2 things. . . .

  • knoxscouting
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 13, 2005
      2 things. . .

      1. Leadership & Teamwork - Just checked the files section and the
      links section, looking for any training for scouts on
      leadership...didnt find any. Am I missing it, or am I right in
      thinking there's nothing posted? Anyone have any good sources /
      material on this?

      2. Future Leaders Day Postal Cancellation Available
      As a community service, the Postal Service is offering a special
      cancellation to commemorate Future Leaders Day, held On the Military
      Installation of Fort Knox, home of Cavalry, Armor, and the Gold
      Vault ! Those interested in Boy Scout or Girl Scout Cancellations
      will want this special cancellation, featuring the BSA, GSUSA, CSA
      and Venture Logo, combined inside of the traditional Armor patch used
      by Fort Knox.

      People attending Future Leaders Day may obtain the cancellation
      in person at the special temporary Post Office station established at
      the event site. Those who cannot attend the event, but who wish to
      obtain the cancellation, may submit a mail order request.
      Cancellations are available only for 06 AUG 05, and requests must be
      postmarked no later than 05 SEP 05.

      All requests must include a stamped envelope or postcard bearing
      at least the minimum First-Class Mail postage. Items submitted for
      cancellation may not include postage issued after the date of the
      requested cancellation. Such items will be returned unserviced.
      Customers wishing to obtain a cancellation should affix stamps to any
      envelope or postcard of their choice, address the envelope or
      postcard to themselves or others, insert a card of postcard thickness
      in envelopes for sturdiness, and tuck in the flap. Place the envelope
      or postcard in a larger envelope and address it to:

      Send requests to
      Future Leaders Day
      POSTMASTER
      PO BOX 9998
      FT KNOX KY 40121-9998

      People can also send stamped envelopes and postcards without
      addresses for cancellation, as long as they supply a larger envelope
      with adequate postage and their return address. After applying the
      cancellation, the Postal Service returns the items (with or without
      addresses) under addressed protective cover.

      Willis Madden
      Chair, FKSC
      www.knoxscouting.org
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
        3 things -
        There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
        There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
        There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
        (The replacement for JLTC.)

        Some councils may still be running JLTC.

        They say the name was changed from 'Junior' to 'Youth' because
        the boys preferred 'Youth'. An informal poll of my council's
        course staff unanimously disagrees with the Junior/Youth change,
        so I don't know who they asked.

        Headed to the Hill on the 21st - duty officer for food services.

        Pete Mullaney

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
          Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
          resources.

          There are a few "leadership/teamwork" tools in the old Woods Wisdom. I
          don't know if there is anything similar in the Troop Planning Resources
          (Vol I-III) that replaced it. I responded to a request for a game called
          "Stranded" in Nov/04. Look in the Files section for:
          File : /Outdoor_Program/stranded.doc

          -Ken

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2005
            Not sure about the new version, but the 'National' version
            of JLTC (NJLT) was the course given at Philmont.

            Pete M.

            Troop / Council (& District) / Nat'l Jr(Youth?) Leader Training are good
            resources.

          • Dzierzak
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
              E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
              > 3 things -
              > There is troop JLT (Junior Leader Training).
              > There is/was JLTC (JLT Conference) run by the council.
              > There is/may be YLTC (Youth Leader Training Conference)
              > (The replacement for JLTC.)
              >
              > Some councils may still be running JLTC.
              > <snip>

              1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
              program)
              2. Some councils run a weekend JLT (local program)
              3. This is the first year of the National Youth Leadership Training -
              NYLT (national program) which replaces the Junior Leader Training
              Conference(JLTC).
              4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
              Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

              Ed Dzierzak
              Course Director, NYLT
              Tri-State Area Council
            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 18, 2005
                In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@... writes:

                > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
                > program)

                There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is available from
                National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the National
                meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • Dzierzak
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 7/18/05 2:13:10 PM, dzierzak@m... writes:
                  >

                  > > 1. There still is troop JLT aka Scoutmaster JLT - 1 day (national
                  > > program)
                  > >

                  > There is a new Troop YLT (I forget the exact name) which is
                  available from
                  > National supply. I believe that it was first announced at the
                  National
                  > meeting in May 2005. We had a copy at PTC.
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  >
                  > Neil Lupton

                  Sorry -

                  I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                  it the old course in a new wrapper?)

