University of Scouting

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 14, 2005
      Here is an ad for my council's U Of Scouting.

      Pete M.

      Patriots' Path Council University of Scouting<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

      Saturday, October 29, 2005
      Randolph Middle School, 500 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ
      Check-in at 8:00 AM. Opening at 8:30 AM.
      Classes start at 9:00 AM. Closing ceremony at 3:20.

      Here is a link to the registration forms on the council web site, in both
      PDF and Word format.

      http://ppbsa.org/tra/trawb07.htm
      <http://ppbsa.org/tra/trawb07.htm>

      If you register by September 10, you can save with an Early Bird discount
      coupon. Your unit should already have them, or they are available at
      Council Trading Posts and District Roundtables.

      We look forward to seeing you there!
      Bruce Black
      Dean of Students, University of Scouting
      Mary Ruth Lareau

      Chancellor, University of Scouting

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
        I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
        and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
        there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition. I have the video
        supplied by National, and three very good Powerpoint Presentations,
        each based on time constraints. But what I would like to know is
        what you would like to have presented, what you think would be the
        information that you would like to recieve.
        I plan to present the video at this time, and have several
        handouts that I plan to go over. I have prepared listings of the
        Troops, Scoutmasters, and the sponsoring orginization, broken down
        by District, to give to the WEBELOS Den Leaders. I also have some
        questionaires for the WDL's to give to the boys, that prompt them
        and their parents to think of questions to ask of themselves, when
        looking at Troops to join. Handouts as to whom is responsible for
        what to take place for a successful transition to occur. Checklists
        that the WDL's can fill out and turn into the districts, so that we
        can arrange for the Troop sand Packs to talk to one another.
        Is there anything that I have obviously over looked? Any thing
        that you think that I should include to help this important event in
        the WEBELOS transition occur.

        Please reply either here or off line at rdewitt10@...
        Thanke,
        Robert L. DeWitt
        ASM Troop 12
        Chickasaw District
        Georgia Carolina Council
        Augusta, Ga
        I used to be a good Ole Bear SR-691
      • Sandra Martens
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
          if you can encourage regular parents to attend it would be good to do a session on the differences between cub scouting and boy scouting. many parents don't know this, go to the troop meetings, find them disorganized (in their terms, not the troops), and stop bringing their sons.

          when I was with a troop I held a "parents class" just to get the parents on the right page.

          if not in your session- there just wouldn't be time- that would be a great session to have.

          Sandy OWL

          Robert <rdewitt10@...> wrote:
[...]

          Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

        • Thomas Burke
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
            My thoughts, again more to the point of the parents of boys ready to
            transition, is what to look for in a troop: is the patrol method truely
            functioning, is it boy led or with a 42 y/o SPL, what does the troop
            calendar look like, what special activities have they done in the past and
            what are they planning, what does the first year look like for a new scout,
            what sort of equipment does it have (and how old), what does the troop do
            for fund raising, Summer Camp, what will the parent be expected to do?

            these are just a few of my thoughts,

            Tom Burke
          • Teresa P Hall
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
              You've already gotten some great ideas. One thing we emphasize to our
              Webelos leaders AND our troop leadership is that boys are not obligated
              to join any specific troop, and that Webelos leaders should have many
              options available for their Scouts. Web leaders may not really
              understand how very different troops might be, and need to be prepared
              to emphasize to their boys that if they don't like the first troop they
              visit, it doesn't mean they won't like ANY troop they visit! Troops in
              our area vary dramatically in cost, in types of trips taken, in
              fundraising, in how well they integrate parents, in whether the Scouts
              come from one or several schools (or school systems), in attitude of
              older Scouts to younger, in whether patrols are same-age or multi-age,
              and what that means..... and all this can make a difference in fit for a
              boy and his family. It may be as much as the boy has a continuous
              commitment on the night the troop next door meets but will always be
              free when the troop two miles away is scheduled.

              Hope you have a great session!

              Teresa Hall

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hi,
                We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                connie

              • Robert L. DeWitt
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
                  The Uos is on the 12th of November, this year. If you think you can get it
                  here I would be grateful. the address is as follows

                  Robert L. Dewitt
                  2323 Travis Road
                  Augusta, Ga 30906

                  Thanks, Robert

                  _____

                  We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
                  of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
                  believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                  I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                  and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                  there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                  connie

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "scouter_t
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  _____

                    We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
                    of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
                    believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                    I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                    and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                    there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                    connie

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "scouter_t
                    " on the web.

