RE: [Scouter_T] Fast Start for Training Staff??

  • Randy Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2005
      Brant and everyone,

      Sorry I meant to reply only to Brant.

      My apologies,

      Randy Bradshaw

      Johnson Electric Company
      4375 Lindbergh Drive
      Addison, TX 75001
      972-387-4770 - tele
      972-387-1324 - fax
      214-535-5222 - cell

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Randy Bradshaw
      Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 11:39 AM
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Scouter_T] Fast Start for Training Staff??

      Brant,

      There is usually at least two TDC's if you check with Council Woodbadge
      committee. This year there was one in February and another in June. If
      attendance is enough they will have another but in the past couple of years
      attendance has not been very good. Just like our trainings in the District
      the larger the demand the more courses that will be offered. I attended the
      one earlier this year and it was not very well attended from Great Plains
      compared to the other two I have attended. Just thought you would like to
      know.

      Regards,

      Randy Bradshaw

      Johnson Electric Company
      4375 Lindbergh Drive
      Addison, TX 75001
      972-387-4770 - tele
      972-387-1324 - fax
      214-535-5222 - cell

      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2005
        Frank, I would look at the binder that has the New Leader Essentials syllabus. Included in there is something called "hints for trainers" (or something similiar). It has a lot of the basic info you want a new trainer to have.

        As a point of information, TDC can be presented in a district setting. We have done this a couple times. We parcel out the sessions among the trainers, and take turns presenting or being learners. Works well.

        YiS,
        Jamie Dunn
        Pack Trainer
        P. 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District

      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2005
          If you are one of the people on the Council Training Committee, by
          virtue of your district position or if you talk to the District Training Chair,
          why not ask for more TDC classes?

          TDC is required for prospective Wood Badge staff, Pack Trainers, and
          should be a part of local training people's background.

          If you find it hard to get this training for your people perhaps you
          could staff a course in your area of the council, so that you can get your
          potential trainers fully trained, as well as provide the training for nearby
          districts..

          Dave

          brant@... wrote:,

          > Dave,
          >
          > I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub
          > Scout perspective.
          >
          > First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained
          > trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the
          > experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll
          > take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my
          > experienced trainers.
          >
          > Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per
          > year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the
          > USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time
          > between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while
          > it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I
          > teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST
          > courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with
          > powerpoints without technology?
          >
          > Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety
          > of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND
          > FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.
          >
          > Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up
          > (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop
          > training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5
          > folks from the Cub area to help out with training.
          >
          > Brant

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225