                  YIS

                  Ed Dzierzak
                • Mike Marks
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                    > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                    it the old course in a new wrapper?)

                    NEW program.

                    Troop Leadership Training (TLT) - available from the National Distribution
                    Center, No. 34306A. $6.95

                    May not be available at your local Scout shop yet - but it is available from
                    National.
                  • Michael Brown
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dzierzak" <dzierzak@m...> wrote:
                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-
                      > E]" <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:

                      > 4. There is still the National Youth Leader Instructor
                      > Camp (NYLIC)- formerly NJLIC - held at Philmont every year.

                      Actually, looking at the 2006 PTC Schedule, it doesn't appear to have
                      that name anymore. Its now NAYLE- National Advanced Youth Leader
                      Experience.

                      The description: The NAYLE is the brand new training experiences for
                      youth leaders. It is conducted for older Scouts. Qualifications
                      are: First Class rank or higher, 14 years of age by opening day of
                      course, but not yet 18, completion of Council JLT or YLT course,
                      willingness to become a youth trainer for the local council,
                      proficiency in Scouting skills, and meets Philmont's Level A physical
                      requirements.

                      Michael Brown
                    • Mike Marks
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                        Additional description of NAYLE:

                        The National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience is a wilderness-based
                        encounter that will teach and motivate Scouts to follow a life of servant
                        leadership based on the values of the Scout Oath and Law. The advanced
                        leadership and communication skills taught in this course will equip Scouts
                        to return to their councils and troops as fully prepared youth leaders.
                      • Gilles Reimer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                        • Rick Rambo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 19, 2005
                            Gilles
                            please look at the bottom of this (and all the other) messages and see instructions to unsubscribe!
                            Hop it wasn't something I said.
                            Rick Rambo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                              Hi Ed,

                              Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                              course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                              comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                              the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                              Leadership Training (NYLT).

                              Module One: Introduction to Troop Leadership (Know)
                              Module Two: How to Do Your Job (Be)
                              Module Three: What is Expected of Me (Do)

                              Each time a Scout is elected to a new leadership position he is
                              expected to go through the Troop Leadership Training for his new
                              position.

                              The syllabus also includes (business card size cards printed on
                              perforated card stock) 6 copies of each of the traditional leadership
                              positions in a troop are provided. The front of the card lists the
                              basic responsibilities for that job.

                              As an example the Instructor card (I picked Instructor because the
                              Position Description is fairly short) states:

                              * Instruct Scouting skills as needed within the troop or patrols.
                              * Prepare well in advance for each teaching assignment.
                              * Set a good example
                              * Wear the Scout uniform correctly.
                              * Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
                              * Show and help develop Scout spirit.

                              As you would expect the last four items are the same for all the
                              leadership positions.

                              The back of the card has a place for the Scout's name, his
                              description of what future success looks like for his troop and a
                              place for him to write his goals to achieve in his new position. His
                              description of what future success looks like is the Vision statement
                              taught in Wood Badge and NYLT. The goals he will write will be
                              expounded upon in NYLT into SMART Goals.

                              Each of the letters in SMART stands for an important test of a goal.
                              Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely

                              Specific
                              A goal needs to be specific. Clear. Understandable. Everyone needs to
                              know exactly what's involved.

                              Measurable
                              You need a way to measure your goal so that you know when you have
                              completed it.

                              Acceptable
                              Everyone involved in completing a goal must accept the goal as
                              something he wants to do.

                              Realistic
                              Goals must be attainable.

                              Timely
                              Completing goals needs to happen within a certain amount of time.

                              So the new Troop Leadership training brings to the Scouts in troop
                              leadership positions the some of the same fundamental concepts of
                              leadership taught both in the NYLT material and Wood Badge. The new
                              TLT provides continuity in terminology and concepts with other more
                              advanced leadership training courses.

                              I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                              write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                              difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                              new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                              many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                              normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                              had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                              or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                              taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                              of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                              distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                              the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                              where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                              complete the vision.

                              It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                              during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                              have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                              understand how visions and goals are different.

