Re: [Scouter_T] Re: BALOO vs. Outdoor Leader Training?

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 27, 2005
      Jim,

      Having presented BALOO numerous times, the question that invariably
      comes up is, "How do I get around the rule?" Typically, leaders will
      ask if they can take the den camping if "just their den" shows up. Of
      course. But organizing it as a den, and not involving or inviting the
      rest of the pack, does not make it a pack campout, it's simply a den
      trying to do something that is clearly against the rules by
      conveniently being the only ones to know about and attend the campout.

      YiS,
      Sean

      On Oct 27, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Jim von Schmacht wrote:

      > It says nothing about limiting it to a Den "specifically" - the
      > intent is
      > that it be Pack Approved and Supervised.
    • Fred Goodwin
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 28, 2005
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "JTL" <jtlanejr@y...> wrote:

        > Thank you to all that provided information. I have decided not
        > to attend the course and will save it for next year should the
        > pack have a need for it at that time.

        Why not attend anyway, then you can coordinate a spring campout for
        the whole pack? It sounds as if your pack doesn't do much camping,
        and if that's true, you can help change that for the better.

        > My original motivation for attending the course was purely selfish
        > for my den.

        Its not really "selfish" to want to give your boys the best outdoor
        experience you can. Its just that BSA's policy of age-appropriate
        activities says Tiger, Wolf and Bear dens have to wait.

        > I am confident that the intent of the "guide to safe scouting" is
        > to prevent this type of den only camping and I will abide by that.

        I hope there's a reason behind what BSA does, even if its not always
        obvious at first glance.

        Fred G.