Re: [Scouter_T] Den Chief Training

  • Sandra Martens
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 5, 2005
      relax- everything you need to know is in the syllabus. Besides, den leaders often expect the wrong things from a den chief. Read, and you shall know.

      Sandy OWL

      tresroblesman <tresroblesman@...> wrote:
      Help! I have recently been given the responsibility for doing den chief
      training. I have never been a den leader.

      What are the main things a den leader expects a good den chief to do?

      tresroblesman

      Leader training Boy scouts of america Scouting Alaska outdoors Football scouting software Great outdoors

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 5, 2005
        >Keep it fun, keep it active and minimize "bottom time". Den Chiefs
        >are still boys and boys don't do well sitting listening to lectures.

        Actually, Den Chiefs are also girls! See the New Den Chief Handbook and the Venturing Leader Manual. Female Venturers may serve as Den Chiefs.

        YiS,
        Jamie Dunn
        Pack Trainer
        P. 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District

      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 5, 2005
          Help to facilitate the den leader's job, provide another set of
          eyes and hands at the den meeting, help keep the Cubs interested and
          less boisterous at the Pack meeting.

          But, why are you doing this training without the syllabus? BSA
          has a training guide for Den Chief Training, # 34450B - there may be a
          later version out by now, but this is what is in my 2004 Library of
          Literature.

          Dave

          tresroblesman wrote:

          > Help! I have recently been given the responsibility for doing den chief
          > training. I have never been a den leader.
          >
          > What are the main things a den leader expects a good den chief to do?
          >
          > tresroblesman

          To reply, click on the address below.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 5, 2005
            >BSA has a training guide for Den Chief Training, # 34450B - there may be a
            l>later version out by now, but this is what is in my 2004 Library of
            >Literature.

            Actually, I think there is. I'm pretty sure the copy I've got came out early this year. The course is now only four hours long.

            YiS,
            Jamie Dunn
            Pack Trainer
            P. 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Chair
            3 Rivers District

            Dave

            tresroblesman wrote:

            > Help! I have recently been given the responsibility for doing den chief
            > training. I have never been a den leader.
            >
            > What are the main things a den leader expects a good den chief to do?
            >
            > tresroblesman

            To reply, click on the address below.

            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Chad C. Cooper
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 5, 2005
              The one that I purchased this spring is #34450C. Since it is available
              via Supply Division, it falls into the category of not authorized for
              reproduction.

              - Chad
              Troop 293, Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
              Apple Valley, MN

              JNDunnMN@... wrote:

              > >BSA has a training guide for Den Chief Training, # 34450B - there may
              > be a
              > l>later version out by now, but this is what is in my 2004 Library of
              > >Literature.
              >
              > Actually, I think there is. I'm pretty sure the copy I've got came out
              > early this year. The course is now only four hours long.
              >

              > YiS,
              > Jamie Dunn
              > Pack Trainer
              > P. 512
              > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              > Cub Scout Training Chair
              > 3 Rivers District
              >

              > Dave
              >

              > tresroblesman wrote:
              >
              > > Help! I have recently been given the responsibility for doing den chief
              > > training. I have never been a den leader.
              > >
              > > What are the main things a den leader expects a good den chief to do?
              > >
              > > tresroblesman

              > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
              > >
              > > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/

              > --
              > To reply, click on the address below.
              >
              > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
              > 245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
              > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • David J Brown
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 23, 2008
                I have been ask to give Den Chief training. Is there power point
                availible.
              • tomtribble
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 26, 2008
                  Does anyone know if the Den Chief Training syllabus in in electronic
                  form?

                  Tom Tribble
                  Chester County (PA) BSA Training Committee
                • Steven Powell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 26, 2008
                    I sent him a digital copy of the most recent syllabus.got his "Out of
                    Office" reply..he'll get it upon his return.

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 26, 2008
                      can you please send it to me

                      thanx

                    • struax@tidalwave.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                        Better yet can you post it to the files section

                        Scott

                        > can you please send it to me
                        >
                        > thanx
                        >

                        > On 8/26/08, Steven Powell <foxscouter@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I sent him a digital copy of the most recent syllabus.got his "Out of
                        >> Office" reply..he'll get it upon his return.
                        >>
                        >> Steve

                      • Bill LaChance
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                          Could I get a copy also, Steve?

                          Bill LaChance, Cubmaser
                          Pack #151
                          Goergetown, TX

                          > I sent him a digital copy of the most recent syllabus.got his "Out of
                          > Office" reply..he'll get it upon his return.
                          >
                          > Steve

                        • corbms3
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 3, 2009
                            To qualify for the trained patch as a Den Cnief, and as part of the requirement for the Den Chief Service Award, can they do either the classroom Den Cief Training Conference or the on-line Den Chief Fast Start, or both?
                            The requirement current says complete Den Chief Training.
                            incidently, fyi, the training coes for these courses are:

                            Dem Chief Training: C31.
                            Den Chief Fast Start: DCF8.
                            Den Chief Service Award: 610.

                            The Den Chief fast start is accessed on line through scouting.org, through youth, through boy scout, through trainng.

