Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a message dated 10/3/05 4:44:37 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

      > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter
      > has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other
      > "requirements"
      >

      > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
      > course with certain requirements.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Neil Lupton

      My understanding (could be wrong) is that a participant who took one of the
      "old" Wood Badges must agree to write and work a full 21st Century WB ticket
      and during the period of time that they are working it until they complete their
      ticket, they agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief and woggle from the
      old course. Once they complete the 21st Century WB ticket, they can go
      back into full WB regalia.

      The idea is that if you are going to take the new course, you take the full
      new course including ticket, not just the one week or two weekends. No
      "auditors" for the new course.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • rhowe
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        Neil:

        I concur with your statement on certain requirements.
        I just checked the upcoming years syllabus and it is stated that way .

        Ray Howe
        C-30-05

      • lbthmi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hey, I don't know about getting a whole new set of beads. I guess I will
          either have some one tell me or have to wait and see. But I really have been a
          bit more partial to be a Bobwhite than a Buffalo. I heard through the
          grapevine that I was not made a Bobwhite at my second course purely because I was
          already one.

          BTW, our course # for next Spring is C-8-6.
          ---
          Leslie

          In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:56:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          kevinpate@... writes:

          > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
          > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
          > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-98 - Buffalo). ...
          > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
          > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
          > my third bead to?

          That's easy ... C-33-98 of course.
          See my reasoning below 8^)

          Kevin
          SR-CS-10 (used to be a Bodacious Buffalo)
          SR-417 (used to be a Buff Buff Buffalo)

          PS I'm a guessin', cause I always just kinda sorta
          assumed they gave ya another set of three when ya
          staff a course.

        • lbthmi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            Oh wow, I'll be able to claim to be a nine beader :)
            ---
            Leslie

            In a message dated 10/3/2005 9:06:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            sscott@... writes:

            On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

            > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
            > when ya staff a course.

            Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
            have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
            your own woggle...

            YiS,
            Sean
            WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
            W4-45-02 Troop Guide
            W4-45-03 Scribe
            W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides

          • Judy Yeager
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              I, too, have full regalia (beads, necker and woggle) from Cub Trainer WB (NC-C10 Bobwhite) and Boy Scout WB (C-29-99 Antelope.) I am also a 21st Century three-beader beginning with CR-Y2K-X3, one of the pilot courses. I have the original 21st Century necker (tan with green piping), as well as the present one, and several of the woggles.

              In these parts, you do get a brand new set of beads when you become a three beader, so you don't have to decide which one to add the third bead to.

              During that pilot course, our SM asked that we remove one of our three beads and replace it with a bead from our replica of the Dinizulu necklace. That's a special one for me and it is still there.

              Judy Yeager

            • Judy Yeager
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

                As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

                I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

                This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

                And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

                Judy Yeager
                NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
                C-29-99 Antelope
                CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

              • Judy Yeager

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                    I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
                    re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
                    Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
                    portions of the other programs.

                    Dave

                    Judy Yeager wrote:

                    > I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.
                    >

                    > Judy Yeager

                    To reply, click on the address below.

                    245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                      I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who seeks to better thier leadership skills through training........

                      Paul <plamson13642@...> wrote:My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
                      to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
                      it.

                      connie

                    • lbthmi@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                        I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
                        taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
                        the beads" :)

                        When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
                        Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
                        "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

                        I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
                        discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
                        "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
                        knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
                        ---
                        Leslie

                        In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        cknie23100@... writes:

                        I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
                        seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                            I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                            that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                            begin with the usual self introduction.

                            I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                            Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                            I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                            served on staff for several courses in the previous
                            syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                            course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                            or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                            you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                            Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                            Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                            SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                            syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                            evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                            of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                            post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                            material.
                            If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                            just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                            the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                            Admin Guide:

                            Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                            past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                            Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                            21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                            and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                            (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                            have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                            21st Century ticket.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com