Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Girls can dot it! Den Chiefs

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 9, 2005
      Well, not exactly. Female Venturers can now become Den CHIEFS,
      not den leaders. The den leader job has always been open to women,
      usually mothers of some of the Scouts in the den.

      Dave

      tresroblesman wrote:

      > Hi Judy,
      >
      > Seems like this how this whole thread started, someone posted a
      > message that things had changed about girls being den leaders. A
      > number of scouters did not seem to want to accept that poor man's
      > post and kept trying to tell how his information was wrong. I really
      > got confused about who was correct on the topic.
      >
      > Thanks for clearing the matter up.
      >
      > tresroblesman
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@e...> wrote:
      > > Our Council Professional who oversees Training just called National
      > about this subject. He says that recent changes say that a Den Chief
      > can be a member of a Troop, Team or Crew, and that includes female
      > Crew members. Obviously, all the literature hasn't caught up with
      > this new policy.
      > >
      > > Judy Yeager
      > > HOAC

      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • tresroblesman
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 10, 2005
        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for catching that mistake, I was refering to Den Chiefs - not
        den leaders. You obviously did not get what I thought I ment I said,
        nor did I.

        tresroblesman

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
        > Well, not exactly. Female Venturers can now become Den
        CHIEFS,
        > not den leaders. The den leader job has always been open to women,
        > usually mothers of some of the Scouts in the den.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > tresroblesman wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Judy,
        > >
        > > Seems like this how this whole thread started, someone posted a
        > > message that things had changed about girls being den leaders. A
        > > number of scouters did not seem to want to accept that poor man's
        > > post and kept trying to tell how his information was wrong. I
        really
        > > got confused about who was correct on the topic.
        > >
        > > Thanks for clearing the matter up.
        > >
        > > tresroblesman
        > >
        > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@e...>
        wrote:
        > > > Our Council Professional who oversees Training just called
        National
        > > about this subject. He says that recent changes say that a Den
        Chief
        > > can be a member of a Troop, Team or Crew, and that includes female
        > > Crew members. Obviously, all the literature hasn't caught up with
        > > this new policy.
        > > >
        > > > Judy Yeager
        > > > HOAC
        > > >

        > To reply, click on the address below.
        >
        > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@r...
        > 245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 10, 2005
          Tresroblesman wrote...

          > Thanks for catching that mistake, I was refering to Den Chiefs -
          > not den leaders. You obviously did not get what I thought I ment
          > I said, nor did I.

          My father had a saying.
          "I know you believe that you undertand what you thought I said, but

          I wonder if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

          Still catchy after all these years. ;)

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          District Committee Member at Large
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 12, 2005
            Not to doubt anyones word, but does anyone have some official
            written corrospndance that says this. Our Council people say they
            have never heard of this and since Den Chief is not listed in
            Venturing books they are looking for an official source.

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Rambo" <rickram1@m...> wrote:
            > It has been interesting to follow this thread through. Never
            having been involved with Den Chiefs, or their training, it was just
            interesting. It seems to me that the naysayers of the thought that
            female venturers could possibly be allowed to work with Cub Scouts
            as a Den Chief. I can not help but wonder if these are the same
            people that believe Cubs should only have "Den Mothers" and not Den
            Leaders?

            > Sorry if this ruffles too many feathers, but as we try to teach in
            Wood Badge, "Change Happens" and if you are not willing to deal with
            it in a constructive manor, you will get left behind.

            > Rick Rambo

            http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/<http://www.scoutingthenet.com/>

            t=ms&k=Leader+training&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3
            =Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+o
            utdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=hA-FjMgi3t5wbtQRZ6lJYQ> Boy scouts of
            america<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Boy+scouts+of+america&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+amer
            ica&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=G
            reat+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=kfqfuzRuR403HjJ8OMa2Ag>
            Scouting<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Scouting&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouti
            ng&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors
            &c=6&s=135&.sig=3S43Vtb2rrPpHpNYC_YgcQ>
            > Alaska outdoors<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3
            =Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+o
            utdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=vipwNdTj6MJRENwB8_kCkQ> Football scouting
            software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Football+scouting+software&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of
            +america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software
            &w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=ioKk2VW09RuvmgkDX3Ha9A> Great
            outdoors<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=
            Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+software&w6=Great+ou
            tdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=cOIA93zbsbTwe8BcAUCCow>

            of Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • JNDunnMN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 12, 2005
              In a message dated 8/12/2005 9:12:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
              plamson13642@... writes:

              Our Council people say they
              have never heard of this and since Den Chief is not listed in
              Venturing books they are looking for an official source.

