Re: [Scouter_T] Re: National Meeting

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
      Even if we don't have the stock number I'm sure a quick call to
      the National SUpply Service in NC, 1 800 323 0732, would get you one by
      return post.

      Dave

      Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E] wrote:

      > Ida et al,
      > This is the reply I got from my council's Scout Exec:
      >
      > "Yes there is a new syllabus and we will order it this week."
      >
      > Pete Mullaney

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
    • Teresa P Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
        It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
        that one a whirl.

        Teresa Hall

        Even if we don't have the stock number I'm sure a quick call to
        the National SUpply Service in NC, 1 800 323 0732, would get you one by
        return post.

        Dave

        Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E] wrote:

        > Ida et al,
        > This is the reply I got from my council's Scout Exec:
        >
        > "Yes there is a new syllabus and we will order it this week."
        >
        > Pete Mullaney

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
          I'm sorry, but # 33640 is the stock number for the Boy Scout
          Intriduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, IOLS.

          Dave

          Teresa P Hall wrote:

          > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
          > that one a whirl.
          >
          > Teresa Hall

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
        • Teresa P Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
            Well, darn. Thanks. I haven't been able to get a call through to
            National Supply yet, keep getting bounced to voice mail, but will try
            again this week. - Teresa

            Teresa P Hall wrote:

            > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005:
            No.13-33640. Give
            > that one a whirl.
            >
            > Teresa Hall

          • bill smith
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
              I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
              Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
              with any list members there.

              One of the session I will attend is the President's
              Challenge. Here is the blurb on in it:

              The President's Challenge

              The national president of the Boy Scouts of America has declared an
              "open season" on all untrained Cub Scout Leaders. Every boy deserves a
              trained leader, so come and find out what the latest research is telling
              us and what new materials and approaches are available to help local
              councils improve their retention of Cub Scouts by increasing the
              percentage of trained leaders.

              These sessions vary greatly in quality from
              very good to ho-hum. But anyway I would love to
              get ideas from both new leaders and old trainers
              and anyone in between on what I should look for and
              what questions to ask.

              bill smith
              cncl. rep. from
              Cascade Pacific Council
              Portland, OR.

            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
                In a message dated 4/3/07 5:55:24 PM, wts@... writes:

                > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
                > Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
                > with any list members there.

                Hello Bill,

                I hope to be there.

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • Kevin Pate
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
                  > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA

                  Alas, being there is not in my plans.

                  Not expecting to see it in 07, or even 08, but it sure
                  could be interesting, as an expansion of the digital
                  headway BSA seems to be making, if annual meeting
                  presentations were to be captured, burned to DVD and
                  distributed out to councils.

                  Kevin in Norman, America
                  who more than kinda sorta wishes he could get
                  back to Atlanta for a visit, annual meeting or
                  no.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                    How does one get information on the National Meeting

                  • Gerry Moon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Are y'all talking about "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders"?
                      If so, it's bin item 13-33640 from 2005 and I've had it well over a
                      year. Or are you refencing something that has has gone thru either a
                      revision or a whole new iteration? OWL predates my "old" syllabus
                      which is "WOLT" - Webelos Outdoor Leader Training - and, IMHO, WOLT is
                      a better course than OLSWL. OLSWL works, however - I just taught it
                      about a month ago and everything went quite OK.

                      Gerry Moon
                      Orlando, FL

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:

                      > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus at
                      the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend? Can this be
                      confirmed?

                      > Ida

                    • bill smith
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Kevin,
                        that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
                        provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

                        Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
                        with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

                        bill

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                          In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

                          > How does one get information on the National Meeting

                          Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

                          Best wishes,

                          Neil Lupton

                        • Don Wilson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                            Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
                            had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
                            50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
                            gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
                            was not prepared.

                            We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
                            meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
                            "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
                            that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
                            than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
                            High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
                            the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
                            Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
                            and "brainstormed" those solutions.

                            I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
                            from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
                            meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
                            that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
                            impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
                            to see it.

                            I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
                            the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
                            and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
                            Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
                            serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
                            higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
                            recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
                            stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

                            Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
                            pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
                            else to do with it.

                            One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
                            Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
                            running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
                            the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
                            guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
                            the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
                            and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
                            demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
                            presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
                            occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

                            Yours in Service,

                            Don Wilson
                          • Natalie Bozier
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                              What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
                              information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
                              problem with a concerned scouter attending?

                              Natalie

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
                              >

                              > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
                              > >

                              > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
                              Meeting.

                              > Best wishes,
                              >
                              > Neil Lupton

                            • bill smith
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
                                Someone in your council does have the information.
                                Depending on size National mails packets to
                                several professionals and volunteers. Our council
                                in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
                                source of information might be the Scout
                                Executive's secretary.

                                One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
                                to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
                                years there has been a bit of picketing so security
                                has picked up.

                                It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
                                only let us drones in.

                                bill smith

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                  I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                                  The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                                  There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                                  improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                                  Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                                  on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                                  However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                                  the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                                  of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                                  do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                                  choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                                  It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                                  the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                                  --

                                  bill smith
                                  The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                    Where or is there a link for this conference?

                                    Scott Truax

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                                      > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                                      >
                                      > Scott Truax

                                      Go to the National Web Site.
                                      Log into MyScouting.
                                      Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                                      The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                                      Choose National Annual Meeting.
                                      A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                                      Scoll to the last page.
                                      Click on Register Now.
                                      It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                                      Jamie