Re: Council Specific Policies

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
      What you are talking about are Temporary patches. There is a
      specified location in the insignia guide, the right pocket, for
      these to go. A Scout may wear any patch in that location. It does
      not have to be a BSA or Council patch. For example, if Kings
      Dominion Park had a special patch for a Scout Day (not run by the
      local council), then my son could put that patch there. I hang my
      Alpha Phi Omega patch from my right pocket at times.

      What the previous poster was talking about was a council exec having
      their Scout Shop tell parents to place a temporary patch in the
      location reserve for a Jamboree patch. Councils don't have latitude
      to do this.

      Having been a leader in 5 different Councils, I have experienced a
      variety of local customs, for example wearing the Toten' Chip patch
      on the right pocket flap, instead of the bottom of the right pocket
      where it was designed for. We have had confusion over the years
      about the term of Youth Protection Training. I have always taught
      by the book.

      If our Council were to gie me a handout with more stringent
      guidelines one a particular policy, I would present those as Council
      specific guidelines. I would expect those to be distributed to
      trainers through the council training committee, to be posted on our
      Council web site, and given to units annually on the program launch
      CD. In our case, we do not have any council specific guidelines.
      It is too challenging, as we have more registered adults than any
      other council in the country.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken

    • don-wilson@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
        Indeed, councils are able to produce event patches. In every case,
        however, these event patches are "temporary" patches and are to be
        worn on the right pocket. Only one "temporary" patch should be worn
        at one time. Ever notice how any Scouts and Scouters wear the
        Philmont patch in this position?

        With respect to National Jamboree patches, council shoulder patches
        are designed under specific guidelines. They can and do represent
        the Council and are authorize for wear after the Jamboree. In this
        situation only, two Jambo patches may be worn at the same time, one
        above the pocket as directed in Jamboree rules, and on on the pocket.
        Troop numbers for Jamboree Scouts are assigned by National, and each
        delegate is required to wear that specific number for recognition
        during Jambo. They should not replace the home unit number.

        "Clause 11: SPECIAL LOCAL BADGES AND INSIGNIA

        Local councils are authorized to adopt special badges and insignia
        as awards for particular purposes in harmony with national policies
        and to permit their use upon the official uniform in accordance with
        the Rules and Regulations of the Corporation, bur such awards must be
        approved as to purpose and design by the Corporation in advance."

        Where the "bending" occurs is that these special badges and insignia
        generally are approved by a professional scout within the council.
        In some cases, even that step is skipped.

        Don Wilson
        427, Old Hickory Council
      • don-wilson@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
          Under SCOUTING IDENTIFICATION the rules state that:

          "It is mandatory that all badges worn on BSA uniforms contain
          identification including ONE of the following:

          Corporate name (Boy Scouts of America)

          Corporate initials (BSA)

          BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with Eagle or plain one-color)

          Venturing, BSA; Venturing

          This means that all council approved Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
          Scout, and Venturing badges also must bear a BSA identification to
          protect them, and that these BSA cloth badges must be APPROVED BY THE
          NATIONAL OFFICE."

          (NOTE: capital letters used in place of bold in the manual)

          Don Wilson
          427, Old Hickory Council