Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

      As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

      I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

      This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

      And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

      Judy Yeager
      NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
      C-29-99 Antelope
      CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

    • Judy Yeager

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
          re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
          Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
          portions of the other programs.

          Dave

          Judy Yeager wrote:

          > I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.
          >

          > Judy Yeager

          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
            I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who seeks to better thier leadership skills through training........

            Paul <plamson13642@...> wrote:My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
            to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
            it.

            connie

          • lbthmi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
              I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
              taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
              the beads" :)

              When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
              Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
              "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

              I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
              discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
              "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
              knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
              ---
              Leslie

              In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              cknie23100@... writes:

              I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
              seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                  I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                  that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                  begin with the usual self introduction.

                  I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                  Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                  I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                  served on staff for several courses in the previous
                  syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                  course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                  or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                  you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                  Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                  Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                  SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                  syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                  evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                  of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                  post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                  material.
                  If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                  just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                  the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                  Admin Guide:

                  Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                  past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                  Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                  21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                  and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                  (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                  have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                  21st Century ticket.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com