Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge revision

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a message dated 10/3/05 11:55:56 AM, asmason@... writes:

      > It is also my understanding that former Wood Badge course participants
      > barred from taking the Wood Badge for the 21st Century courses are now able to
      > sign up  alongside those participants who are taking Wood Badge for the first
      > time.  As a participant at one of the first Wood Badge for the 21st Century
      > courses (NE-II-126 "Religious Observant"), I only wish that I could have an
      > opportunity to take one of the "old" Wood Badge traditional courses as well.
      > Wishful thinking, I know....
      >
      > Yours in Scouter Training,
      >
      > Alan Smason
      > Southeast Louisiana Council
      > Bodacious Bobwhtie Patrol, NE-II-126

      Which "old" one, Alan

      The original one given in England?
      The one originally brought to the US?
      The one given in the US in the '60s and very early '70s
      (Scoutmaster's/Trainer's Wood Badge)
      The one given from 1972-2000 (Leadership Development Wood Badge)

      My somewhat facetious point is that there were these "old" Courses that
      served their purpose well at the time but were phased out as needs of the BSA and
      needs of participants were perceived to change. Some of the complaints that
      I heard about the phasing out of Leadership Development Wood Badge were the
      same complaints that I heard when that course was being phased in much earlier.

      I originally took Scoutmaster's Wood Badge and then staffed several
      Leadership Development Wood Badges and directed one. What you are missing is
      available through other sources.

      You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
      course with certain requirements.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        Neil,

        You missed (at least, there are probably more still):
        Cub Trainer Wood Badge
        Varsity Wood Badge

        Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
        Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
        of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
        staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
        fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
        case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?

        YiS,
        Sean

        On Oct 3, 2005, at 9:03 AM, NeilLup@... wrote:

        > Which "old" one, Alan
      • Kent Wolfe
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          I got this from someone who will be on staff for the Course Director's
          Conference this fall...

          National is releasing a new WB for the 21st Century syllabus this fall.
          Its use will begin with all 2006 courses. I am currently on staff for
          the Course Directors Conference in KC in 2 weeks and this is the
          syllabus we are to be teaching from (although I havent received it yet -
          go figure).

          As I understand it, the major changes come in two areas...

          One of the most significant changes is the removal of the Blanchard
          material. The concepts that are being taught are the same, however the
          copyrighted material is being removed and replaced with original BSA
          material.

          Some of the terminology has been changed to match that developed for the
          new NYLT course. That way adult leaders and youth leaders can understand
          each other by using the same terminology. Example - Forming, Storming,
          Norming, and Performing have been replaced with the wording from NYLT
          (dont recall the exact words - but similar meaning).

          Other than that, the structure and content of the course has remained
          largely unchanged.

          I'll know more once I receive my new syllabus.

          Kent Wolfe
          Scoutmaster, Troop 12
          Vice Chair, Council Training Committee
          Lincoln, NE
          Buffalo, C-14-01
        • Jay Oakman
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
            Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
            of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
            staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
            fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
            case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?

            YiS,
            Sean

            Wow under your scenario I should wear 14 beads, two for BS, two for
            CS, three for BS, three for CS and four for BS, now wouldn't that
            bring out the uniform police?

            But I think Just a plan old 4 beader will do.

            Jay
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              My troop Committee Chairman took woodbadge at Shiff (sp?) Scout
              Reservation, which I believe was the national scout camp at the
              time. He's over 70, so I assume he took the course in the 60's.
              Our prior SM (an eagle scout & ASM under our CC, who was the SM at
              the time) took NJLTC (or whatever was the equivalent) at Shiff -
              also in the 60's.

              Pete Mullaney
              Bobwhite
              NE-II-92

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                I served as a QM on our NYLT courses this summer and didn't delve
                deeply into the syllabus, but I did see "Forming, Storming, Norming
                and Performing" used in some of the presentations I observed.

                Pete Mullaney

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                  There is already a revision to the new WB?

                  Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:At the completion of my course (NE-IV-181), the NE Director for WB, announced that we will be one of the last groups using the 'old' syllabus. A new version of WB for the 21st Century is to be out in July 2006.

