RE: [Scouter_T] Re: National Meeting

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2005
      Ida et al,
      This is the reply I got from my council's Scout Exec:

      "Yes there is a new syllabus and we will order it this week."

      Pete Mullaney

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
        Ida Lively asked:
        > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus
        > at the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend?
        > Can this be confirmed?

        Wellllllllll, isn't that interesting??? I didn't attend. (Heck, I wasn't
        invited!)
        But, I work about 2 miles from the meeting's location (Gaylord Texan hotel
        near DFW Airport). If I'd known such interesting stuff was goin' on, I
        mighta snuck over for a peek at coming attractions. ;^) Alas.

        -Ken
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
          Even if we don't have the stock number I'm sure a quick call to
          the National SUpply Service in NC, 1 800 323 0732, would get you one by
          return post.

          Dave

          Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E] wrote:

          > Ida et al,
          > This is the reply I got from my council's Scout Exec:
          >
          > "Yes there is a new syllabus and we will order it this week."
          >
          > Pete Mullaney

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
        • Teresa P Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
            It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
            that one a whirl.

            Teresa Hall

            Even if we don't have the stock number I'm sure a quick call to
            the National SUpply Service in NC, 1 800 323 0732, would get you one by
            return post.

            Dave

            Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E] wrote:

            > Ida et al,
            > This is the reply I got from my council's Scout Exec:
            >
            > "Yes there is a new syllabus and we will order it this week."
            >
            > Pete Mullaney

            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dave Loomis
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
              I'm sorry, but # 33640 is the stock number for the Boy Scout
              Intriduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, IOLS.

              Dave

              Teresa P Hall wrote:

              > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005: No.13-33640. Give
              > that one a whirl.
              >
              > Teresa Hall

              245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
            • Teresa P Hall
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                Well, darn. Thanks. I haven't been able to get a call through to
                National Supply yet, keep getting bounced to voice mail, but will try
                again this week. - Teresa

                Teresa P Hall wrote:

                > It was in the Cub Scout Outdoor Guidelines for 2005:
                No.13-33640. Give
                > that one a whirl.
                >
                > Teresa Hall

              • bill smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3 2:54 PM
                  I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
                  Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
                  with any list members there.

                  One of the session I will attend is the President's
                  Challenge. Here is the blurb on in it:

                  The President's Challenge

                  The national president of the Boy Scouts of America has declared an
                  "open season" on all untrained Cub Scout Leaders. Every boy deserves a
                  trained leader, so come and find out what the latest research is telling
                  us and what new materials and approaches are available to help local
                  councils improve their retention of Cub Scouts by increasing the
                  percentage of trained leaders.

                  These sessions vary greatly in quality from
                  very good to ho-hum. But anyway I would love to
                  get ideas from both new leaders and old trainers
                  and anyone in between on what I should look for and
                  what questions to ask.

                  bill smith
                  cncl. rep. from
                  Cascade Pacific Council
                  Portland, OR.

                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3 2:57 PM
                    In a message dated 4/3/07 5:55:24 PM, wts@... writes:

                    > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA in
                    > Atlanta next month. I would certainly like to meet up
                    > with any list members there.

                    Hello Bill,

                    I hope to be there.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton

                  • Kevin Pate
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 4:03 PM
                      > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA

                      Alas, being there is not in my plans.

                      Not expecting to see it in 07, or even 08, but it sure
                      could be interesting, as an expansion of the digital
                      headway BSA seems to be making, if annual meeting
                      presentations were to be captured, burned to DVD and
                      distributed out to councils.

                      Kevin in Norman, America
                      who more than kinda sorta wishes he could get
                      back to Atlanta for a visit, annual meeting or
                      no.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4 9:00 AM
                        How does one get information on the National Meeting

                      • Gerry Moon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4 10:29 AM
                          Are y'all talking about "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders"?
                          If so, it's bin item 13-33640 from 2005 and I've had it well over a
                          year. Or are you refencing something that has has gone thru either a
                          revision or a whole new iteration? OWL predates my "old" syllabus
                          which is "WOLT" - Webelos Outdoor Leader Training - and, IMHO, WOLT is
                          a better course than OLSWL. OLSWL works, however - I just taught it
                          about a month ago and everything went quite OK.

                          Gerry Moon
                          Orlando, FL

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:

                          > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus at
                          the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend? Can this be
                          confirmed?

                          > Ida

                        • bill smith
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4 10:47 AM
                            Kevin,
                            that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
                            provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

                            Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
                            with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

                            bill

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 4 2:04 PM
                              In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

                              > How does one get information on the National Meeting

                              Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

                              Best wishes,

                              Neil Lupton

                            • Don Wilson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 4 6:46 PM
                                Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
                                had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
                                50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
                                gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
                                was not prepared.

                                We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
                                meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
                                "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
                                that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
                                than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
                                High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
                                the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
                                Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
                                and "brainstormed" those solutions.

                                I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
                                from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
                                meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
                                that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
                                impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
                                to see it.

                                I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
                                the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
                                and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
                                Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
                                serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
                                higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
                                recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
                                stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

                                Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
                                pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
                                else to do with it.

                                One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
                                Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
                                running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
                                the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
                                guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
                                the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
                                and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
                                demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
                                presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
                                occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

                                Yours in Service,

                                Don Wilson
                              • Natalie Bozier
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10 9:57 PM
                                  What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
                                  information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
                                  problem with a concerned scouter attending?

                                  Natalie

                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
                                  > >

                                  > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
                                  Meeting.

                                  > Best wishes,
                                  >
                                  > Neil Lupton

                                • bill smith
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 11 7:26 AM
                                    Someone in your council does have the information.
                                    Depending on size National mails packets to
                                    several professionals and volunteers. Our council
                                    in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
                                    source of information might be the Scout
                                    Executive's secretary.

                                    One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
                                    to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
                                    years there has been a bit of picketing so security
                                    has picked up.

                                    It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
                                    only let us drones in.

                                    bill smith

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 10 11:21 AM
                                      I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                                      The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                                      There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                                      improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                                      Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                                      on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                                      However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                                      the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                                      of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                                      do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                                      choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                                      It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                                      the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                                      --

                                      bill smith
                                      The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 10 12:07 PM
                                        Where or is there a link for this conference?

                                        Scott Truax

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 10 2:48 PM
                                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                                          > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                                          >
                                          > Scott Truax

                                          Go to the National Web Site.
                                          Log into MyScouting.
                                          Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                                          The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                                          Choose National Annual Meeting.
                                          A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                                          Scoll to the last page.
                                          Click on Register Now.
                                          It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                                          Jamie