WLOT/OWL Syllabus

  • Beavalo
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12 12:39 PM
      What's the rush with the Webelos Syllabus?

      We've only been waiting for 5 years---what's a few more months,
      or years for that matter?

      Many District Trainers don't have the current(?)syllabus---"new
      one's coming in the fall"---since 2000. Many Council's don't even
      have an old copy---same reason. If not for the trainers that never
      throw anything out....

      Everyone's seen NEW Cub Scout Leader Book? Yep, it's real; had to
      wait for the Scout Shop to sell off all the old ones before they'd
      put them out for sale---pretty sad, huh?

      How do YOU get the updated information from National?
      What's worse than passing on obsolete info...unless it's not doing
      the training at all.

      Anyone heard of a Pack Trainer Training Session yet?

      Many questions---few answers.

      Love the program, Loathe the politics....

      but still riding the Council Carrousel of volunteer support.
    • Michael Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13 8:59 AM
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Beavalo" <beavalo@y...> wrote:
        > What's the rush with the Webelos Syllabus?
        >
        > We've only been waiting for 5 years---what's a few more months,
        > or years for that matter?
        >
        > Many District Trainers don't have the current(?)syllabus---"new
        > one's coming in the fall"---since 2000. Many Council's don't even
        > have an old copy---same reason. If not for the trainers that never
        > throw anything out....
        >
        > Everyone's seen NEW Cub Scout Leader Book? Yep, it's real; had to
        > wait for the Scout Shop to sell off all the old ones before they'd
        > put them out for sale---pretty sad, huh?
        >
        > How do YOU get the updated information from National?

        Uh, I call National Supply at 800-323-0732 and order the stuff. Why
        are you relaying on your Scout Shop/Council Office to get the latest
        editions???

        > What's worse than passing on obsolete info...unless it's not doing
        > the training at all.

        Not taking the time to find out what is the current info???

        Michael Brown
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14 12:45 PM
          Thanks for bringing this up again, Mike. About every 5-6 months
          I try to get in a plug for both the NSS in NC, and the Scouting Library
          of Literature, now combined with the directory of BSA AV products, which
          lists all of the regular BSA publications, and shows the new or revised
          ones. I guess you can't beat this horse too strongly, sine folks still
          seem to raise questions that indicate that they do not read their
          applicable BSA booklet(s).

          Dave

          Michael Brown wrote:

          > > How do YOU get the updated information from National?
          >
          > Uh, I call National Supply at 800-323-0732 and order the stuff. Why
          > are you relaying on your Scout Shop/Council Office to get the latest
          > editions???
          >

          > > What's worse than passing on obsolete info...unless it's not doing
          > > the training at all.
          > >

          > Not taking the time to find out what is the current info???
          >
          > Michael Brown

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
        • Kris Monroe
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15 8:36 AM
            I tried to get a copy of this and was told that it was only available to
            paid scouters and so I could not have one.

            Based on your email, it would seem that was not correct?

            Kris

            Dave Loomis wrote:

            > and the Scouting Library
            >of Literature, now combined with the directory of BSA AV products,

          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16 8:00 AM

              > How do YOU get the updated information from National?

              Uh, I call National Supply at 800-323-0732 and order the stuff. Why
              are you relaying on your Scout Shop/Council Office to get the latest
              editions???

              > What's worse than passing on obsolete info...unless it's not doing
              > the training at all.

              Not taking the time to find out what is the current info???

              Michael Brown

              Is it wrong to expect the trained (and paid) professionals to
              do a good job?

              Pete M.

            • Keith Tilley
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16 9:47 AM
                Kris Monroe asked about getting a copy of the Library of Literature catalog,
                saying: "I tried to get a copy of this and was told that it was only
                available to paid scouters and so I could not have one."

                Some of National's publications are meant for sale to Scouters at large.
                You can buy these publications either through National Supply or at your
                local Scout Shop. Other documents, however, are not meant to be sold for
                various reasons, usually because they're not appropriate for mass
                distribution, or because their content is interesting to such a small group
                that printing them for sale wouldn't be financially prudent. These are
                colloquially called "bin items" and can usually be identified by the
                presence of a hyphen in their order numbers.

                It's not exactly accurate that bin items are only available to paid
                Scouters. They do have to be ordered by your council, and your council pays
                for them, but your council professionals should be happy to share them with
                you if they can. You should also be aware that some items have limited
                distribution, such that councils are only entitled to a certain number of
                them, so if your professional can't give you a copy, that's probably why.

                Now, you could ask why the Library catalog is a bin item - frankly, I'd pay
                a few bucks for it every year - but all I can say is that history must not
                bear me out.

                Keith Tilley
                Rip Van Winkle Council, NY
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16 12:42 PM
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Kris Monroe <lightbulb@y...> wrote:
                  > I tried to get a copy of this and was told that it was only available
                  > paid scouters and so I could not have one.
                  >
                  > Based on your email, it would seem that was not correct?

                  News to me. I've been able to call National Supply and request a copy
                  of this catalog for several years. Haven't done so this year.

                  Michael Brown
                • Kris Monroe
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 16 12:46 PM
                    I asked a professional who replied he had no idea what I was talking
                    about, then I had asked in the scout shop for them to order one for me
                    and that was who told me it was only for paid scouters.

                    However, I called National supply today and a very nice lady said she
                    would send one right out.

                    Thanks
                    Kris