Fwd: "Huffing", Dust Off, inhalents --- is a killer!

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      I got this from a friend on another list. This is not really
      off topic, as it deals with training and our Scouts.

      She wrote...

      > This was sent to me by a friend and I am passing it on as I
      > believe we should all be aware of this problem--especially those
      > of us with kids prone to impulsive behaviors! Here's a link too
      > which will show you that what is in this email is true.
      > http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp

      This is pretty applicable here, as well. Our Scouts will do crazy
      things like this on occasion, and without thought for the
      consequenses. This is doubly true for those withLDs or ADHD that
      make it difficult for them to be accepted by their peers.

      What she didn't say here is that the Snopes article that she
      provided the link for also links to 3 other articles about inhalant
      abuse, and lists a number of other products that can be used, and
      why most parents -- even the ones knowledgeable about drug abuse
      and abuse prevention, would overlook (or ignore) the signs.

      They mention "Magic Markers", and I would also add dry erase
      markers, because of the chemicals in the ink that make it work also
      give the false "high", which is actually due to oxygen deprivation.

      One last word. In all my trips to Snopes to check out urban
      legends, this one had the strongest wording affirming its veracity
      that I have ever seen them use. That is "this one, unfortunately,
      checks out in every respect". Usually, there will be some minor
      changes and embellishments to a true story to make it even better.
      Apparently not here.

      One last point. If you're ever using a cleaning product, furniture
      polish, or something of that nature including paint, and begin to
      feel "light headed", that's a good indication that you're getting
      too much of the stuff and need to literally "take a breather".

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      -- Stephen R. Covey