Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
      > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
      > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-19 - Buffalo). ...
      > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
      > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
      > my third bead to?

      That's easy ... C-33-19 of course.
      See my reasoning below 8^)

      Kevin
      SR-CS-10 (used to be a Bodacious Buffalo)
      SR-417 (used to be a Buff Buff Buffalo)

      PS I'm a guessin', cause I always just kinda sorta
      assumed they gave ya another set of three when ya
      staff a course.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

        > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
        > when ya staff a course.

        Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
        have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
        your own woggle...

        YiS,
        Sean
        WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
        W4-45-02 Troop Guide
        W4-45-03 Scribe
        W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides
      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          In a message dated 10/3/05 12:35:36 PM, sscott@... writes:

          > Neil,
          >
          > You missed (at least, there are probably more still):
          > Cub Trainer Wood Badge
          > Varsity Wood Badge
          >
          > Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
          > Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
          > of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
          > staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
          > fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
          > case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?
          >
          > YiS,
          > Sean

          You're right, Sean. I also missed Walking Wood Badge and Explorer Wood
          Badge (Crews were, I believe, Daniel Boone, Kit Carson, Davy Crockett
          and Jim Bridger).

          To answer your other questions, as I understand matters:

          Yes
          No
          Yes
          Yes
          You could call yourself a double 4 beader if you wished.

          Or else one could simply call themself Dinizulu and wear as many beads as
          they wishes :)

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            In a message dated 10/3/05 4:44:37 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

            > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter
            > has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other
            > "requirements"
            >

            > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
            > course with certain requirements.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Neil Lupton

            My understanding (could be wrong) is that a participant who took one of the
            "old" Wood Badges must agree to write and work a full 21st Century WB ticket
            and during the period of time that they are working it until they complete their
            ticket, they agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief and woggle from the
            old course. Once they complete the 21st Century WB ticket, they can go
            back into full WB regalia.

            The idea is that if you are going to take the new course, you take the full
            new course including ticket, not just the one week or two weekends. No
            "auditors" for the new course.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • rhowe
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              Neil:

              I concur with your statement on certain requirements.
              I just checked the upcoming years syllabus and it is stated that way .

              Ray Howe
              C-30-05

            • lbthmi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                Hey, I don't know about getting a whole new set of beads. I guess I will
                either have some one tell me or have to wait and see. But I really have been a
                bit more partial to be a Bobwhite than a Buffalo. I heard through the
                grapevine that I was not made a Bobwhite at my second course purely because I was
                already one.

                BTW, our course # for next Spring is C-8-6.
                ---
                Leslie

                In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:56:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                kevinpate@... writes:

                > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
                > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
                > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-98 - Buffalo). ...
                > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
                > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
                > my third bead to?

                That's easy ... C-33-98 of course.

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Oh wow, I'll be able to claim to be a nine beader :)
                  ---
                  Leslie

                  In a message dated 10/3/2005 9:06:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  sscott@... writes:

                  On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

                  > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
                  > when ya staff a course.

                  Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
                  have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
                  your own woggle...

                  YiS,
                  Sean
                  WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
                  W4-45-02 Troop Guide
                  W4-45-03 Scribe
                  W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides

                • Judy Yeager
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                    I, too, have full regalia (beads, necker and woggle) from Cub Trainer WB (NC-C10 Bobwhite) and Boy Scout WB (C-29-99 Antelope.) I am also a 21st Century three-beader beginning with CR-Y2K-X3, one of the pilot courses. I have the original 21st Century necker (tan with green piping), as well as the present one, and several of the woggles.

                    In these parts, you do get a brand new set of beads when you become a three beader, so you don't have to decide which one to add the third bead to.

                    During that pilot course, our SM asked that we remove one of our three beads and replace it with a bead from our replica of the Dinizulu necklace. That's a special one for me and it is still there.

                    Judy Yeager

                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

                      As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

                      I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

                      This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

                      And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

                      Judy Yeager
                      NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
                      C-29-99 Antelope
                      CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

                    • Judy Yeager

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                          I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
                          re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
                          Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
                          portions of the other programs.

                          Dave

                          Judy Yeager wrote:

                          > I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.
                          >

                          > Judy Yeager

                          To reply, click on the address below.

                          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                            I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who seeks to better thier leadership skills through training........

                            Paul <plamson13642@...> wrote:My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
                            to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
                            it.

                            connie

                          • lbthmi@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                              I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
                              taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
                              the beads" :)

                              When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
                              Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
                              "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

                              I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
                              discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
                              "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
                              knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
                              ---
                              Leslie

                              In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              cknie23100@... writes:

                              I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
                              seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                                  that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                                  begin with the usual self introduction.

                                  I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                                  Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                                  I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                                  served on staff for several courses in the previous
                                  syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                                  course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                                  or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                                  you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                                  Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                                  Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                                  SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                                  syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                                  evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                                  of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                                  post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                                  material.
                                  If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                                  just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                                  the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                                  Admin Guide:

                                  Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                                  past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                                  Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                                  21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                                  and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                                  (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                                  have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                                  21st Century ticket.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com