RE: [Scouter_T] 2 things. . . .

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
      3 things -
      There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
      There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
      There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
      (The replacement for JLTC.)

      Some councils may still be running JLTC.

      They say the name was changed from 'Junior' to 'Youth' because
      the boys preferred 'Youth'. An informal poll of my council's
      course staff unanimously disagrees with the Junior/Youth change,
      so I don't know who they asked.

      Headed to the Hill on the 21st - duty officer for food services.

      Pete Mullaney

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
        Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
        resources.

        There are a few "leadership/teamwork" tools in the old Woods Wisdom. I
        don't know if there is anything similar in the Troop Planning Resources
        (Vol I-III) that replaced it. I responded to a request for a game called
        "Stranded" in Nov/04. Look in the Files section for:
        File : /Outdoor_Program/stranded.doc

        -Ken

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
          Not sure about the new version, but the 'National' version
          of JLTC (NJLT) was the course given at Philmont.

          Pete M.

          Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
          resources.

        • Dzierzak
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
            E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
            > 3 things -
            > There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
            > There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
            > There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
            > (The replacement for JLTC.)
            >
            > Some councils may still be running JLTC.
            > <snip>

            1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
            program)
            2. Some councils run a weekend JLT (local program)
            3. This is the first year of the National Youth Leadership Training -
            NYLT (national program) which replaces the Junior Leader Training
            Conference(JLTC).
            4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
            Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

            Ed Dzierzak
            Course Director, NYLT
            Tri-State Area Council
          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
              In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@... writes:

              > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
              > program)

              There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is available from
              National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the National
              meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • Dzierzak
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@a... wrote:

                > In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@m... writes:
                >

                > > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
                > > program)
                > >

                > There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is
                available from
                > National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the
                National
                > meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.
                >
                > Best wishes,
                >
                > Neil Lupton

                Sorry -

                I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                it the old course in a new wrapper?)

                YIS

                Ed Dzierzak
              • Mike Marks
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                  > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                  it the old course in a new wrapper?)

                  NEW program.

                  Troop Leadership Training (TLT) - available from the National Distribution
                  Center, No. 34306A. $6.95

                  May not be available at your local Scout shop yet - but it is available from
                  National.
                • Michael Brown
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dzierzak" <dzierzak@m...> wrote:
                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
                    > E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:

                    > 4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
                    > Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

                    Actually, looking at the 2006 PTC Schedule, it doesn't appear to have
                    that name anymore. Its now NAYLE- National Advanced Youth Leader
                    Experience.

                    The description: The NAYLE is the brand new training experiences for
                    youth leaders. It is conducted for older Scouts. Qualifications
                    are: First Class rank or higher, 14 years of age by opening day of
                    course, but not yet 18, completion of Council JLT or YLT course,
                    willingness to become a youth trainer for the local council,
                    proficiency in Scouting skills, and meets Philmont's Level A physical
                    requirements.

                    Michael Brown
                  • Mike Marks
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                      Additional description of NAYLE:

                      The National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience is a wilderness-based
                      encounter that will teach and motivate Scouts to follow a life of servant
                      leadership based on the values of the Scout Oath and Law. The advanced
                      leadership and communication skills taught in this course will equip Scouts
                      to return to their councils and troops as fully prepared youth leaders.
                    • Gilles Reimer
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                      • Rick Rambo
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                          Gilles
                          please look at the bottom of this (and all the other) messages and see instructions to unsubscribe!
                          Hop it wasn't something I said.
                          Rick Rambo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                            Hi Ed,

                            Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                            course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                            comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                            the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                            Leadership Training (NYLT).

                            Module One: Introduction to Troop Leadership (Know)
                            Module Two: How to Do Your Job (Be)
                            Module Three: What is Expected of Me (Do)

                            Each time a Scout is elected to a new leadership position he is
                            expected to go through the Troop Leadership Training for his new
                            position.

                            The syllabus also includes (business card size cards printed on
                            perforated card stock) 6 copies of each of the traditional leadership
                            positions in a troop are provided. The front of the card lists the
                            basic responsibilities for that job.

                            As an example the Instructor card (I picked Instructor because the
                            Position Description is fairly short) states:

                            * Instruct Scouting skills as needed within the troop or patrols.
                            * Prepare well in advance for each teaching assignment.
                            * Set a good example
                            * Wear the Scout uniform correctly.
                            * Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
                            * Show and help develop Scout spirit.

                            As you would expect the last four items are the same for all the
                            leadership positions.

