RE: [Scouter_T] Re: 2 things. . . .

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
      Not sure about the new version, but the 'National' version
      of JLTC (NJLT) was the course given at Philmont.

      Pete M.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
        E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
        > 3 things -
        > There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
        > There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
        > There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
        > (The replacement for JLTC.)
        >
        > Some councils may still be running JLTC.
        > <snip>

        1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
        program)
        2. Some councils run a weekend JLT (local program)
        3. This is the first year of the National Youth Leadership Training -
        NYLT (national program) which replaces the Junior Leader Training
        Conference(JLTC).
        4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
        Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

        Ed Dzierzak
        Course Director, NYLT
        Tri-State Area Council
      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
          In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@... writes:

          > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
          > program)

          There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is available from
          National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the National
          meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Dzierzak
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@m... writes:
            >

            > > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
            > > program)
            > >

            > There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is
            available from
            > National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the
            National
            > meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Neil Lupton

            Sorry -

            I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
            it the old course in a new wrapper?)

            YIS

            Ed Dzierzak
          • Mike Marks
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
              > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
              it the old course in a new wrapper?)

              NEW program.

              Troop Leadership Training (TLT) - available from the National Distribution
              Center, No. 34306A. $6.95

              May not be available at your local Scout shop yet - but it is available from
              National.
            • Michael Brown
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dzierzak" <dzierzak@m...> wrote:
                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
                > E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:

                > 4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
                > Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

                Actually, looking at the 2006 PTC Schedule, it doesn't appear to have
                that name anymore. Its now NAYLE- National Advanced Youth Leader
                Experience.

                The description: The NAYLE is the brand new training experiences for
                youth leaders. It is conducted for older Scouts. Qualifications
                are: First Class rank or higher, 14 years of age by opening day of
                course, but not yet 18, completion of Council JLT or YLT course,
                willingness to become a youth trainer for the local council,
                proficiency in Scouting skills, and meets Philmont's Level A physical
                requirements.

                Michael Brown
              • Mike Marks
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                  Additional description of NAYLE:

                  The National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience is a wilderness-based
                  encounter that will teach and motivate Scouts to follow a life of servant
                  leadership based on the values of the Scout Oath and Law. The advanced
                  leadership and communication skills taught in this course will equip Scouts
                  to return to their councils and troops as fully prepared youth leaders.
                • Gilles Reimer
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                  • Rick Rambo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                      Gilles
                      please look at the bottom of this (and all the other) messages and see instructions to unsubscribe!
                      Hop it wasn't something I said.
                      Rick Rambo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                        Hi Ed,

                        Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                        course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                        comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                        the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                        Leadership Training (NYLT).

                        Module One: Introduction to Troop Leadership (Know)
                        Module Two: How to Do Your Job (Be)
                        Module Three: What is Expected of Me (Do)

                        Each time a Scout is elected to a new leadership position he is
                        expected to go through the Troop Leadership Training for his new
                        position.

                        The syllabus also includes (business card size cards printed on
                        perforated card stock) 6 copies of each of the traditional leadership
                        positions in a troop are provided. The front of the card lists the
                        basic responsibilities for that job.

                        As an example the Instructor card (I picked Instructor because the
                        Position Description is fairly short) states:

                        * Instruct Scouting skills as needed within the troop or patrols.
                        * Prepare well in advance for each teaching assignment.
                        * Set a good example
                        * Wear the Scout uniform correctly.
                        * Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
                        * Show and help develop Scout spirit.

                        As you would expect the last four items are the same for all the
                        leadership positions.

                        The back of the card has a place for the Scout's name, his
                        description of what future success looks like for his troop and a
                        place for him to write his goals to achieve in his new position. His
                        description of what future success looks like is the Vision statement
                        taught in Wood Badge and NYLT. The goals he will write will be
                        expounded upon in NYLT into SMART Goals.

                        Each of the letters in SMART stands for an important test of a goal.
                        Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely

                        Specific
                        A goal needs to be specific. Clear. Understandable. Everyone needs to
                        know exactly what's involved.

                        Measurable
                        You need a way to measure your goal so that you know when you have
                        completed it.

