RE: [Scouter_T] Re: National Meeting

  • Teresa P Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
      It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
      that one a whirl.

      Teresa Hall

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
        I'm sorry, but # 33640 is the stock number for the Boy Scout
        Intriduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, IOLS.

        Dave

        Teresa P Hall wrote:

        > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
        > that one a whirl.
        >
        > Teresa Hall

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
      • Teresa P Hall
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
          Well, darn. Thanks. I haven't been able to get a call through to
          National Supply yet, keep getting bounced to voice mail, but will try
          again this week. - Teresa

          Teresa P Hall wrote:

          > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005:
          No.13-33640. Give
          > that one a whirl.
          >
          > Teresa Hall

        • bill smith
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
            I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
            Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
            with any list members there.

            One of the session I will attend is the President's
            Challenge. Here is the blurb on in it:

            The President's Challenge

            The national president of the Boy Scouts of America has declared an
            "open season" on all untrained Cub Scout Leaders. Every boy deserves a
            trained leader, so come and find out what the latest research is telling
            us and what new materials and approaches are available to help local
            councils improve their retention of Cub Scouts by increasing the
            percentage of trained leaders.

            These sessions vary greatly in quality from
            very good to ho-hum. But anyway I would love to
            get ideas from both new leaders and old trainers
            and anyone in between on what I should look for and
            what questions to ask.

            bill smith
            cncl. rep. from
            Cascade Pacific Council
            Portland, OR.

          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
              In a message dated 4/3/07 5:55:24 PM, wts@... writes:

              > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
              > Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
              > with any list members there.

              Hello Bill,

              I hope to be there.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • Kevin Pate
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
                > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA

                Alas, being there is not in my plans.

                Not expecting to see it in 07, or even 08, but it sure
                could be interesting, as an expansion of the digital
                headway BSA seems to be making, if annual meeting
                presentations were to be captured, burned to DVD and
                distributed out to councils.

                Kevin in Norman, America
                who more than kinda sorta wishes he could get
                back to Atlanta for a visit, annual meeting or
                no.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                  How does one get information on the National Meeting

                • Gerry Moon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Are y'all talking about "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders"?
                    If so, it's bin item 13-33640 from 2005 and I've had it well over a
                    year. Or are you refencing something that has has gone thru either a
                    revision or a whole new iteration? OWL predates my "old" syllabus
                    which is "WOLT" - Webelos Outdoor Leader Training - and, IMHO, WOLT is
                    a better course than OLSWL. OLSWL works, however - I just taught it
                    about a month ago and everything went quite OK.

                    Gerry Moon
                    Orlando, FL

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:

                    > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus at
                    the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend? Can this be
                    confirmed?

                    > Ida

                  • bill smith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Kevin,
                      that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
                      provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

                      Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
                      with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

                      bill

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                        In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

                        > How does one get information on the National Meeting

                        Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

                        Best wishes,

                        Neil Lupton

                      • Don Wilson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
                          had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
                          50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
                          gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
                          was not prepared.

                          We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
                          meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
                          "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
                          that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
                          than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
                          High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
                          the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
                          Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
                          and "brainstormed" those solutions.

                          I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
                          from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
                          meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
                          that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
                          impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
                          to see it.

                          I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
                          the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
                          and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
                          Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
                          serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
                          higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
                          recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
                          stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

                          Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
                          pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
                          else to do with it.

                          One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
                          Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
                          running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
                          the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
                          guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
                          the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
                          and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
                          demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
                          presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
                          occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

                          Yours in Service,

                          Don Wilson
                        • Natalie Bozier
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                            What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
                            information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
                            problem with a concerned scouter attending?

                            Natalie

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
                            >

                            > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
                            > >

                            > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
                            Meeting.

                            > Best wishes,
                            >
                            > Neil Lupton

                          • bill smith
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
                              Someone in your council does have the information.
                              Depending on size National mails packets to
                              several professionals and volunteers. Our council
                              in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
                              source of information might be the Scout
                              Executive's secretary.

                              One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
                              to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
                              years there has been a bit of picketing so security
                              has picked up.

                              It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
                              only let us drones in.

                              bill smith

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                                The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                                There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                                improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                                Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                                on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                                However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                                the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                                of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                                do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                                choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                                It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                                the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                                --

                                bill smith
                                The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                  Where or is there a link for this conference?

                                  Scott Truax

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                                    > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                                    >
                                    > Scott Truax

                                    Go to the National Web Site.
                                    Log into MyScouting.
                                    Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                                    The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                                    Choose National Annual Meeting.
                                    A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                                    Scoll to the last page.
                                    Click on Register Now.
                                    It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                                    Jamie