New Leader Essentials

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2001
      Frank,

      Remember that the New Leader Essentials Courses currently being run are
      pilots. The completed course materials are due, according to the NE
      Region Director, in May. Once they arrive, I am sure our friends on
      this list will be sounding the trumpets and letting us all know the
      publication numbers.

      Yours in Socuting,
      Ken Todd, Cub RTC
      NE-CS-59 Beaver

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2002
        Quick question: New Leader essentials is the responsibility of the
        District Training staff, correct? I realize that the training is included
        in the training Kits but it seems to be a Commissioner responsibility.

        David Vaughan
        Council Training Chair
        Southern Sierra Council
        W4-57-86
        DVAUGHAN@...
        Still a Buffalo....

        There's only one thing wrong with Boy Scouts...
        there aren't enough of 'em.
        -Will Rogers
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 26, 2002
          David D. Vaughan wrote:

          >Quick question: New Leader essentials is the responsibility of the
          >District Training staff, correct? I realize that the training is included
          >in the training Kits but it seems to be a Commissioner responsibility.

          Yes. ...Why? Do Commissioners do all the training in your Council??
          This is a training course just like any other "basic" training course.
          It is a required part of the "basic" training of any adult leader, and
          as such, should fall under the responsibility of your district training
          staff. In fact, the majority of the material in this course used to be
          folded in the "basic training" courses of the past (Cub Leader Basic &
          SMF).

          Now, having said that, the Commissioners staff could easily give this
          training, especially when you consider that its recommended to take
          place within 30 days and right after "Fast Start"; and, if they are
          close to the units, as a "friend" they could easily perform this
          service. It really depends on how your district is set up to deliver
          training in general and the strength of your commissioners corps in
          particular. Traditionally, commissioners have always been strong in
          training, often holding positions on both staffs. In our district, we
          have a strong training team and a weak commissioners staff. We put this
          training on 6-8 times a year, including with every set of "position
          (leader) specific" training for Cub Scout leaders, events we call "Super
          Saturdays" because all five courses are given simultaneously, right
          after a joint NLE session. If we had a strong commissioners staff, this
          could easily be given by either or both staffs.

          It is our District's training team's long term goal to allow/promote
          this training to take place at the unit level, if there are people
          qualified to do this (read Pack/Troop trainers trained by the district
          training team).

          Hope this sheds some light on National's intent. Like many things in
          Scouting, it's ultimately more important that someone qualified put this
          training on, than to worry about who's turf its on.
          Jim ball
          Sand Lake District Training chair
        • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2002
            In our Council, NLE and Cub Scout Leader specific training are assigned to
            the four District Training Committees under the general supervision of the
            Assistant Council Training Chairman. The Boy Scout Leader trainings are
            assigned to the Council Training Chairman. Youth Protection is under the
            general supervision of the Youth Protection Lead Trainer but conducted by
            specially trained District Training Committee members. Venturing Adult
            leader training will be done by the Council Venturing Committee, which will
            have its own training chair (this is just being formed). [Kent: feel free to
            correct me if I'm wrong here]

            I assume the duty assignment splits we are using were not mandated by Irving
            but rather how our Council Training Chair decided to delegate the work.

            Larry Ohs
            Arborland District Training Committee
            Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
            Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee
            "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00