Re: 2 things. . . .

  • Ken Walker
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14 6:45 AM
      Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
      resources.

      There are a few "leadership/teamwork" tools in the old Woods Wisdom. I
      don't know if there is anything similar in the Troop Planning Resources
      (Vol I-III) that replaced it. I responded to a request for a game called
      "Stranded" in Nov/04. Look in the Files section for:
      File : /Outdoor_Program/stranded.doc

      -Ken

      Peter Mullaney said:
      > 3 things -
      > There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
      > There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
      > There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)

    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14 6:57 AM
        Not sure about the new version, but the 'National' version
        of JLTC (NJLT) was the course given at Philmont.

        Pete M.

        Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
        resources.

      • Dzierzak
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18 11:09 AM
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
          E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
          > 3 things -
          > There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
          > There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
          > There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
          > (The replacement for JLTC.)
          >
          > Some councils may still be running JLTC.
          > <snip>

          1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
          program)
          2. Some councils run a weekend JLT (local program)
          3. This is the first year of the National Youth Leadership Training -
          NYLT (national program) which replaces the Junior Leader Training
          Conference(JLTC).
          4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
          Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

          Ed Dzierzak
          Course Director, NYLT
          Tri-State Area Council
        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18 6:41 PM
            In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@... writes:

            > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
            > program)

            There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is available from
            National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the National
            meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • Dzierzak
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 19 6:31 AM
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@m... writes:
              >

              > > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
              > > program)
              > >

              > There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is
              available from
              > National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the
              National
              > meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Neil Lupton

              Sorry -

              I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
              it the old course in a new wrapper?)

              YIS

              Ed Dzierzak
            • Mike Marks
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 19 7:15 AM
                > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                it the old course in a new wrapper?)

                NEW program.

                Troop Leadership Training (TLT) - available from the National Distribution
                Center, No. 34306A. $6.95

                May not be available at your local Scout shop yet - but it is available from
                National.
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19 8:07 AM
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dzierzak" <dzierzak@m...> wrote:
                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
                  > E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:

                  > 4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
                  > Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

                  Actually, looking at the 2006 PTC Schedule, it doesn't appear to have
                  that name anymore. Its now NAYLE- National Advanced Youth Leader
                  Experience.

                  The description: The NAYLE is the brand new training experiences for
                  youth leaders. It is conducted for older Scouts. Qualifications
                  are: First Class rank or higher, 14 years of age by opening day of
                  course, but not yet 18, completion of Council JLT or YLT course,
                  willingness to become a youth trainer for the local council,
                  proficiency in Scouting skills, and meets Philmont's Level A physical
                  requirements.

                  Michael Brown
                • Mike Marks
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19 9:24 AM
                    Additional description of NAYLE:

                    The National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience is a wilderness-based
                    encounter that will teach and motivate Scouts to follow a life of servant
                    leadership based on the values of the Scout Oath and Law. The advanced
                    leadership and communication skills taught in this course will equip Scouts
                    to return to their councils and troops as fully prepared youth leaders.
                  • Gilles Reimer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19 7:09 PM
                    • Rick Rambo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19 7:16 PM
                        Gilles
                        please look at the bottom of this (and all the other) messages and see instructions to unsubscribe!
                        Hop it wasn't something I said.
                        Rick Rambo
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 21 5:47 AM
                          Hi Ed,

                          Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                          course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                          comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                          the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                          Leadership Training (NYLT).

                          Module One: Introduction to Troop Leadership (Know)
                          Module Two: How to Do Your Job (Be)
                          Module Three: What is Expected of Me (Do)

                          Each time a Scout is elected to a new leadership position he is
                          expected to go through the Troop Leadership Training for his new
                          position.

                          The syllabus also includes (business card size cards printed on
                          perforated card stock) 6 copies of each of the traditional leadership
                          positions in a troop are provided. The front of the card lists the
                          basic responsibilities for that job.

                          As an example the Instructor card (I picked Instructor because the
                          Position Description is fairly short) states:

                          * Instruct Scouting skills as needed within the troop or patrols.
                          * Prepare well in advance for each teaching assignment.
                          * Set a good example
                          * Wear the Scout uniform correctly.
                          * Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
                          * Show and help develop Scout spirit.

                          As you would expect the last four items are the same for all the
                          leadership positions.

                          The back of the card has a place for the Scout's name, his
                          description of what future success looks like for his troop and a
                          place for him to write his goals to achieve in his new position. His
                          description of what future success looks like is the Vision statement
                          taught in Wood Badge and NYLT. The goals he will write will be
                          expounded upon in NYLT into SMART Goals.

