Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      It is my understanding that Wood Badge for the 21st Century was
      restricted to new candidates initially, to try to fulfill the BSA desire
      that every Scouter might achieve a course within his or her second year
      in Scouting. In other words, leave room for the new guys.

      I also understand that graduates from previous courses, Cub Scout, Boy
      Scout, Explorer, Walking, Afloat, and all of the rest of the previous
      versions of Wood Badge may now take the current version, provided that
      they give up/agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief, and woggle
      until they earn them again by completing the academic and practical
      parts of the current course.

      Neil Lupton is probably the person best able to amplify on these remarks.

      Dave

      Connie Knie wrote:
      > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other "requirements"
      >

      > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
      > course with certain requirements.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Neil Lupton

      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
        > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
        > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-19 - Buffalo). ...
        > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
        > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
        > my third bead to?

        That's easy ... C-33-19 of course.
        See my reasoning below 8^)

        Kevin
        SR-CS-10 (used to be a Bodacious Buffalo)
        SR-417 (used to be a Buff Buff Buffalo)

        PS I'm a guessin', cause I always just kinda sorta
        assumed they gave ya another set of three when ya
        staff a course.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

          > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
          > when ya staff a course.

          Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
          have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
          your own woggle...

          YiS,
          Sean
          WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
          W4-45-02 Troop Guide
          W4-45-03 Scribe
          W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides
        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            In a message dated 10/3/05 12:35:36 PM, sscott@... writes:

            > Neil,
            >
            > You missed (at least, there are probably more still):
            > Cub Trainer Wood Badge
            > Varsity Wood Badge
            >
            > Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
            > Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
            > of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
            > staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
            > fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
            > case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?
            >
            > YiS,
            > Sean

            You're right, Sean. I also missed Walking Wood Badge and Explorer Wood
            Badge (Crews were, I believe, Daniel Boone, Kit Carson, Davy Crockett
            and Jim Bridger).

            To answer your other questions, as I understand matters:

            Yes
            No
            Yes
            Yes
            You could call yourself a double 4 beader if you wished.

            Or else one could simply call themself Dinizulu and wear as many beads as
            they wishes :)

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              In a message dated 10/3/05 4:44:37 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

              > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter
              > has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other
              > "requirements"
              >

              > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
              > course with certain requirements.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Neil Lupton

              My understanding (could be wrong) is that a participant who took one of the
              "old" Wood Badges must agree to write and work a full 21st Century WB ticket
              and during the period of time that they are working it until they complete their
              ticket, they agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief and woggle from the
              old course. Once they complete the 21st Century WB ticket, they can go
              back into full WB regalia.

              The idea is that if you are going to take the new course, you take the full
              new course including ticket, not just the one week or two weekends. No
              "auditors" for the new course.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • rhowe
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                Neil:

                I concur with your statement on certain requirements.
                I just checked the upcoming years syllabus and it is stated that way .

                Ray Howe
                C-30-05

              • lbthmi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hey, I don't know about getting a whole new set of beads. I guess I will
                  either have some one tell me or have to wait and see. But I really have been a
                  bit more partial to be a Bobwhite than a Buffalo. I heard through the
                  grapevine that I was not made a Bobwhite at my second course purely because I was
                  already one.

                  BTW, our course # for next Spring is C-8-6.
                  ---
                  Leslie

                  In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:56:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  kevinpate@... writes:

                  > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
                  > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
                  > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-98 - Buffalo). ...
                  > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
                  > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
                  > my third bead to?

                  That's easy ... C-33-98 of course.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Oh wow, I'll be able to claim to be a nine beader :)
                    ---
                    Leslie

                    In a message dated 10/3/2005 9:06:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    sscott@... writes:

                    On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

                    > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
                    > when ya staff a course.

                    Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
                    have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
                    your own woggle...

                    YiS,
                    Sean
                    WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
                    W4-45-02 Troop Guide
                    W4-45-03 Scribe
                    W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides

                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                      I, too, have full regalia (beads, necker and woggle) from Cub Trainer WB (NC-C10 Bobwhite) and Boy Scout WB (C-29-99 Antelope.) I am also a 21st Century three-beader beginning with CR-Y2K-X3, one of the pilot courses. I have the original 21st Century necker (tan with green piping), as well as the present one, and several of the woggles.

                      In these parts, you do get a brand new set of beads when you become a three beader, so you don't have to decide which one to add the third bead to.

                      During that pilot course, our SM asked that we remove one of our three beads and replace it with a bead from our replica of the Dinizulu necklace. That's a special one for me and it is still there.

                      Judy Yeager

                    • Judy Yeager
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

                        As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

                        I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

                        This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

                        And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

                        Judy Yeager
                        NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
                        C-29-99 Antelope
                        CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

                      • Judy Yeager

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                            I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
                            re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
                            Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
                            portions of the other programs.

                            Dave

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                              I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who seeks to better thier leadership skills through training........

                              Paul <plamson13642@...> wrote:My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
                              to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
                              it.

                              connie

                            • lbthmi@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                                I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
                                taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
                                the beads" :)

                                When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
                                Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
                                "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

                                I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
                                discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
                                "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
                                knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
                                ---
                                Leslie

                                In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                cknie23100@... writes:

                                I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
                                seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                                    that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                                    begin with the usual self introduction.

                                    I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                                    Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                                    I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                                    served on staff for several courses in the previous
                                    syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                                    course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                                    or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                                    you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                                    Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                                    Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                                    SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                                    syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                                    evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                                    of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                                    post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                                    material.
                                    If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                                    just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                                    the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                                    Admin Guide:

                                    Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                                    past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                                    Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                                    21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                                    and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                                    (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                                    have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                                    21st Century ticket.

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com