Re: re new BS training

  • shattuckb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2001
      Gee whiz! You don't want much!

      New Leader Essentials is approximately 1-1/2 - 2 hours with a video. The new
      SM training is 3 sections with about 2-1/2 - 3 hours each. There is a video
      and a PowerPoint presentation although John Alline said we didn't have to use
      it. And since we did it outside, the Friday night PP was ok but Saturday no
      good.

      I posted the AV's for both on Scouts-L and the scouter-t.

      You're right. The syllabus is not available on disk. I'll see if I can copy
      the CD for you. It has Tiger, Cub, Webelos, Boy Scouts and Venture items on
      it.

      Here is the table of contents for New Leader Essentials

      Opening and Introductions

      What Are the Goals I'm Trying to Accomplish?

      How Do Youth Grow and Develop?

      Where Do I Fit In?

      Where Do I get Help?

      Who Pays for Scouting?

      How Do I keep Scouting Safe?

      Your Bridge Into Scouting!

      Here are the 3 parts of the new SM training

      Session #1—Getting Started

      The Role of the Scoutmaster in a Boy—led Troop

      1.    Welcome and Participant Introductions.

      2.    Course Overview.

      3.    Role of a Leader.

      4.    Troop Organization.

      5.    The Troop Meeting.

      6.    Working with Boy Leaders/The Patrol Method.

      7.    Patrol Leaders Council.

      Session #2—Lighting the Fire

      The Outdoor Program and the Advancement Program

      1.    Pre-session group activity.

      2.    The sizzle of the Outdoor Experience.

      3.    The nuts and bolts of the Outdoor Experience. The two sides of a
      Scoutmasters         involvement: Skills and Safety.

      4.    Group Activity. Small groups plan Outdoor Experience outings for
      various        environments and circumstances.

      5.    Reflection issues.

      6.    The advancement program.

      Session #3—Keeping it Going

      Program Planning and Troop Administration

      1.    Pre-session Activity.

      2.    Program Planning—Annual Planning Conference.

      3.    Membership.

      4.    Paperwork.

      5.    Finances.

      6.    Communications.