Re: [Scouter_T] Council Specific Policies

  • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
      Chad C. Cooper wrote and asked:
      >After tripping on an unwritten rule....

      > After being given a "why didn't you know" speech by my District Training
      Chair,
      > she couldn't point me to a source of where this was is writing.

      >How do your councils communicate these types of things?

      Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes, your training chair also contributes to BSA's
      unwritten lore, myths, legends and history!! LOL.

      Here's what this hard headed Scout Trainer would do in your situation.
      I'd tell the training chair:
      1) Thanks for the feedback on the "unwritten rule"
      2) Councils don't have this authority from BSA National Council.
      3) Until I see something different from the National Council, I will
      continue to train according to the Insignia Guide (and help debunk the
      myths about the WCA patch location!)

      Hang in there Chad. Remember, we can do it the right way and not make
      enemies (if way don't antagonize those who should be "in the know"). Good
      luck!!

      -Ken
      T-259, Plano, TX
      ...and a few other things
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
        While I do not doubt that this is verbatim from National's rule
        book, councils do have some latitude here or else they could not produce
        and award participation patches for various council events, such as
        camporees, or Jamboree Council and Troop Number, for their Jamboree
        Scouts. Notut they only do these patches contain either the initials,
        BSA, or the BSA Logo (one is mandatory for patches worn on the uniform),
        but they are designed to be worn on the Scout Uniform, so councils must
        be able to bend these rules a bit.

        Dave

        don-wilson@... wrote:

        > INSIGNIA GUIDE, 2003-2005 - #33066D
        >
        > Excerpt form the Rules and Regulations
        >
        > INSIGNIA, UNIFORMS, AND BADGES
        >
        > Article X, Section 4
        >
        > ALTERATION OF BADGES AND INSIGNIA
        >
        > Clause 10. No alternation of, or additions to, the official badges
        > and insignia or in the rules and regulations governing their use or
        > their location upon the uniform may be authorized by any Scouting
        > official, local council, local executive board, or committee except
        > the national Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America and
        > committees specifically authorized thereof.
        >
        > Don Wilson
        > 427, Old Hickory Council

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
          What you are talking about are Temporary patches. There is a
          specified location in the insignia guide, the right pocket, for
          these to go. A Scout may wear any patch in that location. It does
          not have to be a BSA or Council patch. For example, if Kings
          Dominion Park had a special patch for a Scout Day (not run by the
          local council), then my son could put that patch there. I hang my
          Alpha Phi Omega patch from my right pocket at times.

          What the previous poster was talking about was a council exec having
          their Scout Shop tell parents to place a temporary patch in the
          location reserve for a Jamboree patch. Councils don't have latitude
          to do this.

          Having been a leader in 5 different Councils, I have experienced a
          variety of local customs, for example wearing the Toten' Chip patch
          on the right pocket flap, instead of the bottom of the right pocket
          where it was designed for. We have had confusion over the years
          about the term of Youth Protection Training. I have always taught
          by the book.

          If our Council were to gie me a handout with more stringent
          guidelines one a particular policy, I would present those as Council
          specific guidelines. I would expect those to be distributed to
          trainers through the council training committee, to be posted on our
          Council web site, and given to units annually on the program launch
          CD. In our case, we do not have any council specific guidelines.
          It is too challenging, as we have more registered adults than any
          other council in the country.

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken

        • don-wilson@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
            Indeed, councils are able to produce event patches. In every case,
            however, these event patches are "temporary" patches and are to be
            worn on the right pocket. Only one "temporary" patch should be worn
            at one time. Ever notice how any Scouts and Scouters wear the
            Philmont patch in this position?

            With respect to National Jamboree patches, council shoulder patches
            are designed under specific guidelines. They can and do represent
            the Council and are authorize for wear after the Jamboree. In this
            situation only, two Jambo patches may be worn at the same time, one
            above the pocket as directed in Jamboree rules, and on on the pocket.
            Troop numbers for Jamboree Scouts are assigned by National, and each
            delegate is required to wear that specific number for recognition
            during Jambo. They should not replace the home unit number.

            "Clause 11: SPECIAL LOCAL BADGES AND INSIGNIA

            Local councils are authorized to adopt special badges and insignia
            as awards for particular purposes in harmony with national policies
            and to permit their use upon the official uniform in accordance with
            the Rules and Regulations of the Corporation, bur such awards must be
            approved as to purpose and design by the Corporation in advance."

            Where the "bending" occurs is that these special badges and insignia
            generally are approved by a professional scout within the council.
            In some cases, even that step is skipped.

            Don Wilson
            427, Old Hickory Council
          • don-wilson@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
              Under SCOUTING IDENTIFICATION the rules state that:

              "It is mandatory that all badges worn on BSA uniforms contain
              identification including ONE of the following:

              Corporate name (Boy Scouts of America)

              Corporate initials (BSA)

              BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with Eagle or plain one-color)

              Venturing, BSA; Venturing

              This means that all council approved Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
              Scout, and Venturing badges also must bear a BSA identification to
              protect them, and that these BSA cloth badges must be APPROVED BY THE
              NATIONAL OFFICE."

              (NOTE: capital letters used in place of bold in the manual)

              Don Wilson
              427, Old Hickory Council