-keeping to classes to recruiting and managing staff and faculty.
                                      Participants will return home with a completely customized plan of
                                      action and timeline.

                                      The course is in workshop format, which means you'll learn from each
                                      other as well as from the instructors. The ideas just explode.

                                      The session was offered for the first time last summer, and, as far as I
                                      know, is the only course teaching event preparation for UOS in the
                                      country. If you'd like to learn how to put on a successful event, come
                                      see us. If you'd like to help others develop their own event, come see
                                      us. If you know someone who could benefit from such a course, please
                                      pass the word on.

                                      Of course, any Philmont session also offers a terrific family vacation
                                      in the heart of the New Mexico mountains. Life doesn't get much better.

                                      Course Title: Planning and Conducting a University of Scouting
                                      Offered: Week 10, August 7-13, 2011
                                      Sign up at www.myscouting.org <http://www.myscouting.org/> , and
                                      register under the Event Registration tab.

                                      For more information, and for more classes, go to
                                      www.philmonttrainingcenter.org <http://www.philmonttrainingcenter.org/>
                                      .

                                      We'd love to see you there!
                                      Jo Marshall,
                                      Instructor

                                    • Judy Yeager
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2011
                                        If any of you are planning to be in the heart of the USA on Saturday,
                                        November 5, 2011, you might consider dropping by the Heart of America
                                        Council University of Scouting. Complete information can be found at

                                        http://www.hoac-bsa.org/Programs/Training/AdultLeaders/SupplementalTraining/UniversityofScouting.aspx

                                        Would love to see you there. You might even win a door prize - we give
                                        away stuff all day long.

                                        Judy Yeager
                                        HOAC Training Chair