                            The DCFS mirrows the DC Trng Conference, but the DCTC includes practical work, exercises, and hands-on activities.

                            i experimented with one course by having one schou go on line (using a laptop and projector) and doing course in segments, with the TCTC activties, etc., following the on-line segment pertaining to it. Afterwards, we had each Scout, who wanted to stay and do it, go online and do the fast start and print out his certificate.\

                            The boys enjoyed it. It is a great on-on-line course. I commend it to you.

                            Hopefully, BSA will product a DVC version of the classroom course, picking up on the same material in the fast start course.

                            Corb Sarchet
                          • Jamie Niss Dunn
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 3, 2009
                              Since the requirement predates the online Fast Start, I'm pretty sure
                              its the classroom course which is required for the award.

                              Jamie Niss Dunn
                              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                              Troop Committee, Troop 509
                              Ham Lake, MN
                              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                              Three Rivers District
                            • Ben Ward
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 3, 2009
                                No the fast start is just that a fast start to the postion like us adult leaders we also have fast start to get us started however we still have to take the classroom portion of the training. The Den Chiefs will need to take the classroom portation also.

                                Yours in Scouting,

                                Ben Ward

                                Eagle Scout Class 1999
                                Heart of Virginia Council # 602

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
                                  Is the 2004 printing still the current syllabus for Den Chief Training?

                                  Is this a Boy Scout training course or a Cub Scout training course? Can a unit put it on, or does the District/Council have to do it?

                                  Yours In Scouting,
                                  Steve McDanal
                                  Cub Scout Training Chair
                                  Western Shore District, BSA

                                  I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

                                  Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle
                                • Corbin Sarchet
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
                                    There are two courses.

                                    A new Den Chief fast start, which is accessed through scouting.org, e-center
                                    training, and toward the bottom. It is a mirror image of the classroom
                                    course, the Den Chief Training Conference, which adds in practical work and
                                    hands on work.

                                    In our Council, it is conducted by the District Boy Scout training
                                    committee. It is not a course for Cub Scouts or Cub Leaders, although we
                                    encourage Cub Leaders to help instruct or to mentor the course to see what
                                    it is that Den Chiefs do. We do it in our district twice a year, but since
                                    we are part of the Orlando metro area, nearby districts offerings make it
                                    available in the Orlando area about eight times a year.

                                    Note: the classroom version is required for the den chief service award and
                                    for the Den Chief to wear the "trained" strip. To be considered ":trained,"
                                    the Den Chief has to had taken part in his Troop's Troop Leader Training and
                                    the Den Chief Training Conference.

                                    Corb Sarchet

                                    CFC

                                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
                                      I have a 2008 printing. There are some updates (minor).

                                      "Den Chief Training is a meeting of den chief and prospective den chiefs on a council, district or single-pack basis. It is planned and operated by council or distric trainers or adult leaders who are familiar with Cub Scouting."

                                      P. 2 of the syllabus.

                                      Same page refers to the Cubmaster conducting the training.

                                      Also "The training is designed for den chiefs. However, all adult leaders who recuit or work with den chiefs are encouraged to attend with them."

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 26, 2009
                                        I am training Den Chief training at a campout this next week.  Does anyone here have a good presentation for this?  I will have my laptop and would LOVE to have something other than the book to show them.  THANKS SO MUCH

                                      • Trisha E Munsch
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 26, 2009
                                          There's a whole syllabus for this training. The buttonholer idea is a great gathering time game for them, then they get to have something to take with them to play with their cubbies too! Also if there's some type of activity that calls for the boys to give about 6 -8 answers, it's kinda fun to have those answers on a piece of paper inside a balloon, then they have to pop the balloon to read the answer. It'sbeen a long time since I've done this training, but if you have access to any boy scouts that have already been thru it, that is the ideal session - to have it led by boys.

                                          I am training Den Chief training at a campout this next week.  Does anyone here have a good presentation for this?  I will have my laptop and would LOVE to have something other than the book to show them.  THANKS SO MUCH

                                          Reply to sender | Reply to groupMessages in this topic (25)

                                        • Jon Baake
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 27, 2009
                                            Try this link to Den Chief Training links at usscouts.org. http://usscouts.org/googlesearch.asp?cx=000788815416682882412%3A07ksjxxkzyy&cof=FORID%3A11&q=den+chief+training&sa=Search#1054

                                            Jon Baake
                                            NCAC
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 22, 2010
                                              Can anyone tell me how long the Den Chief Conference runs according to
                                              the schedule in the syllabus?

                                              Does anyone know where one could find a copy of the syllabus on the web?

                                              Thanks in advance.

                                              Judy Yeager
                                            • Harrison
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 23, 2010
                                                I have posted a Den Chief Training Folder with the syllabus in it as well as
                                                Word Documents that can be used as resources or handouts put together per
                                                the syllabus from the Den Chief Handbook and other resources. The handouts
                                                can be printed, including a cover, and put together back to back in an order
                                                that might be helpful as a packet for Den Chief participants. Hope this is
                                                helpful.

                                              • Judy Yeager
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 23, 2010
                                                  Thanks!