Re: [Scouter_T] Juniata Valley Council Website

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      I've made this suggestion a time or two here.

      There is a difference between sharing a PowerPoint briefing, or some
      great visuals, and actually passing computer friendly parts of syllabi,
      or just flat out copying the material. This has been addressed in
      regards to Wood Badge copyright material as well. Somehow we don't seem
      to realize that most of BSA training material is copyrighted, and
      shouldn't be copied.

      I do have to make on exception, and this is the bin item pubs, which
      are supplied to individuals free, although Councils requesting a number
      of these publications, in quantity, for a course have to pay for the
      shipping on these items.

      In this case, such as the syllabus for the WEBELOS Leader Outdoor
      Skills Course [outline of scheduling this with an ongoing Boy Scout
      Leader IOLS course] which was issued as a bin item, so no money is lost
      to National if the material is copied, copying should/can be justified.

      Of course much of the problems stems from playing fast and loose with
      copyright issues, and copying anything available, for use with a course.
      I have found, as I have pointed out ever 3-6 months on this forum that
      it is usually cheaper in the long run to buy one or two syllabi each
      time the course is run, than to make tons of copies of a training guide
      that may not be current or up to date. If you buy a couple of these
      outlines each time you run the course, I'd see nothing wrong with
      copying the changes so that they may be given to people who still have
      the older guides. Morally this is wrong, but it is an easy way to
      provide everyone with current information, and seems to be acceptable to
      me. I will always remember foot lockers of old reference material
      lovingly stored and carefully arranged on a table in the back of the
      room; with no thought to the fact that most of these items are out of
      date, and not available to the learners through BSA.

      Dave

      --
      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342