Re: [Scouter_T] Fw: Tracking Training

  • Robert Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
      On 8/6/05, krtodd@... <krtodd@...> wrote:

      > Robert,
      >
      > When your council enters the "info", what are they entering. Are they
      > entering the training you have taken with the dates, or are they just
      > trying to change the Trained code in ScoutNet? ScoutNet uses the person's

      I haven't gotten to that detail yet.

      current position, along with the training entered to determine if a leader
      > is trained for their current position. In the case of Cub Scout Leaders,
      > they must take the Leader Specific training for their position as they
      > move
      > from Tigers to Cub Scouts to Webelos, or shift to the Cubmaster or
      > Committee roles.

      That makes sense.

      A number of districts in our Council have purchased the district management
      > software from Troopmaster Software Inc. to help track what the training
      > needs are in the district, and to prepare the training reports that are
      > turned into our Registrar.

      Someone else mentioned this as well. I haven't pushed very hard because of
      higher priorities, but I'd like to get leader data from ScoutNet and have
      been told something like they can't distribute that stuff electronically
      because of privacy issues. This could have been specific to sending it via
      email, I don't know. How do other volunteers get their leader info?
      Thanks,
      Robert

      --
      Robert Wilson, Pack 3266/Troop 166
      Burks United Methodist Church, Hixson, TN 37343

    • Rick Rambo
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
        Robert,
        This may be a local council issue, as our council regularly makes an excel dump and sends it via email to district training chairs. If they are leery of sending it electronically, perhaps they would send it to you on a CD?

        Rick Rambo
        Training Chair
        Lewis and Clark District
        Cascade Pacific Council
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
          I don't know how others get ScoutNet data, but I usually contact
          one of the people at council and ask them to give me a ScoutNet data
          dump, usually in Excel format, as this imports well to my Access
          databases. If you are using a TSI product like TroopMaster, or
          Automated District Management Software I think that you need to specify
          comma separated or delineated files, as ADMS doesn't seem to like Excel
          formatted files. In any case I either get a disk with the info, or they
          email me the information, much faster and easier too.

          I understand that with Internet rechartering, one can log in to a
          specific site and get all the information about your unit, which you may
          update as required, and then post the data with your changes back to a
          buffer at your council, so they can check it our before they approve the
          data before it goes into ScoutNet.

          Dave

          Robert Wilson wrote:

          > Someone else mentioned this as well. I haven't pushed very hard
          > because of
          > higher priorities, but I'd like to get leader data from ScoutNet and have
          > been told something like they can't distribute that stuff electronically
          > because of privacy issues. This could have been specific to sending it
          > via
          > email, I don't know. How do other volunteers get their leader info?
          > Thanks,
          > Robert
          >
          > --
          > Robert Wilson, Pack 3266/Troop 166
          > Burks United Methodist Church, Hixson, TN 37343
          > http://scouts.burks.org - I used to be an Owl, a good old Owl too.

          > Leader training
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Leader+training&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=hA-FjMgi3t5wbtQRZ6lJYQ>
          > Boy scouts of america
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boy+scouts+of+america&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=kfqfuzRuR403HjJ8OMa2Ag>
          > Scouting
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouting&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=3S43Vtb2rrPpHpNYC_YgcQ>
          >
          > Alaska outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=vipwNdTj6MJRENwB8_kCkQ>
          > Football scouting software
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Football+scouting+software&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=ioKk2VW09RuvmgkDX3Ha9A>
          > Great outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=cOIA93zbsbTwe8BcAUCCow>

          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
            Talk with your District Executive. They should be able to print a
            report that lists all fo the training posted for the leaders in your
            unit.

            YiS,
            Ken

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Robert Wilson <fishnscout@g...>
            wrote:
            > Someone else mentioned this as well. I haven't pushed very hard
            because of
            > higher priorities, but I'd like to get leader data from ScoutNet
            and have
            > been told something like they can't distribute that stuff
            electronically
            > because of privacy issues. This could have been specific to
            sending it via
            > email, I don't know. How do other volunteers get their leader info?
            > Thanks,
            > Robert
          • Dave Loomis
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
              Better yet, ask them to give you a CD or disk with the
              information on it, since it is much easier to bring a file into a
              program than have to retype every word into your database.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
                On 8/11/05, Dave Loomis <dloomis@...> wrote:

                > Better yet, ask them to give you a CD or disk with the
                > information on it, since it is much easier to bring a file into a
                > program than have to retype every word into your database.

                This is what I'd prefer. Entering from a printed version doesn't make sense.
                I've asked for him to send it via email, but he won't do that. I'll ask
                about getting it on a disk.

                Robert