Re: [Scouter_T] membership, BALOO, OWL and IOLS

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      Ida wrote...

      [snip]
      > IOLS - more information about how the Troop Committee functions
      > to support the scoutmaster. Decision: OPTIONAL Troop Committee
      > Challenge session on Friday evening.

      The Troop Committee Challenge is meant for members of the Troop
      Committee. It's not part of the outdoor program per se.

      The course needs a minimum of 3 hours to be run properly, and would
      not be "cost effective" in the IOLS environment. At least that's
      my perspective.

      Also, there is a limited time to train these people in what they
      _need_ to know (OLS), and it's hard enough getting that time. The
      leaders and members taking these courses may not know what was cut
      so that other things could be added, or cut because of time. The
      instructors will, and will know the value of what they didn't pass
      on.

      In my District, one of the most frustrating things to me is the
      fact that the syllabus says the course takes 10 hours, the room is
      only available for 8, and the attendees won't come unless it's 4.
      Or less. We need to be allowing more time for training, not
      cutting that time. Whether we cut it by actually reducing the
      session length, or by adding other material really doesn't matter.
      Just stick to the syllabus.

      Also, I believe the actual quote (from "The Ten Commandments") was:
      "So let it be written, so let it be done".

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        troop committee challenge doesn't belong with the SM outdoor training. If they want that they should take it separately. You have enough to cover without adding that too.

        sanitation with cooking- yes

        OWL- first aid in the course is not the readyman pin. The syllabus says to just quickly go over the requirements. you are teaching basic first aid for the adults that will be on the camp out- it even talks about going over types of first aid kits that should be taken on the camp out.

        our OWL this weekend had 9 people- we don't do an overnight one. ours goes from 8AM to 8PM on a Saturday.

        Sandy OWL

        BALOO - I'm happy to report that we had 22 attend our recent BALOO training.
        OWL - I started OWL with 10 participants, but by the end of the course I was
        down to 7.
        IOLS - We had 9 members pre-registered, but two got caught up in