                    .

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    connie

                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 31, 2006
                      Heart of America Council's 2006 University of Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006. This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders.

                      We are offering our usual Pow Wow Book which we have renamed the Cub Scout Resource Book plus a resource book for Boy Scout/Venturing Leaders.

                      If you are in the vicinity of Kansas City the first Saturday in November, come join us. If you can't attend, you can order books (which are available in paper or CD format) if you would like.

                      You can access complete information at

                      www.hoac-bsa.org

                      On the main page click on University of Scouting.

                      Hope we can see all of you in November.

                      Judy Yeager
                      HOAC

                    • Dan Hammond, Sr.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2006
                        "Judy Yeager" kcjscout@... posted in part:

                        "Heart of America Council's 2006 University of
                        Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006.
                        This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include
                        all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and
                        activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders."<snip>

                        Continued; "Hope we can see all of you in November."
                        Judy Yeager
                        HOAC

                        Judy, et al, I hope to be there!

                        Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
                        Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
                        Kaw District Training Chairman,
                        CM P3001, SA T366, NRA Life Member
                        |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
                        I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
                        And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

                        Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Judy Yeager
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                          I am curious about a couple of things:

                          * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                          Scouting and can you share an example?
                          * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                          Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?

                          Thanks for your input.

                          Judy Yeager

                        • Lisa
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                            This is my 12th year. We've never had a UoS, and I think the last Council Pow Wow was at least 3 years ago. = (

                            Lisa
                            Sent from my iPod

                            On May 17, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                            > I am curious about a couple of things:
                            >
                            > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                            > Scouting and can you share an example?
                            > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                            > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                            >
                            > Thanks for your input.
                            >
                            > Judy Yeager

                          • Sandra Martens
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                              we held our first UofS this year.  it had no theme, and was a very low budget event.  We offered 20 cub scout courses over 4 hours in the morning, and 20 boy scout courses over 4 hours in the afternoon.
                              no patch, cost $5.

                              we have not been able to have a successful Pow Wow in many years, stopped doing them in 2002.  this was an option we felt was viable.

                              Sandy OWL

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                Our University of Scouting uses the theme for the following years Cub Scout
                                Summer Camps theme.

                                This past year we had a Western theme because that is what we are using for
                                a theme this summer with our Cub camps.

                                We haven't had Pow Wow in many years.

                                Cheryl Ostrander

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                  Sam Houston Area holds a University of Scouting and Cub Leader Pow Wow
                                  annually.  Each has a theme with is used mostly for promotion, including a
                                  patch.  The course offering for the most part aren't theme centric.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                    <<* How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                    Scouting and can you share an example?
                                    * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                    Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?>>

                                    We hold two semesters of the University of Scouting in fall and spring. There is a General College, a Cub Scout College, a Boy Scout College, a Venturing/Sea Scouting College. Sometimes the College of Commissioner Science is included. This year for the first time there was a Varsity College There is also the Doctoral Studies section. We had over 700 people attend 120 different courses at our spring semester.

                                    The Cub Scout College is also known as Pow Wow.

                                    The packet is still online: http://training.nsbsa.org/uploadedFiles/file/UofS/UofS%20full%20catalog%203_14_11.pdf

                                    This spring's theme was "Scouting Safari" - pith helmets and vests were the order of the day. Last spring was Scouting Science - lab coats, test tubes, etc.

                                    Jamie Niss Dunn
                                    Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                    Troop Committee, Troop 509
                                    Ham Lake, MN
                                    Secretary, Crew 849
                                    Coon Rapids, MN
                                    Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                    Three Rivers District

                                  • pjolds
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                      We held our last Pow Wow in 2005 and were lucky to have 81 people attend. Registration had been even lower the year before. In an attempt to boost attendance, we switched over to University of Scouting in 2006. The strategy worked and with last year's U of S, we had an attendance of about 300.

                                      We do choose a theme, usually matching it to something that is happening either with our local council or with National's annual brand identity (i.e "Prepared. For Life"). The event patch, opening ceremony, etc are all designed to fit in with that theme.

