Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • rhowe
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      Neil:

      I concur with your statement on certain requirements.
      I just checked the upcoming years syllabus and it is stated that way .

      Ray Howe
      C-30-05

    • lbthmi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hey, I don't know about getting a whole new set of beads. I guess I will
        either have some one tell me or have to wait and see. But I really have been a
        bit more partial to be a Bobwhite than a Buffalo. I heard through the
        grapevine that I was not made a Bobwhite at my second course purely because I was
        already one.

        BTW, our course # for next Spring is C-8-6.
        ---
        Leslie

        In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:56:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        kevinpate@... writes:

        > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
        > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
        > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-98 - Buffalo). ...
        > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
        > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
        > my third bead to?

        That's easy ... C-33-98 of course.
        See my reasoning below 8^)

        Kevin
        SR-CS-10 (used to be a Bodacious Buffalo)
        SR-417 (used to be a Buff Buff Buffalo)

        PS I'm a guessin', cause I always just kinda sorta
        assumed they gave ya another set of three when ya
        staff a course.

      • lbthmi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          Oh wow, I'll be able to claim to be a nine beader :)
          ---
          Leslie

          In a message dated 10/3/2005 9:06:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          sscott@... writes:

          On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

          > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
          > when ya staff a course.

          Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
          have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
          your own woggle...

          YiS,
          Sean
          WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
          W4-45-02 Troop Guide
          W4-45-03 Scribe
          W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides

        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            I, too, have full regalia (beads, necker and woggle) from Cub Trainer WB (NC-C10 Bobwhite) and Boy Scout WB (C-29-99 Antelope.) I am also a 21st Century three-beader beginning with CR-Y2K-X3, one of the pilot courses. I have the original 21st Century necker (tan with green piping), as well as the present one, and several of the woggles.

            In these parts, you do get a brand new set of beads when you become a three beader, so you don't have to decide which one to add the third bead to.

            During that pilot course, our SM asked that we remove one of our three beads and replace it with a bead from our replica of the Dinizulu necklace. That's a special one for me and it is still there.

            Judy Yeager

          • Judy Yeager
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

              As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

              I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

              This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

              And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

              Judy Yeager
              NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
              C-29-99 Antelope
              CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

            • Judy Yeager

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                  I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
                  re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
                  Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
                  portions of the other programs.

                  Dave

                  Judy Yeager wrote:

                  > I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.
                  >

                  > Judy Yeager

                  To reply, click on the address below.

                  245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                    I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who seeks to better thier leadership skills through training........

                    Paul <plamson13642@...> wrote:My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
                    to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
                    it.

                    connie

                  • lbthmi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                      I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
                      taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
                      the beads" :)

                      When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
                      Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
                      "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

                      I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
                      discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
                      "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
                      knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
                      ---
                      Leslie

                      In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      cknie23100@... writes:

                      I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
                      seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                          I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                          that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                          begin with the usual self introduction.

                          I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                          Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                          I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                          served on staff for several courses in the previous
                          syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                          course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                          or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                          you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                          Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                          Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                          SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                          syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                          evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                          of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                          post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                          material.
                          If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                          just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                          the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                          Admin Guide:

                          Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                          past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                          Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                          21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                          and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                          (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                          have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                          21st Century ticket.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com