                        Acceptable
                        Everyone involved in completing a goal must accept the goal as
                        something he wants to do.

                        Realistic
                        Goals must be attainable.

                        Timely
                        Completing goals needs to happen within a certain amount of time.

                        So the new Troop Leadership training brings to the Scouts in troop
                        leadership positions the some of the same fundamental concepts of
                        leadership taught both in the NYLT material and Wood Badge. The new
                        TLT provides continuity in terminology and concepts with other more
                        advanced leadership training courses.

                        I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                        write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                        difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                        new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                        many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                        normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                        had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                        or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                        taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                        of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                        distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                        the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                        where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                        complete the vision.

                        It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                        during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                        have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                        understand how visions and goals are different.

                        Yours Truly in Scouting,
                        Rick Pushies
                        805-925-9144

                        > Sorry -
                        >
                        > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                        > it the old course in a new wrapper?)
                        >
                        > YIS
                        >
                        > Ed Dzierzak
                      • T.W. Cook
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                          On 7/21/05, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:
                          > Hi Ed,
                          >
                          > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                          > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                          > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                          > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                          > Leadership Training (NYLT).
                          >
                          > I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                          > write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                          > difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                          > new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                          > many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                          > normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                          > had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                          > or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                          > taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                          > of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                          > distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                          > the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                          > where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                          > complete the vision.
                          >
                          > It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                          > during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                          > have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                          > understand how visions and goals are different.
                          >
                          > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                          > Rick Pushies
                          > 805-925-9144

                          Having just run the new syllabus with our troop, I can confirm that
                          this is difficult to grasp. I think that the course as it stands it
                          too scantily described to succeed - it really needs to explain in more
                          detail what needs to happen. I also miss the situation scenarios from
                          the old course - hokey as they are, at least they give the boys some
                          practical application to think about.

                          While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                          NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.
                          --
                          T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, Texas
                          http://www.troop151.org
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                            In a message dated 7/21/05 10:06:31 AM, twcook@... writes:

                            > While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                            > NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.

                            When this was presented at the National meeting, it was acknowledged that
                            there needed to be more meat. The document was put out in a hurry. There
                            was also a request for individuals who had suggestions on what the meat should
                            be to send that information to the Boy Scouting division.

                            So the opportunity is there.

                            Best wishes,

                            Neil Lupton

                          • Dan Kurtenbach
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                              Haven't seen the new syllabus yet, though we'll be running it this fall. If
                              they have taken the "meat" out of the class, perhaps the expectation is that
                              it will be more than made up for by SPLs, ASPLs, ASMs, and SMs providing
                              weekly check-ups, coaching, and mentoring to help the troop youth leaders
                              learn and do their jobs on an ongoing basis.

                              Dan Kurtenbach
                              Fairfax, VA
                            • Michael Brown
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Pushies" <rpushies@y...> wrote:
                                > Hi Ed,
                                >
                                > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                                > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                                > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                                > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                                > Leadership Training (NYLT).

                                Actually, "Be, Know, Do" came into Scouting thru the OA's National
                                Leadership Seminar. The concept was developed in the US Army's
                                Leadership Training. There are a couple of books that may be of
                                interest:

                                The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual by The Center For Army
                                Leadership, which explains the Army's use of this term. (any well
                                stocked book store should have this in their business section)

                                Be * Know * Do: Leadership the Army Way by Eric K. Shinseki & Richard
                                Cavanagh. Business leadership book which bring the Be/Know/Do concept
                                into the business world.

                                Michael Brown
                              • R Fisher
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                  > When this was presented at the National meeting, it was
                                  > acknowledged that there needed to be more meat. The document was put
                                  out in a
                                  > hurry.

                                  Sour Grapes Alert:

                                  How come it takes them five years to get out a Webelos Outdoor Leader
                                  Course that parallels the Boy Scout Outdoor Leader Course, but they slam
                                  together a Troop Youth Leadership Training course that "needs more meat"
                                  before it will be useful.

                                  I can hardly wait until I have to purchase #######A to get the "updated
                                  version" that actually has some substance.

                                  YiS

                                  Roy Fisher