Outdoorsman part of OWLT

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hello all,
      I am teaching the outdoorsman activity pin. Do you really have the
      participants do the packing exercise? I am inclined to say no but
      sometimes it is better to get a different perspective.

      Also that training website that Ida put out there. That is the new
      OWLT sylabus?

      I have the old one and was told we were working off of that but I am
      finding ways to combine the two.....

      Connie
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
        This new syllabus assumes that you are running OWL training right
        beside the Boy Scout Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills. This may
        not fit in with the program your course leader has planned.

        Dave

        --
        To reply, click on the address below.

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
          I understand and what I am gonna do is use the old one and only add things in from the new one if they pertain to cub scouts........
          I don't plan to stray from the old one hardly at all........

          --
          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
            we do a back pack game instead- pack 2 (or however many dens you have) identical backpacks and put things that belong and don't belong. Give them a time limit to unpack, identify correct and incorrect things, and repack. best job done gets a prize.

            the best thing my leaders like for outdoorsman though is the blind tent relay. Each den has a captain (who is not blindfolded) and everyone else, who are blindfolded. The captain reads the instructions and tells the rest of the den how to put up the tent. (we usually don't include the rain fly but you can if it seems to be too easy). The captain cannot help in anyway except talking- he can'g guide them or help them at all.

            It's a great way to introduce them to setting up tents at night (as always happens in Boy Scouts). After all, if you can set up a tent blindfolded, you can set it up in the dark.

            Sandy OWL

            Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:
            Hello all,
            I am teaching the outdoorsman activity pin. Do you really have the
            participants do the packing exercise? I am inclined to say no but
            sometimes it is better to get a different perspective.

            Also that training website that Ida put out there. That is the new
            OWLT sylabus?

            I have the old one and was told we were working off of that but I am
            finding ways to combine the two.....

            Connie

            Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
              I like that exercise alot but my round robins only have 20 minutes for the Outdoorsman Pin. I will suggest it though to get the boys ready.......

              Sandra Martens <sandyowl1@...> wrote:we do a back pack game instead- pack 2 (or however many dens you have) identical backpacks and put things that belong and don't belong. Give them a time limit to unpack, identify correct and incorrect things, and repack. best job done gets a prize.

[...]

            • Scott & Rita Eliason
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
                But.it may also be run completely stand alone, without connection to IOLS.

                Scott Eliason

                --
                To reply, click on the address below.

                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                Training
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Training+programs&w1=Training+programs&
                w2=Training+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restaurant&w4=Fitnes
                s+training+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=163&.sig=Z6otyjr
                JFWymAZ9Em9G2kQ> programs

                Training
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Training+program+development&w1=Trainin
                g+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restauran
                t&w4=Fitness+training+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=163&.
                sig=OtZZsESFeknzSlZ8fwiNHg> program development

                Training
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Training+program+for+restaurant&w1=Trai
                ning+programs&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restau
                rant&w4=Fitness+training+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=16
                3&.sig=AiB1SvJfSgGNQBzSLldkwQ> program for restaurant

                Fitness
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fitness+training+program&w1=Training+pr
                ograms&w2=Training+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restaurant&w4
                =Fitness+training+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=163&.sig=
                _Sp4ovp1HtoEBRSvGGdqfw> training program

                Gsi
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Training+programs&w2=Tr
                aining+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restaurant&w4=Fitness+tra
                ining+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=163&.sig=W4nKAkXL7Sgy
                m6b1qXcYvw> outdoors

                Scouting
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouting+camera&w1=Training+programs&w2
                =Training+program+development&w3=Training+program+for+restaurant&w4=Fitness+
                training+program&w5=Gsi+outdoors&w6=Scouting+camera&c=6&s=163&.sig=Y9NWrw8N7
                LGgQLKgOWXz2Q> camera

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "scouter_t
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

                _____

              • Sandra Martens
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
                  when we run OWL we adapt the schedule. We usually don't run the outdoorsman 20 class- most of it is covered throughout the day. We do all the "training" in the morning giving more time for some sessions and less for others (knots, first aid, geologist get more)- geologist, webelos activities, forester, naturalist, knots, and sometimes firebuilding and first aid, then eat lunch, have about 1 1/2 hours of activities- highlighting the earlier training, then run set up a campsite, cooking, sanitation, flag, and campfire. among the activities are a scavenger hunt (finding 20 items and picking the activity pin they go with eg: map for traveler, band aid on a tree for readyman, football for sportsman, etc . this helps esp new Webelos leaders get an idea of all the pins, it also teaches them to observe all around, not just straight down the path), making fire starters, making bug cages, a knot relay, steal the bacon with first aid questions, and the blind tent relay. They also earn their
                  whittling chip during campsite selection and wood tools.
                  after supper they get about 1/2 hr to prepare their part of a canned campfire and then we put it on. I use a canned one so they see what a good campfire program should look like. My people love it.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
                    Wow that is a really amazing way to do it. Ours was following the sylabus exactly but I have to give the guy credit who is running it. He just jumped in with both feet because if he had not we would not have had a training at all. So he stayed true........
                    Can you send me a schedule you follow? Maybe we can try for the spring.....

                    connie