                            The back of the card has a place for the Scout's name, his
                            description of what future success looks like for his troop and a
                            place for him to write his goals to achieve in his new position. His
                            description of what future success looks like is the Vision statement
                            taught in Wood Badge and NYLT. The goals he will write will be
                            expounded upon in NYLT into SMART Goals.

                            Each of the letters in SMART stands for an important test of a goal.
                            Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely

                            Specific
                            A goal needs to be specific. Clear. Understandable. Everyone needs to
                            know exactly what's involved.

                            Measurable
                            You need a way to measure your goal so that you know when you have
                            completed it.

                            Acceptable
                            Everyone involved in completing a goal must accept the goal as
                            something he wants to do.

                            Realistic
                            Goals must be attainable.

                            Timely
                            Completing goals needs to happen within a certain amount of time.

                            So the new Troop Leadership training brings to the Scouts in troop
                            leadership positions the some of the same fundamental concepts of
                            leadership taught both in the NYLT material and Wood Badge. The new
                            TLT provides continuity in terminology and concepts with other more
                            advanced leadership training courses.

                            I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                            write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                            difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                            new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                            many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                            normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                            had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                            or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                            taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                            of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                            distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                            the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                            where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                            complete the vision.

                            It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                            during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                            have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                            understand how visions and goals are different.

                            Yours Truly in Scouting,
                            Rick Pushies
                            805-925-9144

                            > Sorry -
                            >
                            > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                            > it the old course in a new wrapper?)
                            >
                            > YIS
                            >
                            > Ed Dzierzak
                          • T.W. Cook
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                              On 7/21/05, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:
                              > Hi Ed,
                              >
                              > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                              > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                              > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                              > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                              > Leadership Training (NYLT).
                              >
                              > I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                              > write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                              > difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                              > new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                              > many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                              > normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                              > had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                              > or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                              > taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                              > of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                              > distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                              > the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                              > where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                              > complete the vision.
                              >
                              > It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                              > during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                              > have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                              > understand how visions and goals are different.
                              >
                              > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                              > Rick Pushies
                              > 805-925-9144

                              Having just run the new syllabus with our troop, I can confirm that
                              this is difficult to grasp. I think that the course as it stands it
                              too scantily described to succeed - it really needs to explain in more
                              detail what needs to happen. I also miss the situation scenarios from
                              the old course - hokey as they are, at least they give the boys some
                              practical application to think about.

                              While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                              NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.
                              --
                              T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, Texas
                              http://www.troop151.org
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                In a message dated 7/21/05 10:06:31 AM, twcook@... writes:

                                > While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                                > NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.

                                When this was presented at the National meeting, it was acknowledged that
                                there needed to be more meat. The document was put out in a hurry. There
                                was also a request for individuals who had suggestions on what the meat should
                                be to send that information to the Boy Scouting division.

                                So the opportunity is there.

                                Best wishes,

                                Neil Lupton

                              • Dan Kurtenbach
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                  Haven't seen the new syllabus yet, though we'll be running it this fall. If
                                  they have taken the "meat" out of the class, perhaps the expectation is that
                                  it will be more than made up for by SPLs, ASPLs, ASMs, and SMs providing
                                  weekly check-ups, coaching, and mentoring to help the troop youth leaders
                                  learn and do their jobs on an ongoing basis.

                                  Dan Kurtenbach
                                  Fairfax, VA
                                • Michael Brown
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Pushies" <rpushies@y...> wrote:
                                    > Hi Ed,
                                    >
                                    > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                                    > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                                    > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                                    > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                                    > Leadership Training (NYLT).

                                    Actually, "Be, Know, Do" came into Scouting thru the OA's National
                                    Leadership Seminar. The concept was developed in the US Army's
                                    Leadership Training. There are a couple of books that may be of
                                    interest:

                                    The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual by The Center For Army
                                    Leadership, which explains the Army's use of this term. (any well
                                    stocked book store should have this in their business section)

                                    Be * Know * Do: Leadership the Army Way by Eric K. Shinseki & Richard
                                    Cavanagh. Business leadership book which bring the Be/Know/Do concept
                                    into the business world.

                                    Michael Brown
                                  • R Fisher
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                      > When this was presented at the National meeting, it was
                                      > acknowledged that there needed to be more meat. The document was put
                                      out in a
                                      > hurry.

                                      Sour Grapes Alert:

                                      How come it takes them five years to get out a Webelos Outdoor Leader
                                      Course that parallels the Boy Scout Outdoor Leader Course, but they slam
                                      together a Troop Youth Leadership Training course that "needs more meat"
                                      before it will be useful.

                                      I can hardly wait until I have to purchase #######A to get the "updated
                                      version" that actually has some substance.

                                      YiS

                                      Roy Fisher