RE: [Scouter_T] membership, BALOO, OWL and IOLS

  • Alan Smason
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      Hmmm...perhaps someone has a recipe for Devil's Food Cake or Deviled Eggs
      that they'd like to share.

      Alan Smason
      Southeast Louisiana Council

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        Ida wrote...

        [snip]
        > IOLS - more information about how the Troop Committee functions
        > to support the scoutmaster. Decision: OPTIONAL Troop Committee
        > Challenge session on Friday evening.

        The Troop Committee Challenge is meant for members of the Troop
        Committee. It's not part of the outdoor program per se.

        The course needs a minimum of 3 hours to be run properly, and would
        not be "cost effective" in the IOLS environment. At least that's
        my perspective.

        Also, there is a limited time to train these people in what they
        _need_ to know (OLS), and it's hard enough getting that time. The
        leaders and members taking these courses may not know what was cut
        so that other things could be added, or cut because of time. The
        instructors will, and will know the value of what they didn't pass
        on.

        In my District, one of the most frustrating things to me is the
        fact that the syllabus says the course takes 10 hours, the room is
        only available for 8, and the attendees won't come unless it's 4.
        Or less. We need to be allowing more time for training, not
        cutting that time. Whether we cut it by actually reducing the
        session length, or by adding other material really doesn't matter.
        Just stick to the syllabus.

        Also, I believe the actual quote (from "The Ten Commandments") was:
        "So let it be written, so let it be done".

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2005
          Alan Smason wrote...

          > Hmmm...perhaps someone has a recipe for Devil's Food Cake or
          > Deviled Eggs that they'd like to share.

          The easiest way that I know of to do deviled eggs is to use
          "sandwich spread". I don't know who makes any other than Kraft.

          Hard boil the eggs, peel them, cut them, and save out the yokes.
          Mix the sandwich spread into the yokes to taste, and spoon it into
          the egg halves.

          If you have any left, you didn't do it right. ;)

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            troop committee challenge doesn't belong with the SM outdoor training. If they want that they should take it separately. You have enough to cover without adding that too.

            sanitation with cooking- yes

            OWL- first aid in the course is not the readyman pin. The syllabus says to just quickly go over the requirements. you are teaching basic first aid for the adults that will be on the camp out- it even talks about going over types of first aid kits that should be taken on the camp out.

            our OWL this weekend had 9 people- we don't do an overnight one. ours goes from 8AM to 8PM on a Saturday.

            Sandy OWL