Fwd: [Everygirlscout] Hurricane Katrina Relief

  • Fort Knox Scouting Community
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Thanks Leigh, this is JUST the kind of thing we were looking for, for our Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Cub scouts and Venture Crews!!

      Visited the site, its got pictures and is very helpful, and in addition to the flood bucket, it looks like the healthy families kit could be useful as well to many in the area. If you get the items donated in your area (that it showed would be provided by whatever that medical company was) to complete the kit, it would have some pretty needed things.

      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:20:07 -0500
      From: "Leigh"
      Subject: Hurricane Katrina Relief

      I just received this email and thought I would pass it on to you guys. Please if you can help, do so....As for someone who has been threw many hurricanes in the last year, I can tell you, any help you can give is great. Also, if you can't give supplies, money to the Red Cross is appreciated too. When I say every little bit helps, I really do mean it. I am looking into seeing if we are able to send clothing to the girls that have lost everything.

      Onto the message I just received.

      This is a cross post.. If troop are interested in assisting in the Relief effort, I would recommend the following project. The UMCOR Relief Supply Emergency Kits. Our troop will be making Flood buckets and will send them to the LA area. We may make the health kit too...
      To find out more try this website...or contact http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/kits.cfm or call SAGER BROWN AT. 1-800-814-8765. Send completed kits to:

      UMCOR Sager Brown Depot,
      P.O. Box 850,
      131 Sager Brown Road,
      Baldwin, LA 70514-0850

      ( yes, i called any they are up and running) or contact your local United methodist church. These supplies enable people to begin the overwhelming job of cleaning up after a flood or hurricane. For flood buckets only, if the requested sized item is not available, go down to the next available size. If nothing is available in the requested or smaller size, put masking tape on the outside of the bucket saying, "This bucket contains no _________."

      5-gallon bucket with resealable lid
      Bleach (two 1-quart or one 82 oz. bottle. Do not include bleach of
      you are shipping the bucket through the US Postal Service, UPS or
      FedEx)
      5 scouring pads
      7 Sponges
      1 scrub brush
      18 cleaning towels (reusable wipes)
      Liquid laundry detergent (two 25 oz. or one 50 oz. bottle)
      1 household cleaner, 12-16 oz. bottle
      Disinfectant dish soap, 16-28 oz. bottle
      50 clothes pins
      Clothes line (two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.)
      5 dust masks
      2 pair latex gloves
      1 pair work gloves
      24-bag roll of heavy-duty trash bags, 33-45 gallon (remove roll from
      box before placing in bucket)
      1 Insect repellant spray, 6-14 oz. can (If aerosol, cans must have
      protective caps. See special requirements below.*)
      1 Air freshener, 8 or 9 oz. can (If aerosol, cans must have
      protective caps. See special requirements below.*)
      *Special requirements: Put all items in the plastic bucket and seal
      lid. Please ensure that all cleansing agents are liquids (not
      powder) and in plastic bottles. All aerosols or flammables: If
      aerosols are included, do not send the bucket by US mail or
      DHL/Airborne freight. Ship by UPS ground, FedEx ground, or truck.
      Pack inside the bucket or strong outer boxes. Put the ORM-D mark on
      the outside of any buckets or boxes containing these items. Get it
      at http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/print/kits/orm-d.cfm. Copy and tape on
      each bucket or box. Boxes cannot exceed 66 lbs. each.

      Tamra Dynes

      Leigh
      Brownie Troop 385
      Northwest Florida

      Come see what we are doing in Girl Scouts
      http://members.cox.net/brownie385 (under construction right this moment)

      Leigh's Designs
      http://members.cox.net/leighp1

      The FKSC,
      P.O. Box 41
      Ft Knox KY 40121-0041
      BLD 4022, Vine Grove Street
      Visit us online at:
      http://www.knoxscouting.org/

      "The goodness of a person and of the society he or she lives in often comes down to very simple things and words found in the Scout Law. Every society depends on trust and loyalty, on courtesy and kindness, on bravery and reverence. These are the values of Scouting, and these are the values of Americans."

      President George W. Bush