Re: [Boy-Scout-Talk] Digest Number 1003

  • Fort Knox Scouting Community
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 8:58 AM
      Hey,

      The Fort Knox Scouting community wants to help too, but we need a little more specific guidance. . . . What exactly can we do to help? Folks around here kicked around the idea of raising money and donating it to the Red Cross. . .kinda indirect assistance... and of course, collecting food - but then you run into how to get it down to the folks sitting on the bridge on I-10 that need it....

      What are the relief efforts of other troops/districts/councils going to look like?

      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:07:32 -0400
      From: dcullum105@...
      Subject: Re: Hurricane Katrina

      Mark,

      I am trying to get in touch with you regarding how we might help. I am the Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner for the Polaris District here in the Houston area (North side of town). We have close to 150 units (Troops, Packs, Crews, Ships, and Varsity Teams) in our district and I know that they will be eager to help.

      If you are still in the Houston area, I would like to personally invite you and your family to be our guests at our Roundtable on Thursday evening, September 1. We typically gather around 7:00 and kick-off our Roundtable at 7:30. I thought this might be a great way to get the message out and make it a little more personal.

      If you are able to pick up this message, please contact me at 281-636-9470. I would love to treat you and your family to dinner before the Roundtable.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Don Cullum

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 9:19 AM
        In a message dated 9/1/2005 11:13:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
        knoxscouting@... writes:

        Folks around here kicked around the idea of raising money and donating it to
        the Red Cross. . .kinda indirect assistance...

        The new Unit Money Earning application specifically says we cannot raise
        money for other organizations (no matter how worthy). However, you could conduct
        an awareness campaign at your Chartered Organization, encouraging people to
        contribute to one or more organizations, along with info on how to do so.

        National has indicated they are checking with affected councils to see what
        those councils may need in the future.

        Pack Trainer
        P. 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1 11:00 AM
          JNDunnMN wrote...

          >> Folks around here kicked around the idea of raising money and
          >> donating it to the Red Cross. . .kinda indirect assistance...
          >
          > The new Unit Money Earning application specifically says we cannot
          > raise money for other organizations (no matter how worthy).
          > However, you could conduct an awareness campaign at your Chartered
          > Organization, encouraging people to contribute to one or more
          > organizations, along with info on how to do so.

          This is a situation I find particularly annoying, as I was listening

          to the news last night, and all these organization _want_ is money.

          There are apparently 2 reasons for this:
          1. Expense of transporting material donations.
          2. The Money itself can buy more there, than the donations they
          would get.

          My son just moved to another state, and when I was helping him move,

          he showed me 2 large boxes of clothes he no longer needed. The are

          all in good condition, and I would love to get them to one of these

          groups. But no one here wants them. They were to be donated to
          "someone".

          > National has indicated they are checking with affected councils to
          > see what those councils may need in the future.

          Uh... Everything??

          If there was a CSC in New Orleans, it's likely under water now.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          District Committee Member at Large
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Sean Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1 11:41 AM
            > JNDunnMN wrote...
            >
            > >> Folks around here kicked around the idea of raising money and
            > >> donating it to the Red Cross. . .kinda indirect assistance...
            > >
            > > The new Unit Money Earning application specifically says we cannot
            > > raise money for other organizations (no matter how worthy).
            > > However, you could conduct an awareness campaign at your Chartered
            > > Organization, encouraging people to contribute to one or more
            > > organizations, along with info on how to do so.

            Chuck responded:
            > This is a situation I find particularly annoying, as I was listening
            > to the news last night, and all these organization _want_ is money.
            >
            > There are apparently 2 reasons for this:
            > 1. Expense of transporting material donations.
            > 2. The Money itself can buy more there, than the donations they
            > would get.

            Yup. You can wire money, and when the Red Cross or Salvation Army
            goes to get food or water, their combined buying power is much
            greater than the typical citizen shopping at Wal-Mart. I guarantee
            it's cheaper to truck in loads of food from a distribution center
            than it is for thousands or millions of Americans to send stuff UPS,
            or take donations of goods to the local RC chapter and have them ship
            it.

            It's a matter of speed and efficiency, the biggest bang for the buck,
            and that's what these folks really need right now.

            If you feel you must do something locally other than collect funds,
            here are some ideas:
            1. Blood is always needed. Donate yours if you can.
            2. Our council is making up flyers for Scouts to pass out to their
            neighbors, informing them about the various organizations they can
            donate to, and emphasizing that cash donations are the best way to
            go. Do the same, and hand them out at the grocery store, the mall,
            around your neighborhood. Inform people, and show them that Scouts
            care and are being Helpful.
            3. Volunteer with one of the relief organizations and help them
            directly.
            4. If you live in the area, open your home to one of the families
            caught up in this tragedy. I can't imagine that living in the
            Astrodome or a Super 8 is that great, and having a room with a bed
            and a meal that didn't come out of a plastic bag would be a welcome
            step towards normalcy, especially for the children.

            > My son just moved to another state, and when I was helping him move,
            > he showed me 2 large boxes of clothes he no longer needed. The are
            > all in good condition, and I would love to get them to one of these
            > groups. But no one here wants them. They were to be donated to
            > "someone".

            What about the local Salvation Army? The items probably won't make it
            to the storm ravaged areas, but there are people in this country who
            go to bed every night without enough food in their bellies or clothes
            on their backs, usually through no fault of their own and not because
            it's their desire. It's easy to forget that there are tens, even
            hundreds of thousands of people in this country that are victims of
            the silent tragedies of poverty or recession or bad luck. It doesn't
            make the news because it happens every day to a few people at a time.
            But it is just as devastating to its victims.

            YiS,
            Sean
          • Alan Smason
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1 11:54 AM
              Actually, I've heard that the Council Services Center may have fared
              better than you might be led to believe. My unofficial feeling is
              that direct assistance should be made by individuals to the Jerry
              Lewis Telethon (goes to the Salvation Army) or to the star-studded
              relief effort being staged by Ellen Degeneres and Morgan Freeman,
              but to do so would violate the BSA regulations. Making donations to
              the United Way probably won't trickle down to the BSA anyway, but
              could well help needy individuals. Besides, if we get serious, the
              council will probably have some tough decisions about its future
              viability given the priorities of survivors in the area. My
              district's big training dates and the roundup for the fall were
              fully ongoing at the time of the storm's impact with the city. At
              least two of the three sites for district training are under water
              at present and the future ability of several of our charter partners
              to continue to offer their facilities (given the fact that they may
              be toxic to the everyone's health after the waters recede) cannot be
              understated.
              On a positive note, it was good to hear from Mark Landry, our
              Council's Training Chair, and to know that he and his family had
              survived the fury of the storm.

              Alan Smason
              Southeast Louisiana Council
              Pontchartrain District Commissioner

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Sean Scott <sscott@a...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > "someone".
              >
              > What about the local Salvation Army? The items probably won't make
              it
              > to the storm ravaged areas, but there are people in this country
              who
              > go to bed every night without enough food in their bellies or
              clothes
              > on their backs, usually through no fault of their own and not
              because
              > it's their desire. It's easy to forget that there are tens, even
              > hundreds of thousands of people in this country that are victims
              of
              > the silent tragedies of poverty or recession or bad luck. It
              doesn't
              > make the news because it happens every day to a few people at a
              time.
              > But it is just as devastating to its victims.

            • Leslie
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2 11:19 AM
                It is not a violation of BSA regulations for an individual to make a
                donation to either of these relief efforts. The BSA just asks that we
                (as units) do not raise funds for other organizations.
                ---
                Leslie