                                      Paula Ball
                                      University of Scouting Chairman
                                      Erie Shores Council

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                      > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                      >
                                      > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                      > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                      > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                      > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for your input.
                                      >
                                      > Judy Yeager

                                    • Corinna Jones
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                        We have an annual UoS without a separate Powwow. It is well received, but
                                        still, there are many familiar faces. It has been around as long as I have
                                        become active, so for at least 8 years.
                                        The Commissioner College is a completely separate event.
                                        There is no special theme.

                                        This year it has been moved from the first Scouting for Food weekend (bag
                                        pass-out) in November to January, to see if that timing allows for more
                                        participants and a smoother Scouting for Food process.

                                        Corinna
                                        Great Lakes Council

                                        > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                        > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                        > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                        > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your input.
                                        >
                                        > Judy Yeager

                                      • A. Dukovic
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                          All, Central Region has Lord Baden-Powell University of Scouting has theirs yearly on the Illinois Wisconsin state line in Camp Lake Wisconsin; go to www.lbpuniv.org for more info.

                                          Our Council does a "training day" which we're in the process of moving to each district for a better turn out.  We also sponsor a day-long computer based on-line training day as well.

                                          - Art

                                        • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                            Golden Empire Council had been doing Pow Wow only up until 5 years ago. I think we were averaging around 150 attendance. We switched to UoS that included Pow Wow and have been bringing in around 600 including staff. No theme. Price is around $20 and includes a patch and catered lunch (sandwich, chips, water and flavor packets for water if you want one.) The first two years we tried farming out the lunch to units as fundraisers with almost disastrous results. This year there was no late registration at the door. I'm not sure how that worked out. Pre-registration on line is required and the classes are closed when they reach capacity. I didn't attend this year, but in previous years they have had vendors and various scout groups with displays at lunch. (Camp promotions, NYLT, WB, retail vendors and scout shop, outdoor groups, etc). It's been held the 3rd Saturday in January at a centrally located high school.

                                            Bruce Johnson

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                              Judy,
                                              The Cherokee Area Council in Chattanooga doesn't have themes for University
                                              of Scouting. The last time we had a Pow Wow was when I was first getting
                                              involved in Scouting as an adult ten or so years ago and was too green to
                                              know what it was. :-)

                                              Robert

                                              On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                              > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                              >
                                              > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                              > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                              > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                              > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for your input.
                                              >
                                              > Judy Yeager

                                            • jomarshall57
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                                For those of you who are interested in learning more about staging a
                                                successful University of Scouting, Philmont is offering a course this
                                                summer. It covers everthing from logistics to themes to marketing to
                                                record-keeping to classes to recruiting and managing staff and faculty.
                                                Participants will return home with a completely customized plan of
                                                action and timeline.

                                                The course is in workshop format, which means you'll learn from each
                                                other as well as from the instructors. The ideas just explode.

                                                The session was offered for the first time last summer, and, as far as I
                                                know, is the only course teaching event preparation for UOS in the
                                                country. If you'd like to learn how to put on a successful event, come
                                                see us. If you'd like to help others develop their own event, come see
                                                us. If you know someone who could benefit from such a course, please
                                                pass the word on.

                                                Of course, any Philmont session also offers a terrific family vacation
                                                in the heart of the New Mexico mountains. Life doesn't get much better.

                                                Course Title: Planning and Conducting a University of Scouting
                                                Offered: Week 10, August 7-13, 2011
                                                Sign up at www.myscouting.org <http://www.myscouting.org/> , and
                                                register under the Event Registration tab.

                                                For more information, and for more classes, go to
                                                www.philmonttrainingcenter.org <http://www.philmonttrainingcenter.org/>
                                                .

                                                We'd love to see you there!
                                                Jo Marshall,
                                                Instructor

                                              • Judy Yeager
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 10, 2011
                                                  If any of you are planning to be in the heart of the USA on Saturday,
                                                  November 5, 2011, you might consider dropping by the Heart of America
                                                  Council University of Scouting. Complete information can be found at

                                                  http://www.hoac-bsa.org/Programs/Training/AdultLeaders/SupplementalTraining/UniversityofScouting.aspx

                                                  Would love to see you there. You might even win a door prize - we give
                                                  away stuff all day long.

                                                  Judy Yeager
                                                  HOAC Training Chair