                  Ida
                  - I used to be a Beaver

                  ---------------------------------

                  connie

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                    You know it boggles my mind that anyone would "bar" someone from taking the new WB course. I too was told the first year it was available in our Council that I was discouraged from taking the course in order to let in "new" scouters. I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course.
                    Who's idea was it to make this edict?

                    connie

                  • lbthmi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                      I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
                      and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-19 - Buffalo). I joke around and say I am a
                      four-beader :)

                      I only wear one set at a time. I also only wear one necker and woggle at a
                      time too. :)

                      I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century course next Spring. Which
                      set of beads do I add my third bead to?
                      ---
                      Leslie

                      In a message dated 10/3/2005 12:35:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      sscott@... writes:

                      Neil,

                      You missed (at least, there are probably more still):
                      Cub Trainer Wood Badge
                      Varsity Wood Badge

                      Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
                      Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
                      of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
                      staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
                      fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
                      case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?

                      YiS,
                      Sean

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                        My understanding from our WB coordinater that this was only supposed
                        to be in effect for the first 2 yrs. After that anyone could take
                        it.

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie <cknie23100@s...>
                        wrote:
                        > You know it boggles my mind that anyone would "bar" someone from
                        taking the new WB course. I too was told the first year it was
                        available in our Council that I was discouraged from taking the
                        course in order to let in "new" scouters. I took the very last "old"
                        WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course
                        was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past
                        participants taking the course.
                        > Who's idea was it to make this edict?
                        >

                        > connie
                        >
                        > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                          We were told same thing, No more Blanchard material.

                          So now the question is, will National drop the fee each course had
                          to pay to use the material?

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                            Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other "requirements"

                            You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
                            course with certain requirements.

                            Best wishes,

                            Neil Lupton

                            Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

                            ---------------------------------

                            connie

                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                              It is my understanding that Wood Badge for the 21st Century was
                              restricted to new candidates initially, to try to fulfill the BSA desire
                              that every Scouter might achieve a course within his or her second year
                              in Scouting. In other words, leave room for the new guys.

                              I also understand that graduates from previous courses, Cub Scout, Boy
                              Scout, Explorer, Walking, Afloat, and all of the rest of the previous
                              versions of Wood Badge may now take the current version, provided that
                              they give up/agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief, and woggle
                              until they earn them again by completing the academic and practical
                              parts of the current course.

                              Neil Lupton is probably the person best able to amplify on these remarks.

                              Dave

                              Connie Knie wrote:
                              > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other "requirements"
                              >

                              > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
                              > course with certain requirements.
                              >
                              > Best wishes,
                              >
                              > Neil Lupton

                              To reply, click on the address below.

                              245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                              Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                            • Kevin Pate
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
                                > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
                                > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-19 - Buffalo). ...
                                > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
                                > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
                                > my third bead to?

                                That's easy ... C-33-19 of course.
                                See my reasoning below 8^)

                                Kevin
                                SR-CS-10 (used to be a Bodacious Buffalo)
                                SR-417 (used to be a Buff Buff Buffalo)

                                PS I'm a guessin', cause I always just kinda sorta
                                assumed they gave ya another set of three when ya
                                staff a course.

                                __________________________________
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Sean Scott
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                  On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

                                  > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
                                  > when ya staff a course.

                                  Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
                                  have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
                                  your own woggle...

                                  YiS,
                                  Sean
                                  WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
                                  W4-45-02 Troop Guide
                                  W4-45-03 Scribe
                                  W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides
                                • NeilLup@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    In a message dated 10/3/05 12:35:36 PM, sscott@... writes:

                                    > Neil,
                                    >
                                    > You missed (at least, there are probably more still):
                                    > Cub Trainer Wood Badge
                                    > Varsity Wood Badge
                                    >
                                    > Which leads me to wonder aloud: If you went to the (old) BS Leader
                                    > Wood Badge and CS Trainer Wood Badge, did you earn two separate sets
                                    > of beads? (Stands to reason you would.) Do you wear both? If you were
                                    > staff on each of these courses, did you get a third bead for each? A
                                    > fourth bead for being a course director for each? And if that's the
                                    > case, does it make you an eight-beader, or a double-four-beader?
                                    >
                                    > YiS,
                                    > Sean

                                    You're right, Sean. I also missed Walking Wood Badge and Explorer Wood
                                    Badge (Crews were, I believe, Daniel Boone, Kit Carson, Davy Crockett
                                    and Jim Bridger).

