Re: [Scouter_T] Council Specific Policies

  • don-wilson@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
      INSIGNIA GUIDE, 2003-2005 - #33066D

      Excerpt form the Rules and Regulations

      INSIGNIA, UNIFORMS, AND BADGES

      Article X, Section 4

      ALTERATION OF BADGES AND INSIGNIA

      Clause 10. No alternation of, or additions to, the official badges
      and insignia or in the rules and regulations governing their use or
      their location upon the uniform may be authorized by any Scouting
      official, local council, local executive board, or committee except
      the national Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America and
      committees specifically authorized thereof.

      Don Wilson
      427, Old Hickory Council
    • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
        Chad C. Cooper wrote and asked:
        >After tripping on an unwritten rule....

        > After being given a "why didn't you know" speech by my District Training
        Chair,
        > she couldn't point me to a source of where this was is writing.

        >How do your councils communicate these types of things?

        Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes, your training chair also contributes to BSA's
        unwritten lore, myths, legends and history!! LOL.

        Here's what this hard headed Scout Trainer would do in your situation.
        I'd tell the training chair:
        1) Thanks for the feedback on the "unwritten rule"
        2) Councils don't have this authority from BSA National Council.
        3) Until I see something different from the National Council, I will
        continue to train according to the Insignia Guide (and help debunk the
        myths about the WCA patch location!)

        Hang in there Chad. Remember, we can do it the right way and not make
        enemies (if way don't antagonize those who should be "in the know"). Good
        luck!!

        -Ken
        T-259, Plano, TX
        ...and a few other things
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
          While I do not doubt that this is verbatim from National's rule
          book, councils do have some latitude here or else they could not produce
          and award participation patches for various council events, such as
          camporees, or Jamboree Council and Troop Number, for their Jamboree
          Scouts. Notut they only do these patches contain either the initials,
          BSA, or the BSA Logo (one is mandatory for patches worn on the uniform),
          but they are designed to be worn on the Scout Uniform, so councils must
          be able to bend these rules a bit.

          Dave

          don-wilson@... wrote:

          > INSIGNIA GUIDE, 2003-2005 - #33066D
          >
          > Excerpt form the Rules and Regulations
          >
          > INSIGNIA, UNIFORMS, AND BADGES
          >
          > Article X, Section 4
          >
          > ALTERATION OF BADGES AND INSIGNIA
          >
          > Clause 10. No alternation of, or additions to, the official badges
          > and insignia or in the rules and regulations governing their use or
          > their location upon the uniform may be authorized by any Scouting
          > official, local council, local executive board, or committee except
          > the national Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America and
          > committees specifically authorized thereof.
          >
          > Don Wilson
          > 427, Old Hickory Council

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
            What you are talking about are Temporary patches. There is a
            specified location in the insignia guide, the right pocket, for
            these to go. A Scout may wear any patch in that location. It does
            not have to be a BSA or Council patch. For example, if Kings
            Dominion Park had a special patch for a Scout Day (not run by the
            local council), then my son could put that patch there. I hang my
            Alpha Phi Omega patch from my right pocket at times.

            What the previous poster was talking about was a council exec having
            their Scout Shop tell parents to place a temporary patch in the
            location reserve for a Jamboree patch. Councils don't have latitude
            to do this.

            Having been a leader in 5 different Councils, I have experienced a
            variety of local customs, for example wearing the Toten' Chip patch
            on the right pocket flap, instead of the bottom of the right pocket
            where it was designed for. We have had confusion over the years
            about the term of Youth Protection Training. I have always taught
            by the book.

            If our Council were to gie me a handout with more stringent
            guidelines one a particular policy, I would present those as Council
            specific guidelines. I would expect those to be distributed to
            trainers through the council training committee, to be posted on our
            Council web site, and given to units annually on the program launch
            CD. In our case, we do not have any council specific guidelines.
            It is too challenging, as we have more registered adults than any
            other council in the country.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Ken

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
              Indeed, councils are able to produce event patches. In every case,
              however, these event patches are "temporary" patches and are to be
              worn on the right pocket. Only one "temporary" patch should be worn
              at one time. Ever notice how any Scouts and Scouters wear the
              Philmont patch in this position?

              With respect to National Jamboree patches, council shoulder patches
              are designed under specific guidelines. They can and do represent
              the Council and are authorize for wear after the Jamboree. In this
              situation only, two Jambo patches may be worn at the same time, one
              above the pocket as directed in Jamboree rules, and on on the pocket.
              Troop numbers for Jamboree Scouts are assigned by National, and each
              delegate is required to wear that specific number for recognition
              during Jambo. They should not replace the home unit number.

              "Clause 11: SPECIAL LOCAL BADGES AND INSIGNIA

              Local councils are authorized to adopt special badges and insignia
              as awards for particular purposes in harmony with national policies
              and to permit their use upon the official uniform in accordance with
              the Rules and Regulations of the Corporation, bur such awards must be
              approved as to purpose and design by the Corporation in advance."

              Where the "bending" occurs is that these special badges and insignia
              generally are approved by a professional scout within the council.
              In some cases, even that step is skipped.

              Don Wilson
              427, Old Hickory Council
            • don-wilson@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
                Under SCOUTING IDENTIFICATION the rules state that:

                "It is mandatory that all badges worn on BSA uniforms contain
                identification including ONE of the following:

                Corporate name (Boy Scouts of America)

                Corporate initials (BSA)

                BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with Eagle or plain one-color)

                Venturing, BSA; Venturing

                This means that all council approved Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                Scout, and Venturing badges also must bear a BSA identification to
                protect them, and that these BSA cloth badges must be APPROVED BY THE
                NATIONAL OFFICE."

                (NOTE: capital letters used in place of bold in the manual)

                Don Wilson
                427, Old Hickory Council