                              Yours Truly in Scouting,
                              Rick Pushies
                              805-925-9144

                              > Sorry -
                              >
                              > I didn't realize national had finally updated the Troop YLT. (Or is
                              > it the old course in a new wrapper?)
                              >
                              > YIS
                              >
                              > Ed Dzierzak
                            • T.W. Cook
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                On 7/21/05, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:
                                > Hi Ed,
                                >
                                > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                                > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                                > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                                > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                                > Leadership Training (NYLT).
                                >
                                > I am a little concerned that the new syllabus asks for Scouts to
                                > write what future success looks like, but does not go into the
                                > difference between vision and goals. During my experience with the
                                > new Wood Badge and NYLT, the concept of vision seems to be hard for
                                > many to grasp. When first asked to write a vision statement they
                                > normally write a goal. A vision statement is what President Kennedy
                                > had when he decided to send a man to the moon. That was the big idea
                                > or vision. Visions are big like elephants. You complete visions by
                                > taking small bites called goals. The goals to accomplish the vision
                                > of putting a man on the moon were broken down into a number of
                                > distinct goals, with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions being
                                > the broad goals used to complete the vision. Within each goal is
                                > where the planning is done to achieve the goal and ultimately
                                > complete the vision.
                                >
                                > It will be interesting to see how Scoutmasters deal with this concept
                                > during their implementation of the Troop Leadership Training. If they
                                > have not attended the new Wood Badge, they may not completely
                                > understand how visions and goals are different.
                                >
                                > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                                > Rick Pushies
                                > 805-925-9144

                                Having just run the new syllabus with our troop, I can confirm that
                                this is difficult to grasp. I think that the course as it stands it
                                too scantily described to succeed - it really needs to explain in more
                                detail what needs to happen. I also miss the situation scenarios from
                                the old course - hokey as they are, at least they give the boys some
                                practical application to think about.

                                While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                                NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.
                                --
                                T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, Texas
                                http://www.troop151.org
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                  In a message dated 7/21/05 10:06:31 AM, twcook@... writes:

                                  > While I appreciate the linkage and consistency with Wood Badge and
                                  > NYLT, there needs to be some more meat in this class.

                                  When this was presented at the National meeting, it was acknowledged that
                                  there needed to be more meat. The document was put out in a hurry. There
                                  was also a request for individuals who had suggestions on what the meat should
                                  be to send that information to the Boy Scouting division.

                                  So the opportunity is there.

                                  Best wishes,

                                  Neil Lupton

                                • Dan Kurtenbach
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                    Haven't seen the new syllabus yet, though we'll be running it this fall. If
                                    they have taken the "meat" out of the class, perhaps the expectation is that
                                    it will be more than made up for by SPLs, ASPLs, ASMs, and SMs providing
                                    weekly check-ups, coaching, and mentoring to help the troop youth leaders
                                    learn and do their jobs on an ongoing basis.

                                    Dan Kurtenbach
                                    Fairfax, VA
                                  • Michael Brown
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Pushies" <rpushies@y...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Ed,
                                      >
                                      > Troop Leadership Training (TLT), it is most definitely not the old
                                      > course in a new wrapper. The syllabus is all of 16 pages long and is
                                      > comprised of 3 - one hour long training sessions. The sessions are on
                                      > the "Be, Know and Do" of leadership taught in the new National Youth
                                      > Leadership Training (NYLT).

                                      Actually, "Be, Know, Do" came into Scouting thru the OA's National
                                      Leadership Seminar. The concept was developed in the US Army's
                                      Leadership Training. There are a couple of books that may be of
                                      interest:

                                      The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual by The Center For Army
                                      Leadership, which explains the Army's use of this term. (any well
                                      stocked book store should have this in their business section)

                                      Be * Know * Do: Leadership the Army Way by Eric K. Shinseki & Richard
                                      Cavanagh. Business leadership book which bring the Be/Know/Do concept
                                      into the business world.

                                      Michael Brown
                                    • R Fisher
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                        > When this was presented at the National meeting, it was
                                        > acknowledged that there needed to be more meat. The document was put
                                        out in a
                                        > hurry.

                                        Sour Grapes Alert:

                                        How come it takes them five years to get out a Webelos Outdoor Leader
                                        Course that parallels the Boy Scout Outdoor Leader Course, but they slam
                                        together a Troop Youth Leadership Training course that "needs more meat"
                                        before it will be useful.

                                        I can hardly wait until I have to purchase #######A to get the "updated
                                        version" that actually has some substance.

                                        YiS

                                        Roy Fisher