Re: [Scouter_T] Fast Start for Training Staff??

  • Frank Maynard
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2005
      On Fri, 6 May 2005, Dave Loomis wrote:

      > I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in
      > Training to train in your area?

      Actually, most of our training staff consists of experienced trainers,
      most of whom are more experienced than me, but we are always recruiting
      new trainers, some of whom might only be able to do one session, or might
      not be able to attend TDC. What I'm looking for is a quick review (for the
      veterans) and introduction (for the new people) to training - how to talk
      to a group, make the material interesting, proper etiquette, that sort of
      thing, so that we are all starting on the same page. TDC will happen in
      the near future but I'd like to do something that will get everyone up to
      speed until then.

      It looks like the material in the Trainer Code of Conduct, in the Files
      section, would be a good starting point.

      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
      ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
      Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
      Novi, Michigan
    • brant@lippincott.us
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2005
        Dave,

        I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub Scout perspective.

        First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my experienced trainers.

        Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with powerpoints without technology?

        Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.

        Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5 folks from the Cub area to help out with training.

        Brant

        Dave Loomis <dloomis@...> wrote:
        I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in Training to train in your area? TDC is designed to give these folks a broad overview of training methods, so that they can become good trainers, and is usually given to both your training team people and your Pack Trainers. Once they have this under their belt then they can work at providing small units of instruction until they get up to speed and are comfortable with longer stints.

      • Randy Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2005
          Brant,

          There is usually at least two TDC's if you check with Council Woodbadge
          committee. This year there was one in February and another in June. If
          attendance is enough they will have another but in the past couple of years
          attendance has not been very good. Just like our trainings in the District
          the larger the demand the more courses that will be offered. I attended the
          one earlier this year and it was not very well attended from Great Plains
          compared to the other two I have attended. Just thought you would like to
          know.

          Regards,

          Randy Bradshaw

          Johnson Electric Company
          4375 Lindbergh Drive
          Addison, TX 75001
          972-387-4770 - tele
          972-387-1324 - fax
          214-535-5222 - cell

          Dave Loomis <dloomis@...> wrote:
          I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in Training to
          train in your area? TDC is designed to give these folks a broad overview
          of training methods, so that they can become good trainers, and is usually
          given to both your training team people and your Pack Trainers. Once they
          have this under their belt then they can work at providing small units of
          instruction until they get up to speed and are comfortable with longer
          stints.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Randy Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2005
            Brant and everyone,

            Sorry I meant to reply only to Brant.

            My apologies,

            Randy Bradshaw

            Johnson Electric Company
            4375 Lindbergh Drive
            Addison, TX 75001
            972-387-4770 - tele
            972-387-1324 - fax
            214-535-5222 - cell

            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2005
              Frank, I would look at the binder that has the New Leader Essentials syllabus. Included in there is something called "hints for trainers" (or something similiar). It has a lot of the basic info you want a new trainer to have.

              As a point of information, TDC can be presented in a district setting. We have done this a couple times. We parcel out the sessions among the trainers, and take turns presenting or being learners. Works well.

              YiS,
              Jamie Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              P. 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              3 Rivers District

            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2005
                If you are one of the people on the Council Training Committee, by
                virtue of your district position or if you talk to the District Training Chair,
                why not ask for more TDC classes?

                TDC is required for prospective Wood Badge staff, Pack Trainers, and
                should be a part of local training people's background.

                If you find it hard to get this training for your people perhaps you
                could staff a course in your area of the council, so that you can get your
                potential trainers fully trained, as well as provide the training for nearby
                districts..

                Dave

                brant@... wrote:,

                > Dave,
                >
                > I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub
                > Scout perspective.
                >
                > First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained
                > trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the
                > experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll
                > take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my
                > experienced trainers.
                >
                > Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per
                > year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the
                > USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time
                > between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while
                > it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I
                > teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST
                > courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with
                > powerpoints without technology?
                >
                > Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety
                > of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND
                > FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.
                >
                > Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up
                > (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop
                > training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5
                > folks from the Cub area to help out with training.
                >
                > Brant

                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225