Re: IOLS and OWL

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      IOLS - I said "optional" TCC Friday night. That seems to be the best time we (particpants and staff) have for doign the 3-hour TCC course. Yes, they should take it (if they want to know about the function of the Troop Committee), but since we've seen several sessions ask about the function(s) of those in the Troop Committee, we have decided to have it available as an 'option' Friday night.

      My cohort in crime (Training Chair in a sister district) has created a schedule to allow IOLS to be taught at Summer Camp (without hurting the two-deep requirement). Because the Scoutmasters said they would take a 'refresher' if it fit into their schedule. They're a 'captive audience' at Scout Camp, so why not?

      OWL - We covered the stuff in the syllabus for first aid (first aid kits, etc.), but our WLs want more. They want the practical stuff. That's why we're going to have the ARC/AHA schedules added to their packets.

      One of the things we tell our attendees is that this is their chance to be the boys. This is their time to have fun.

      Anyway ... it's working for our Council. I'm not proclaiming any of this as 'the law,' just what works for us. I offer it to you as possibilities/options you might consider.

      Scoutingly yours,
      Ida
    • wildlandfire55
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
        I am the head instructor for an IOLS here in NM in September. We have
        never, never ever, had Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders in our
        council.

        I need help, I want to hold these together.

        Has anyone done it?
        How did it go?
        Was there too much Scout items for the Webelo leaders?

        Any pros or cons would be great..

        YiS,

        Jeff

        Great Southwest Council
      • Michael Crothers
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
          Follow the syllabus and you should do OK.

          It went good for us. We have them arrive Friday evening, let them pick out their camp site and
          do a couple of sessions Friday and end the evening with a cracker barrel.

          Yours In Scouting

          Mike Crothers

          Assistant District Commissioner
          Spanish Trails District
          Catalina Council

          and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
          and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06