                                    To answer your other questions, as I understand matters:

                                    Yes
                                    No
                                    Yes
                                    Yes
                                    You could call yourself a double 4 beader if you wished.

                                    Or else one could simply call themself Dinizulu and wear as many beads as
                                    they wishes :)

                                    Best wishes,

                                    Neil Lupton

                                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      In a message dated 10/3/05 4:44:37 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

                                      > Are the "certain requirements" you are referring to the fact that a scouter
                                      > has to take their position specific training first? Or are there other
                                      > "requirements"
                                      >

                                      > You are correct that previous participants are now eligible to take the
                                      > course with certain requirements.
                                      >
                                      > Best wishes,
                                      >
                                      > Neil Lupton

                                      My understanding (could be wrong) is that a participant who took one of the
                                      "old" Wood Badges must agree to write and work a full 21st Century WB ticket
                                      and during the period of time that they are working it until they complete their
                                      ticket, they agree not to wear their beads, neckerchief and woggle from the
                                      old course. Once they complete the 21st Century WB ticket, they can go
                                      back into full WB regalia.

                                      The idea is that if you are going to take the new course, you take the full
                                      new course including ticket, not just the one week or two weekends. No
                                      "auditors" for the new course.

                                      Best wishes,

                                      Neil Lupton

                                    • rhowe
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                        Neil:

                                        I concur with your statement on certain requirements.
                                        I just checked the upcoming years syllabus and it is stated that way .

                                        Ray Howe
                                        C-30-05

                                      • lbthmi@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                          Hey, I don't know about getting a whole new set of beads. I guess I will
                                          either have some one tell me or have to wait and see. But I really have been a
                                          bit more partial to be a Bobwhite than a Buffalo. I heard through the
                                          grapevine that I was not made a Bobwhite at my second course purely because I was
                                          already one.

                                          BTW, our course # for next Spring is C-8-6.
                                          ---
                                          Leslie

                                          In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:56:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                          kevinpate@... writes:

                                          > I earned my beads in both Cub Scout Trainer Wood
                                          > Badge (EC-CS-19 - Bobwhite)
                                          > and Boy Scout Wood Badge (C-33-98 - Buffalo). ...
                                          > I'm going to be on the staff of a 21st Century
                                          > course next Spring. Which set of beads do I add
                                          > my third bead to?

                                          That's easy ... C-33-98 of course.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                            Oh wow, I'll be able to claim to be a nine beader :)
                                            ---
                                            Leslie

                                            In a message dated 10/3/2005 9:06:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                            sscott@... writes:

                                            On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Kevin Pate wrote:

                                            > I always just kinda sorta assumed they gave ya another set of three
                                            > when ya staff a course.

                                            Kevin is correct. You get a brand new string o'beads. If you don't
                                            have a WB21 neckerchief, you get one of those, too. You have to make
                                            your own woggle...

                                            YiS,
                                            Sean
                                            WM-45-2-00 Buffalo
                                            W4-45-02 Troop Guide
                                            W4-45-03 Scribe
                                            W4-45-04 ASM Troop Guides

                                          • Judy Yeager
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                              I, too, have full regalia (beads, necker and woggle) from Cub Trainer WB (NC-C10 Bobwhite) and Boy Scout WB (C-29-99 Antelope.) I am also a 21st Century three-beader beginning with CR-Y2K-X3, one of the pilot courses. I have the original 21st Century necker (tan with green piping), as well as the present one, and several of the woggles.

                                              In these parts, you do get a brand new set of beads when you become a three beader, so you don't have to decide which one to add the third bead to.

                                              During that pilot course, our SM asked that we remove one of our three beads and replace it with a bead from our replica of the Dinizulu necklace. That's a special one for me and it is still there.