              Actually, I just looked in the Venturing Leader Manual at our Scout Shop,
              and found a reference. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a page reference.

              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              P. 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              3 Rivers District

            • tresroblesman
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 12, 2005
                In an email from Bill Steele, the Associate Director of the Cub Scout
                Division wrote, "Female Venturers may serve as den chiefs." Is that
                adequate?

                Bill also replyed to my inquiry about the definition in the Language
                of Scouting for Webelos den chief which states: Webelos den chief
                A Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or male Venturer who has been appointed
                to help direct the activities of a Webelos den. Bill's response
                was, "The word "male" will be removed with the next printing. Good
                eye."

                Tell your council people a phone call to the Cub Scout Division at
                the national office will verify the correctness of these statements,
                just in case you doubt the accuracy of my post.

                tresroblesman

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <plamson13642@y...> wrote:
                > Not to doubt anyones word, but does anyone have some official
                > written corrospndance that says this. Our Council people say they
                > have never heard of this and since Den Chief is not listed in
                > Venturing books they are looking for an official source.
              • Debbie Beer
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
                  I am confused once again. I have received updated information that says
                  that Venturing Crew members can serve as den chiefs. Are you certain that
                  the information that you have is up to date? Have you checked with National
                  to make certain that Venturing Crew members can not be Den Chiefs?
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
                    I was pointing out with the person responding that their reasoning would
                    ALSO exclude male Venturers, not just females. BOTH are allowed to be
                    Den Chiefs.

                    Jim von Schmacht

                    _____

                    > Nor could male Venturers who didn't have a dual troop registration.
                    Den
                    > Chiefs represent specific troops - they aren't free-lancers. You need
                    > permission/direction from the leadership of the troop in question -
                    the
                    > SPL and Scoutmaster in question.
                    >

                    > Jim von Schmacht
                    >
                    > CM, Pack 506
                    >
                    > ASM, Troop 609
                    >
                    > Skipper, Ship 506
                    >
                    > Loma Prieta District Training Chair
                    >
                    > Loma Prieta Venturing Roundtable Commissioner
                    >
                    > WE3-31-00 Owl
                    >
                    > 5-time WB Staffer
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: ed5870@... [mailto:ed5870@...]
                    > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Girls can dot it! Den Chiefs
                    >

                    > In a message dated 7/21/2005 3:36:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > rpushies@... writes:
                    >
                    > Appointed by the senior patrol
                    > leader with the Scoutmaster's advice and consent.
                    >
                    > With this statement girls can not be because Ventures do not have a
                    SPL
                    > or
                    > Scoutmaster
                    >
                    > Ed Harvey

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Leader training
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Leader+training&w1=Leader+training&
                    w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scou
                    ting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=hA-FjMgi3t5wbtQRZ6lJYQ>

                    Boy scouts of america
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boy+scouts+of+america&w1=Leader+tra
                    ining&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Footbal
                    l+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=kfqfuzRuR403HjJ8OMa
                    2Ag>

                    Scouting
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouting&w1=Leader+training&w2=Boy+
                    scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scouting+so
                    ftware&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=3S43Vtb2rrPpHpNYC_YgcQ>

                    Alaska outdoors
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&
                    w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scou
                    ting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=vipwNdTj6MJRENwB8_kCkQ>

                    Football scouting software
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Football+scouting+software&w1=Leade
                    r+training&w2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Fo
                    otball+scouting+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=ioKk2VW09Ruvmg
                    kDX3Ha9A>

                    Great outdoors
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Leader+training&w
                    2=Boy+scouts+of+america&w3=Scouting&w4=Alaska+outdoors&w5=Football+scout
                    ing+software&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=135&.sig=cOIA93zbsbTwe8BcAUCCow>

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "scouter_t
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

                    _____

                  • Dave Loomis
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Right Rick Got it in one!

                      You're a bit sharper or quicker than me on this one even though I
                      went through that very argument, and also the Female Scoutmasters one as
                      well.

                      ave