Re: [Scouter_T] Fast Start for Training Staff??

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2005
      If you are one of the people on the Council Training Committee, by
      virtue of your district position or if you talk to the District Training Chair,
      why not ask for more TDC classes?

      TDC is required for prospective Wood Badge staff, Pack Trainers, and
      should be a part of local training people's background.

      If you find it hard to get this training for your people perhaps you
      could staff a course in your area of the council, so that you can get your
      potential trainers fully trained, as well as provide the training for nearby
      districts..

      Dave

      brant@... wrote:,

      > Dave,
      >
      > I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub
      > Scout perspective.
      >
      > First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained
      > trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the
      > experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll
      > take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my
      > experienced trainers.
      >
      > Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per
      > year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the
      > USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time
      > between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while
      > it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I
      > teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST
      > courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with
      > powerpoints without technology?
      >
      > Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety
      > of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND
      > FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.
      >
      > Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up
      > (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop
      > training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5
      > folks from the Cub area to help out with training.
      >
      > Brant

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225