                                              Judy Yeager

                                            • Judy Yeager
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                Connie wrote, "I took the very last "old" WB course and upon hearing how completely different the new course was I did not understand all the balley hoo about not allowing past participants taking the course. Who's idea was it to make this edict?"

                                                As others have answered, this ruling has been a good thing for many councils such as ours. We hold one course per year and it is almost always sold out months in advance with "new" people and there is a waiting list. It would be too bad to turn these folks away if those who already have a WB experience filled up the slots.

                                                I think another reason is that when 21st Century came on line, there was a lot of crabbing from the "old timers" about how they ruined the course, it's not really WB, it just won't work, you can't bond as a patrol if you don't cook EVERY meal for a week, it's wussy woodbadge, etc., etc. That is pretty normal when there is a big change - folks just don't like having their cheese moved! The thinking seemed to be that it would not be a quality experience for the "new" folks if there were those on the course who were determined to move the cheese back.

                                                This is the sixth year of 21st Century and has now been accepted by most as the location where the cheese will stay, so that is probably why that restriction has been lifted.

                                                And, some day, the cheese will move again and the 21st Century alumni will probably decry the removal of "their" course, just as those who have gone ahead did. That's the way we humans are!

                                                Judy Yeager
                                                NC-CS-10 Bobwhite
                                                C-29-99 Antelope
                                                CR-Y2K-X3 and others Staff

                                              • Judy Yeager

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                    I would say that the old Scout Wood Badge folks have a valid point in
                                                    re Cub Wood Badge, as the aims were totally different. With the 21st
                                                    Century course everybody takes the same material, and even experiences
                                                    portions of the other programs.

                                                    Dave

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                                                        I can give you an excellent reason for not allowing people who had already
                                                        taken previous courses to attend the new course - "been there, done that, got
                                                        the beads" :)

                                                        When I took Boy Scout Wood Badge, eight years after I had taken Cub Scout
                                                        Trainer, I had to stand back and allow the others in my Patrol have their
                                                        "experience" because it was a repeat for me.

                                                        I had a friend on the staff at this course and he told me that I was
                                                        discussed a couple of times during Staff meetings because they thought I wasn't
                                                        "getting it". He had to remind them that I had already done this before. They
                                                        knew I "got it" when I turned in a ticket that needed no revisions :)
                                                        ---
                                                        Leslie

                                                        In a message dated 10/4/2005 8:13:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                        cknie23100@... writes:

                                                        I don't think anyone can give me a "good" reason for barring anyone who
                                                        seeks to better their leadership skills through training........

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                                            I am new on this list and have just been lurking. Now
                                                            that I believe that I can make a contribution, let me
                                                            begin with the usual self introduction.

                                                            I am a 35+ year Scouter, father of an Eagle and
                                                            Grandfather of three Scouts - Bear, 2nd Class, Life.

                                                            I am an Eagle from SE-288 in 1979. Since then I have
                                                            served on staff for several courses in the previous
                                                            syllabus and now five times with the 21st Century
                                                            course. I also assisted with one of the Experimental
                                                            or 'Pilot' classes and took Sea Badge at SR-SB-X. If
                                                            you haven't heard it before, "Sea Badge is just like
                                                            Wood Badge - except that it is completely different!"

                                                            Next March I will serve as the Course Director for
                                                            SR766. Yesterday I rec'd a copy of the newly revised
                                                            syllabus, the Admin Guide and the DVD. From just one
                                                            evening's review of these materials I can affirm many
                                                            of the rumored changes. In the coming days I will
                                                            post here the essence of what I get out this newest
                                                            material.
                                                            If you have a specific question that I do not cover,
                                                            just ask. I'll try to help. I'll only report what
                                                            the book says. For instance - from page 1 of the
                                                            Admin Guide:

                                                            Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the
                                                            past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy
                                                            Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the
                                                            21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write
                                                            and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and
                                                            (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until the
                                                            have satisfactorily completed theri Wood Badge of the
                                                            21st Century ticket.

                                                            http://mail.yahoo.com