Re: re new BS training
- Gee whiz! You don't want much!
New Leader Essentials is approximately 1-1/2 - 2 hours with a video. The new
SM training is 3 sections with about 2-1/2 - 3 hours each. There is a video
and a PowerPoint presentation although John Alline said we didn't have to use
it. And since we did it outside, the Friday night PP was ok but Saturday no
I posted the AV's for both on Scouts-L and the scouter-t.
You're right. The syllabus is not available on disk. I'll see if I can copy
the CD for you. It has Tiger, Cub, Webelos, Boy Scouts and Venture items on
Here is the table of contents for New Leader Essentials
Opening and Introductions
What Are the Goals I'm Trying to Accomplish?
How Do Youth Grow and Develop?
Where Do I Fit In?
Where Do I get Help?
Who Pays for Scouting?
How Do I keep Scouting Safe?
Your Bridge Into Scouting!
Here are the 3 parts of the new SM training
Session #1—Getting Started
The Role of the Scoutmaster in a Boy—led Troop
1. Welcome and Participant Introductions.
2. Course Overview.
3. Role of a Leader.
4. Troop Organization.
5. The Troop Meeting.
6. Working with Boy Leaders/The Patrol Method.
7. Patrol Leaders Council.
Session #2—Lighting the Fire
The Outdoor Program and the Advancement Program
1. Pre-session group activity.
2. The sizzle of the Outdoor Experience.
3. The nuts and bolts of the Outdoor Experience. The two sides of a
Scoutmasters involvement: Skills and Safety.
4. Group Activity. Small groups plan Outdoor Experience outings for
various environments and circumstances.
5. Reflection issues.
6. The advancement program.
Session #3—Keeping it Going
Program Planning and Troop Administration
1. Pre-session Activity.
2. Program Planning—Annual Planning Conference.
7. Other Training Opportunities.
8. Summary & Assessment.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]