                          Each of the letters in SMART stands for an important test of a goal.
                          Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely

                          Specific
                          A goal needs to be specific. Clear. Understandable. Everyone needs to
                          know exactly what's involved.

                          Measurable
                          You need a way to measure your goal so that you know when you have
                          completed it.

                          Acceptable
                          Everyone involved in completing a goal must accept the goal as
                          something he wants to do.

                          Realistic
                          Goals must be attainable.

                          Timely
                          Completing goals needs to happen within a certain amount of time.

                          So the new Troop Leadership training brings to the Scouts in troop
                          leadership positions the some of the same fundamental concepts of
                          leadership taught both in the NYLT material and Wood Badge. The new
                          TLT provides continuity in terminology and concepts with other more
                          advanced leadership training courses.

                          I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                          write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                          difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                          new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                          many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                          normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                          had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                          or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                          taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                          of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                          distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                          the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                          where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                          complete the vision.

                          It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                          during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                          have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                          understand how visions and goals are different.

                          Yours Truly in Scouting,
                          Rick Pushies
                          805-925-9144

                          > Sorry -
                          >
                          > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                          > it the old course in a new wrapper?)
                          >
                          > YIS
                          >
                          > Ed Dzierzak
                        • T.W. Cook
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 21 7:04 AM
                            On 7/21/05, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:
                            > Hi Ed,
                            >
                            > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                            > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                            > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                            > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                            > Leadership Training (NYLT).
                            >
                            > I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                            > write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                            > difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                            > new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                            > many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                            > normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                            > had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                            > or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                            > taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                            > of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                            > distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                            > the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                            > where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                            > complete the vision.
                            >
                            > It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                            > during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                            > have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                            > understand how visions and goals are different.
                            >
                            > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                            > Rick Pushies
                            > 805-925-9144

                            Having just run the new syllabus with our troop, I can confirm that
                            this is difficult to grasp. I think that the course as it stands it
                            too scantily described to succeed - it really needs to explain in more
                            detail what needs to happen. I also miss the situation scenarios from
                            the old course - hokey as they are, at least they give the boys some
                            practical application to think about.

                            While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                            NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.
                            --
                            T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, Texas
                            http://www.troop151.org
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21 7:19 AM
                              In a message dated 7/21/05 10:06:31 AM, twcook@... writes:

                              > While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                              > NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.

                              When this was presented at the National meeting, it was acknowledged that
                              there needed to be more meat. The document was put out in a hurry. There
                              was also a request for individuals who had suggestions on what the meat should
                              be to send that information to the Boy Scouting division.

                              So the opportunity is there.

                              Best wishes,

                              Neil Lupton

                            • Dan Kurtenbach
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 21 7:58 AM
                                Haven't seen the new syllabus yet, though we'll be running it this fall. If
                                they have taken the "meat" out of the class, perhaps the expectation is that
                                it will be more than made up for by SPLs, ASPLs, ASMs, and SMs providing
                                weekly check-ups, coaching, and mentoring to help the troop youth leaders
                                learn and do their jobs on an ongoing basis.

                                Dan Kurtenbach
                                Fairfax, VA
                              • Michael Brown
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 22 8:33 AM
                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Pushies" <rpushies@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Ed,
                                  >
                                  > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                                  > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                                  > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                                  > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                                  > Leadership Training (NYLT).

                                  Actually, "Be, Know, Do" came into Scouting thru the OA's National
                                  Leadership Seminar. The concept was developed in the US Army's
                                  Leadership Training. There are a couple of books that may be of
                                  interest:

                                  The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual by The Center For Army
                                  Leadership, which explains the Army's use of this term. (any well
                                  stocked book store should have this in their business section)

                                  Be * Know * Do: Leadership the Army Way by Eric K. Shinseki & Richard
                                  Cavanagh. Business leadership book which bring the Be/Know/Do concept
                                  into the business world.

                                  Michael Brown
                                • R Fisher
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 22 4:31 PM
                                    > When this was presented at the National meeting, it was
                                    > acknowledged that there needed to be more meat. The document was put
                                    out in a
                                    > hurry.

                                    Sour Grapes Alert:

                                    How come it takes them five years to get out a Webelos Outdoor Leader
                                    Course that parallels the Boy Scout Outdoor Leader Course, but they slam
                                    together a Troop Youth Leadership Training course that "needs more meat"
                                    before it will be useful.

                                    I can hardly wait until I have to purchase #######A to get the "updated
                                    version" that actually has some substance.

                                    YiS

                                    Roy Fisher