Re: [Scouter_T] Fast Start for Training Staff??

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2005
      I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in
      Training to train in your area? TDC is designed to give these folks a
      broad overview of training methods, so that they can become good
      trainers, and is usually given to both your training team people and
      your Pack Trainers. Once they have this under their belt then they can
      work at providing small units of instruction until they get up to speed
      and are comfortable with longer stints.

      Dave

      Frank Maynard wrote:

      > Has anyone come up with or used any sort of Fast Start training aimed at
      > Cub training staffers themselves? I'd like to do a short presentation that
      > would give them an orientation to being a trainer, some basics on
      > presenting the material, what to say and what not to say, etc. This would
      > get them started until we could do TDC. Sort of like what Cub Leader Fast
      > Start is to NLE/LST. We have a combination of veterans and new trainers
      > and it would be a good review for all.
      >
      > --
      > YiS,
      > Frank Maynard, NF8M
      > CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
      > ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
      > Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
      > Novi, Michigan

      To reply, click on the address below.

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Frank Maynard
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2005
        On Fri, 6 May 2005, Dave Loomis wrote:

        > I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in
        > Training to train in your area?

        Actually, most of our training staff consists of experienced trainers,
        most of whom are more experienced than me, but we are always recruiting
        new trainers, some of whom might only be able to do one session, or might
        not be able to attend TDC. What I'm looking for is a quick review (for the
        veterans) and introduction (for the new people) to training - how to talk
        to a group, make the material interesting, proper etiquette, that sort of
        thing, so that we are all starting on the same page. TDC will happen in
        the near future but I'd like to do something that will get everyone up to
        speed until then.

        It looks like the material in the Trainer Code of Conduct, in the Files
        section, would be a good starting point.

      • brant@lippincott.us
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2005
          Dave,

          I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub Scout perspective.

          First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my experienced trainers.

          Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with powerpoints without technology?

          Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.

          Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5 folks from the Cub area to help out with training.

          Brant

          Dave Loomis <dloomis@...> wrote:
          I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in Training to train in your area? TDC is designed to give these folks a broad overview of training methods, so that they can become good trainers, and is usually given to both your training team people and your Pack Trainers. Once they have this under their belt then they can work at providing small units of instruction until they get up to speed and are comfortable with longer stints.

        • Randy Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2005
            Brant,

            There is usually at least two TDC's if you check with Council Woodbadge
            committee. This year there was one in February and another in June. If
            attendance is enough they will have another but in the past couple of years
            attendance has not been very good. Just like our trainings in the District
            the larger the demand the more courses that will be offered. I attended the
            one earlier this year and it was not very well attended from Great Plains
            compared to the other two I have attended. Just thought you would like to
            know.

            Regards,

            Randy Bradshaw

            Johnson Electric Company
            4375 Lindbergh Drive
            Addison, TX 75001
            972-387-4770 - tele
            972-387-1324 - fax
            214-535-5222 - cell

            Dave Loomis <dloomis@...> wrote:
            I guess I have to ask why you are using people inexperienced in Training to
            train in your area? TDC is designed to give these folks a broad overview
            of training methods, so that they can become good trainers, and is usually
            given to both your training team people and your Pack Trainers. Once they
            have this under their belt then they can work at providing small units of
            instruction until they get up to speed and are comfortable with longer
            stints.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Randy Bradshaw
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2005
              Brant and everyone,

              Sorry I meant to reply only to Brant.

              My apologies,

              Randy Bradshaw

              Johnson Electric Company
              4375 Lindbergh Drive
              Addison, TX 75001
              972-387-4770 - tele
              972-387-1324 - fax
              214-535-5222 - cell

              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2005
                Frank, I would look at the binder that has the New Leader Essentials syllabus. Included in there is something called "hints for trainers" (or something similiar). It has a lot of the basic info you want a new trainer to have.

                As a point of information, TDC can be presented in a district setting. We have done this a couple times. We parcel out the sessions among the trainers, and take turns presenting or being learners. Works well.

                YiS,
                Jamie Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                P. 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Chair
                3 Rivers District

              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2005
                  If you are one of the people on the Council Training Committee, by
                  virtue of your district position or if you talk to the District Training Chair,
                  why not ask for more TDC classes?

                  TDC is required for prospective Wood Badge staff, Pack Trainers, and
                  should be a part of local training people's background.

                  If you find it hard to get this training for your people perhaps you
                  could staff a course in your area of the council, so that you can get your
                  potential trainers fully trained, as well as provide the training for nearby
                  districts..

                  Dave

                  brant@... wrote:,

                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > I have several disagreements with your thoughts. I'm speaking from a Cub
                  > Scout perspective.
                  >
                  > First, I do not have an excess in the number of people that are trained
                  > trainers. In fact, as the last couple of years have gone by, some of the
                  > experienced trainers have moved on and I'm left with very few trainers. I'll
                  > take anyone with some experience in a role and pair them with one of my
                  > experienced trainers.
                  >
                  > Second, I have a couple of problems with TDC. It's only offerred ONCE per
                  > year around here and then for the entire Council (one of the biggest in the
                  > USA) so it's hard to get people into it and since there is such a long time
                  > between courses, it's not available when I've got new people. Also, while
                  > it's a really good course for what it covers, it DOES NOT cover "how do I
                  > teach a course with a already-prepared syllabus (Like NLE or any of the LST
                  > courses for Cubs)? How do I deal with a course designed to be presented with
                  > powerpoints without technology?
                  >
                  > Experience is the best teacher. My best trainers have been through a variety
                  > of roles in the pack and are willing to share their knowlege, skill, etc. AND
                  > FOLLOW THE SYLABUS.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, just like all things Cub, they eventually their boys grow up
                  > (and sometimes move on to BOY scouts) or grow tired of it and they stop
                  > training. So, now I'm in th eposition of having to recruit another 4 or 5
                  > folks from the Cub area to help out with training.
                  >
                  > Brant

                  245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225