re Webelos Leader Overnight

  • shattuckb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      I had sent a memo to BSA, Irving about the status of the Webelos Leader
      Overnight and it's relationship to BALOO and the new Outdoor Leader Training
      course. Here's the reply received.

      Bill "Moose" Shattuck

      The current Webelos Leader Outdoor Training continues to be the outdoor
      training course for Webelos leaders for the time being.   A review is planned
      for 2002, and it will probably be revised or redone then.

      BALOO training is for the pack leader who is responsible for planning and
      directing pack camping (not Webelos den camping.)  This is normally the
      outdoors member of the pack committee.  It doesn't involve outdoor skills.

      The Outdoor Skills course is for Boy Scout leaders and Venturing leaders,
      although there is no harm in Webelos leaders attending, as long as they
      understand the very distinct differences between Webelos den overnights and
      Boy Scout troop camping, and don't try to do the latter with their dens.

      Hope this helps answer your question.

      E.R. (Tommy) Thomas
      Associate National Director
      Cub Scout Division