Re: [Scouter_T] Council Specific Policies

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
      While I do not doubt that this is verbatim from National's rule
      book, councils do have some latitude here or else they could not produce
      and award participation patches for various council events, such as
      camporees, or Jamboree Council and Troop Number, for their Jamboree
      Scouts. Notut they only do these patches contain either the initials,
      BSA, or the BSA Logo (one is mandatory for patches worn on the uniform),
      but they are designed to be worn on the Scout Uniform, so councils must
      be able to bend these rules a bit.

      Dave

      don-wilson@... wrote:

      > INSIGNIA GUIDE, 2003-2005 - #33066D
      >
      > Excerpt form the Rules and Regulations
      >
      > INSIGNIA, UNIFORMS, AND BADGES
      >
      > Article X, Section 4
      >
      > ALTERATION OF BADGES AND INSIGNIA
      >
      > Clause 10. No alternation of, or additions to, the official badges
      > and insignia or in the rules and regulations governing their use or
      > their location upon the uniform may be authorized by any Scouting
      > official, local council, local executive board, or committee except
      > the national Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America and
      > committees specifically authorized thereof.
      >
      > Don Wilson
      > 427, Old Hickory Council

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
        What you are talking about are Temporary patches. There is a
        specified location in the insignia guide, the right pocket, for
        these to go. A Scout may wear any patch in that location. It does
        not have to be a BSA or Council patch. For example, if Kings
        Dominion Park had a special patch for a Scout Day (not run by the
        local council), then my son could put that patch there. I hang my
        Alpha Phi Omega patch from my right pocket at times.

        What the previous poster was talking about was a council exec having
        their Scout Shop tell parents to place a temporary patch in the
        location reserve for a Jamboree patch. Councils don't have latitude
        to do this.

        Having been a leader in 5 different Councils, I have experienced a
        variety of local customs, for example wearing the Toten' Chip patch
        on the right pocket flap, instead of the bottom of the right pocket
        where it was designed for. We have had confusion over the years
        about the term of Youth Protection Training. I have always taught
        by the book.

        If our Council were to gie me a handout with more stringent
        guidelines one a particular policy, I would present those as Council
        specific guidelines. I would expect those to be distributed to
        trainers through the council training committee, to be posted on our
        Council web site, and given to units annually on the program launch
        CD. In our case, we do not have any council specific guidelines.
        It is too challenging, as we have more registered adults than any
        other council in the country.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken

      • don-wilson@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
          Indeed, councils are able to produce event patches. In every case,
          however, these event patches are "temporary" patches and are to be
          worn on the right pocket. Only one "temporary" patch should be worn
          at one time. Ever notice how any Scouts and Scouters wear the
          Philmont patch in this position?

          With respect to National Jamboree patches, council shoulder patches
          are designed under specific guidelines. They can and do represent
          the Council and are authorize for wear after the Jamboree. In this
          situation only, two Jambo patches may be worn at the same time, one
          above the pocket as directed in Jamboree rules, and on on the pocket.
          Troop numbers for Jamboree Scouts are assigned by National, and each
          delegate is required to wear that specific number for recognition
          during Jambo. They should not replace the home unit number.

          "Clause 11: SPECIAL LOCAL BADGES AND INSIGNIA

          Local councils are authorized to adopt special badges and insignia
          as awards for particular purposes in harmony with national policies
          and to permit their use upon the official uniform in accordance with
          the Rules and Regulations of the Corporation, bur such awards must be
          approved as to purpose and design by the Corporation in advance."

          Where the "bending" occurs is that these special badges and insignia
          generally are approved by a professional scout within the council.
          In some cases, even that step is skipped.

          Don Wilson
          427, Old Hickory Council
        • don-wilson@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
            Under SCOUTING IDENTIFICATION the rules state that:

            "It is mandatory that all badges worn on BSA uniforms contain
            identification including ONE of the following:

            Corporate name (Boy Scouts of America)

            Corporate initials (BSA)

            BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with Eagle or plain one-color)

            Venturing, BSA; Venturing

            This means that all council approved Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
            Scout, and Venturing badges also must bear a BSA identification to
            protect them, and that these BSA cloth badges must be APPROVED BY THE
            NATIONAL OFFICE."

            (NOTE: capital letters used in place of bold in the manual)

            Don Wilson
            427, Old Hickory Council